Avengers: Infinity War (Pre-release)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Avengers: Infinity War

Movie Thanos is going to be a bit of a different animal than comic book Thanos. His comic attributes and motivations won't necessarily apply.

Kevin Feige said in an Entertainment Weekly interview.....
https://www.cbr.com/infinity-war-thanos-noble-motivations/

“He’s from a planet called Titan that’s no longer inhabited because of things that he thought he could help prevent, and he was not allowed to do that,” “What he feared most happened, and the planet and everybody on it basically went extinct. He vowed not to let that happen again. He thinks he sees the universe going down the tubes. He thinks he sees life expanding outward unchecked. That will bring ruin, he believes, to the universe and to that life.”

Contrast that with the comics in which Thanos is personally responsible for the destruction of Titan. Basically they want the audience to sympathize with movie Thanos to some degree.

Well maybe it's necessary, but keeping as close as they can for mass appeal.
If you read the last three graphic novels from Starlin and the comic book build up to it, which had
Thanos talking to his past selves, the character can become quite complex to try to squeeze
into a film that already has ten jillion characters fighting for screen time.
Hell Thanos could have a film of his own as build up, perhaps that is where they dropped the ball.

Assuming "Adam" and "Warlock" are the same character, he won't be in these. Because GotG3 comes out after Avengers 4, and I doubt that they're gonna throw the Sovereign storyline into Avengers 4, when she only wants revenge on the Guardians.

Assuming "Adam" and "Warlock" are the same character, he won't be in these. Because GotG3 comes out after Avengers 4, and I doubt that they're gonna throw the Sovereign storyline into Avengers 4, when she only wants revenge on the Guardians.

If that's the case then I'll have an issue with this. I would speculate Adam would show up either at the end of part 1 or in most of part 2. His character was integral in rallying the superheros into defeating Thanos in the comics, so to me, it'd be like an alternate universe where Star Wars cuts out Obi-Wan from ANH.

Not to technically be THAT guy, but Thanos isnt immortal. He was killed, and was then resurrected by Death to restore balance to the universe. Hence his quest for the infinity gems. At least thats why he does it in the comics. He tries to win her over, but she spurns him.
I guess when I think of immortal, I think "not being able to die" as opposed to not aging. He was also banned from the realm of Death, so I guess he is truly immortal.

That's a common thing. Immortal means not susceptible to the ravages of aging, or eventual death from the result of. Invincible/invulnerable refer the inability to be damaged (or killed) by outside factors -- injury, weapons, disease...

But yeah. Thanos wasn't invincible. Just immortal. His initial death was a "mistake", hence Death kicking him out. That made him nigh-invincible, to boot. That was what began Thanos' obsession with her, since he'd seen her, experienced her cold embrace briefly, only to be torn away from it, never again to know it. His motivation in getting the Infinity Gauntlet was -- and, according to the new trailer, still is -- to wipe out half the living things in the universe in an instant as a gift to Death, in hopes that would be enough to get her attention again.

ETA:

If that's the case then I'll have an issue with this. I would speculate Adam would show up either at the end of part 1 or in most of part 2. His character was integral in rallying the superheros into defeating Thanos in the comics, so to me, it'd be like an alternate universe where Star Wars cuts out Obi-Wan from ANH.

I still think people are getting too hung up on Thanos' presence in IW, and the word "Infinity". This feels more like the stuff leading up to the original Infinity Gauntlet miniseries, where Thanos was going around acquiring the stones. I feel Avengers 4 is still going to be the continuation of the specific story arc begun in IW, despite not now being explicitly named "Infinity War, Part 2". There's just too much story to cram into a ~2-hour run-time if you think this is going to also include Thanos' defeat.

And James Gunn has only said Adam Warlock won't show up until GOTG v3. Nothing about the Soul stone, or the possibility of Thanos trashing the Sovereign to get it, etc. GOTG 1&2 both take place several years prior to where we are now in-universe. I don't expect Adam to still be in that birth pod. If IW is about Thanos coming here to get the Infinity stones that are on Earth, and Avengers 4 follows him out into space to complete the set, it's possible that second film will set things up for a resolution in GOTG v3 (and maybe even the formation of the MCU version of the Infinity Watch).

My most fervent hope is that they don't do something as lame as the comics. Much as I loved the brain-breaking levels of forces unleashed against Thanos (three Celestials, Galactus, Eternity, Eon, the In-Betweener... *shudder*), in there he was eventually defeated by... himself. He subconsciously sabotaged himself and that allowed Nebula to pull the Gauntlet off his hand while his attention was elsewhere. I don't know if they'll go that route or come up with something more original. On the one hand, with the completed Gauntlet, main force won't defeat him, so something more subtle needs to be done. On the other, that always felt like a weak way out, back in the day. It's possible that defeat will come at the hands of Warlock... Or just that he comes in to clean up the mess after Thanos is potentially defeated in Avengers 4.

--Jonah

Last edited:

See I liked that he defeated himself, and that it happened before with the Cosmic Cube. He wasnt "meant" to wield that kind of power. Besides, how do you defeat a god? Like how else could he have been defeated?

Well, yes. But I mean I want it to be done better than in the comics. I want everyone on both sides to do everything right, and he still loses. Rather than he loses because he was stupid/gullible at just the right/wrong moment.

I don't even have words.
or maybe I do...

TO ME MY BOARD! THE SPACEWAYS BECKON!

To me Surfer is pretty important anytime Thanos is involved, hell anything set in Marvel space I want Surfer, I had to give up on that of course
for the movies so far so I hope this means he will be appearing in a much larger role in the future.

Is there a chance that Captain Marvel might be the savior? But really I’d love to see The Sentry make a MCU debut!

Since Captain Marvel has her own film coming out after IW, and the movies and TV are all about girl power, I'd wager that she will be saving the day. Making her the big hero will only help ticket sales for her film.

She's also not listed as part of the cast for IW. She might get a cameo/tease at the end, leading into Avengers 4, where she'll certainly be playing a big role, after we've found out more about her in her standalone, but I really don't want to speculate on who's doing what yet, as far as resolution goes.

Cap's death pretty much confirmed.
https://www.empireonline.com/people/chris-evans/chris-evans-says-finishing-marvel-tenure/
captain-america-death-pic.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back