Star Lord Blasters, Nerf Gun Modification

DarkJedi1500

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I'm juming on the Star Lord bandwagon and started with the blasters. Like may people I bought the Nerf gun, but while I was happy with the detail on the handle, the barrels were to wide and mis-shapped for my taste, so I decided to make a new sculpt.

Basically, I cut the handle out and sculpted the barrles using foam and MDF.

IMG_1769 by 2StoryProps, on Flickr

IMG_1771 by 2StoryProps, on Flickr

IMG_1785 by 2StoryProps, on Flickr

The ends were sculpted out of plastic and blended to the body with apoxy sculpt. I was also able to save the vents from the original nerf gun.

IMG_1795 by 2StoryProps, on Flickr

IMG_1796 by 2StoryProps, on Flickr

IMG_1804 by 2StoryProps, on Flickr

After some sanding and carving, I got to here:

IMG_1804 by 2StoryProps, on Flickr

I created a two part mold with rebound 40 (one half is dyed so I could see the seam when seperating the layers. The first casting was Smooth Cast 320. I am currently tying to lighten the blaster by casting it with foam inside.

IMG_1875 by 2StoryProps, on Flickr

IMG_1876 by 2StoryProps, on Flickr

Before I can paint them I have to finalize the holster assembly and install the magnets. Hopefully this will be done in the next two weeks.

Very cool! I like your approach on this, I did some thing very similar with my guns. Keep up the good work, can't wait to see the finished guns.

After the initial casting I realized I needed to lighten the guns up a bit. I went with a quick and dirty approach of casting the guns with foam inside. While this worked, it left a lot of bubbles I had to drill out and fill with bondo.

IMG_1879 by 2StoryProps, on Flickr

One benifit though was having a solid handle. On each gun a rare earth magnet was epoxied it which atracts a similar magnet in the holster mechanism.

IMG_1902 by 2StoryProps, on Flickr

Another magnet in the guard keeps the blaster from trying to rotate in the holster.
IMG_1905 by 2StoryProps, on Flickr

After some bondo and paint. The blasters were painted with rustoleum and Krylon paints.
IMG_1960 by 2StoryProps, on Flickr

The heat damage was made using an air brush with purple and blue paint, then the blasters were weathered with black acrylic paint
IMG_1993 by 2StoryProps, on Flickr

IMG_1994 by 2StoryProps, on Flickr

IMG_1995 by 2StoryProps, on Flickr

IMG_1996 by 2StoryProps, on Flickr

These are fantastic! The paint job really ties them together nicely. I'm also very interested if you're planning on a run.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back