Avengers: Infinity War (Pre-release)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Avengers: Infinity War

Oh, I don't know. How about showing off more than the white male cast and crew in your sneak peak preview? Thanos is the big bad of this story, right? Wouldn't his daughters, Gamora and Nebula have a say in this? Where's Zoe and Karen? Or Scarlett? What is going on?

Considering that this video shows Day 1 of filming what makes you think that the entire cast would have been present and on set? You do know that they shoot out of sequence and in big productions like this with multiple big name actors they often have to juggle the shooting schedule in order to accommodate everyone's schedules because not everyone will be available on any given day or even have any scenes that require their presence on a given day. So what you have here is most likely just the 3 actors who happen to be available and/or are involved in shooting scenes on Day 1. So, why don't you wait until, I don't know, at least day 10 or so before really saying anything because unless you have a copy of the script and the shooting schedule it's way too early to say that Marvel is deliberately not showing any of us the female main cast.

Oh, I don't know. How about showing off more than the white male cast and crew in your sneak peak preview? Thanos is the big bad of this story, right? Wouldn't his daughters, Gamora and Nebula have a say in this? Where's Zoe and Karen? Or Scarlett? What is going on?

The video included footage from the very first day of shooting, which most likely didn't include all of the actors who are currently involved in the MCU. The next two Avengers films are being shot back-to-back, so the actors will be coming and going. It's already been confirmed that Nebula will be in Infinity War, and most likely Gamora too. They just probably weren't one set at the time, so just have some patience and you'll get plenty of diversity. By the time Infinity War roles out, you'll have an incredibly diverse cast including Gamora, Nebula, Mantis, Black Widow, Scarlet Witch, Captain Marvel, Black Panther, War Machine, Falcon, Nick Fury, and The Wasp, excluding all of the white males you seem to take issue with.

Besides, Marvel showcased Robert Downey Jr. because he is an A-list actor, a fan favorite, and the heart of the MCU. Without Downey Jr. as Tony Stark, the MCU as we know it wouldn't exist. Also, they used Tom Holland because they wanted A) the public to know that yes, the new Spider-Man will be in Infinity War, and B) to help market the upcoming Spider-Man: Homecoming. Not to mention the fact that Spider-Man has been Marvel's most popular superhero for decades now. Furthermore, they used Chris Pratt in a similar fashion because he is A) a fan favorite of many, B) the most logical connection of the Guardians to the Avengers, since he's from Earth, and C) to help market the upcoming Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2. Oh, and did I forget to mention that all three of these actors were on set the first day of shooting? You're getting upset at a video that used the available resources the studio had that day, and brilliant marketing, considering it not only got fans excited about the massive tentpole Avengers film currently in production, but also the studio's next two blockbusters that are coming out later this year. I see nothing wrong with that at all.

I don't understand how you can be getting mad at the 'lack of diversity,' when Marvel Studios is just doing their best keep characters in line with their comic roots. After all, these films are comic book movies, and the reason Marvel Studios has had so much success is that they stay true to their characters and source material (for the most part), pleasing the most hardcore of comic book fans.

Riceball and Thain explained perfectly as to why you are freaking out over nothing. Not to mention it shows that each core member/star of their respective franchise is going to be in one movie. Avengers, Spider Man, and GotG are going to be in ONE MOVIE. This is monumental, and personally cant wait to see it. Your attempt to drum up drama is baseless and asinine. Found the SJW... Hopefully you dont mention anything about being a vegan or how into crossfit you are... :rolleyes But yeah, they both told you exactly whats going on... gimme a break.

Because we're 14 movies into the MCU and we're still waiting.
Are you talking about people(men women), or different races? Do you mean their stand alone movies, or appearances? You do know that Blade was a marvel movie starring a black character that came out in the 90's right? Who is "we" anyway? Marvel movies are printing money. There is going to be a female led captain marvel, and Black Panther movie on the books. I have no idea what youre whining about.

Hopefully you dont mention anything about being a vegan or how into crossfit you are..

had to laugh at the crossfit reference. over reacting is exactly what the two people i know in crossfit do. only one turned it into an art form and some new kind of game. he would insult people i knew for being who they where, and yet, when i dared to say something jokingly about one of his friends, that wasn't even insulting....ooh, the gauntlet was thrown down. needless to say, i am not fB friends with this type of person no longer ;o). it wasn't good for me to worry about what they'd get upset about next.

Considering that this video shows Day 1 of filming what makes you think that the entire cast would have been present and on set? You do know that they shoot out of sequence and in big productions like this with multiple big name actors they often have to juggle the shooting schedule in order to accommodate everyone's schedules because not everyone will be available on any given day or even have any scenes that require their presence on a given day. So what you have here is most likely just the 3 actors who happen to be available and/or are involved in shooting scenes on Day 1. So, why don't you wait until, I don't know, at least day 10 or so before really saying anything because unless you have a copy of the script and the shooting schedule it's way too early to say that Marvel is deliberately not showing any of us the female main cast.

they are just getting ready to reveal thanos' sister, Thena-os. It was too big a reveal, so it needed it's own video. Plus, they where having problems fitting the Wig on Rosanne after she gained 50 pounds of muscle to kick ass next to her on screen brother.

I applaud them for choosing an older actress. you don't see many 60 something women action stars starring next to body builders in the geek movie category.

sorry to derail the thread. what where we talking about?

Careful, he's about to go full Bechdel again. I can smell it.

Let's see... First off, Marvel Studios didn't have Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, or X-Men to work with when they bet the farm on about the only early Marvel property they could tackle -- Iron Man. Building up to the Avengers was all they really had to work with, so they introduced us to the most central and iconic members -- Iron Man, Captain America, the Hulk, and Thor. Plus taking the opportunity to mix in secondary heroes and villains and supporting characters. They wisely, IMO, held Hank Pym, Ant Man, and Wasp back for later, and have done good things with them and with the otherwise fairly obscure Guardians of the Galaxy/Infinity Watch characters.

Since those comics all originated in the '60s, yes the main character of each title is a straight white male. They've exercised more re-imagining with the supporting cast, most notably Nick Fury -- him being heavily inspired by the Ultimate version. Now we're moving past the foundational characters, and they've facilitated the introduction of some of the newer characters. Black Panther started filming last month. Captain Marvel (the Carol Danvers version) is coming up. I'm really hoping GOTG2 wil introduce the Kree Captain Mar-Vell, from whom she gets her powers when he dies. Her/Ayesha is in GOTG2 (which hopefully is setting the stage for Adam Warlock/Him). We've got Scarlet Witch, who's gone through her growing pains. We've got Falcon and Rhodey. We've got Hope Pym set to come in as the Wasp (and maybe also the return of her mother).

Not to mention, these actors can't keep these characters going for decades. Chris Evans, Chris Hemsworth, and Robert Downey, Jr., have all pretty much finished out their character-centric films. Anything further with their characters will be developed in team films and other characters' stories, as they interweave, until they get too old/bored/tired, and the characters are retired or killed off or take a youth serum and are recast or Odin gives an object lession and turns Thor into a woman, or whatever. But I was so thrilled not only to see Scott Lang be the Ant Man they focused on, but his daughter, too. Not to mention Scarlet Witch and Vision. I don't expect them to exactly follow the Young Avengers story or lineup (can't, really, without the mutants to play with, and it was an alternate universe, anyway), but they now have everything they need for a good MCU interpretation of the core concept -- Cassie Lang, Wanda and Vision's eventual children, someone (possibly Bucky, possibly Sam, possibly/probably Sharon) taking over for Cap, Kate Bishop can show up as Hawkeye, and I can think of scenarios for successors for Iron Man...

So the trend has been to diversify as much as they could up front without too drastically violating the core concept of the first-gen characters, and work from there to bring in more of the more modern characters as the MCU develops. It is becoming ever more diverse, and they seem to be taking the long view of "as long as we keep making good stories with good characters that keep bringing in audiences, we've got a long way we can go".

As for @Monkey67's detailed breakdown...
Starting to be terrible: The avengers - not as cool as it could have been. But ironman picking on capt was great. Moar nick fury dumb stuff. The sudden end of an alien attack is basically independents day style. Ok we blew up the mother ship and the threat is over. Come on done before and who wrote this ending, JJ Abraham??

After AoU, I was able to start clarifying some of my few issues with the first Avengers, and it boils down -- for me -- to "all the big Avengers-titled films should probably be two-parters, cuz those stories and that much development of that many characters is just too much for ~120 minutes". I'm curious about your "angry Nick Fury" interpretation. I've liked every on-screen moment of Sam Jackson's portrayal.

Capt America : boring, took me 4 times to finally watch the whole thing. Capt is such a boring and dumb guy that the Red Skull decided to kill himself than have to deal with Rogers. That's not a joke, it's true.

I can't help you here. I absolutely adore this film. Yes, Cap is Marvel's eternal boy scout (as Superman is supposed to be in DC). Yes, characters like that can be one-dimensional and uninteresting. That's why the Cap movies are Bucky's story arc. Cap is the foil, and the richness of them is how each motivates the other and how they play off each other.

terrible : Iron man 2 & 3...wow just move long

As I said, I have issues with Iron Man 2, but most people do -- including the folks who made it. Jon Favreau was so annoyed by studio interference he refused to direct any more Marvel movies. I generally object to the kill-the-bad-guy endings. I prefer rehabilitation to death, unless unavoidable. I kept waiting for Tony to say to Ivan on their second encounter "Hey! Time out! I had no idea what you were talking about last time I saw you. I dug a bit since then, I know about my dad and your dad now and all of that. He never told me about any of this. I get why you're pissed, but taking it out on me is stupid. You're smarter than this. My dad's already dead, it won't bring yours back. I'd much rather have you working with me..." And ultimate have Ivan show up in a sequel in that armor -- maybe painted red as the Crimson Dynamo? -- as one of Iron Man's allies.

As for 3, apart from a couple quibbles, most of my problems with it would be resolved had it been spaced out into two standalone films so the story(ies) had a chance to grow and breathe.

AofU : more black widow & Hawkeye craziness. Both members should be dead by now. Only a few years from the 1st avengers flick. Hawkeye has 2-3 kids/teen now?? Someone. Iron man, Thor and hulk was ok. Scarlet witch & quick silver were tight and saving grace.

Black Widow went through a nasty Soviet superspy program that may or may not have involved some low-level super-soldier-like tinkering. She's fast and tough. Still human and vulnerable, but in better shape than the average athlete. I imagine Hawkeye, like most S.H.I.E.L.D. special-operatives, are in higher condition than 99.9% of the human race, by necessity. If he weren't, he wouldn't have survived so long. As for his family, he's had them for years. He specifically said in AoU that one of the conditions of his being with S.H.I.E.L.D. was that no record of them could exist -- they were to be kept out of that part of his life.

havent watched CW cause I've been told I'll break my TV since everyone outside of here has hated it. Which some loved the other movies
haven't watched Dr. Strange yet either, but heard it's pretty good.

I and everyone I know thought both of those were brilliant, apart from minor niggles, and one friend who has a particular blind spot that results in her having problems with things due to her projecting her own mindset/worldview onto the characters.

capt America / Rogers drives me crazy as well. Talks a mean game of not wanting to hurt or kill people. Yet uses his super strength to punch, kick, head butt and throw a big ass metal shield at everyone he sees not in the group. Plus shoots ppl like it's not a biggie.unless he is using rubber bullets.

He's a soldier. He doesn't hate anyone, he's not hot to get out there and kill people. He doesn't like bullies and does whatever is necessary to stop them doing what they're doing. If he can do that by just knocking them out, he will. If they've demonstrated by words and/or actions that they're not interested in listening and would rather kill him/those he's sworn to protect, he'll up the use of appropriate force accordingly. He used a machine gun in the original comics. It was only in the late '70s/early '80s when the Comics Code got established in opposition to the violence and gore that was starting to run rampant in comics that he got so much more nonlethal.

--Jonah

Last edited:

Considering that this video shows Day 1 of filming what makes you think that the entire cast would have been present and on set?

They showed concept art of characters whose actors aren't on the set. It may not be a script, but they're still characters played by white dudes. See? The more you see the more it stacks.

So, why don't you wait-

I've bought tickets and purchased the BluRays for all 14 of the MCU movies and will probably do it again for six more movies before the MCU will finally get it's first female lead with Captain Marvel. It's been delayed with other MCU movies and delayed again on it's own so it could make way for another studio's Spider-Man, a film that already has a sequel in the works that's scheduled for release on the same freaking year as Captain Marvel. The only female lead that the MCU has right now after Carter got cancelled is Jessica Jones, which isn't really saying much since Disney is most likely never going to reference in any of the Netflix shows.

You don't need to tell me to wait. I'm still going to be waiting even after this film has been released on DVD/Blu-Ray/4K/Digital Copy, which I will still most likely be buying.
*cheers*

I'm really hoping GOTG2 wil introduce the Kree Captain Mar-Vell, from whom she gets her powers when he dies. Her/Ayesha is in GOTG2 (which hopefully is setting the stage for Adam Warlock/Him).
Now there's a thought. Jim Starlin's Mar-Vell was possibly my favorite Marvel superhero in the 1970's. I would absolutely love to see him on film - even if briefly to die.

They showed concept art of characters whose actors aren't on the set. It may not be a script, but they're still characters played by white dudes. See? The more you see the more it stacks.

The concept art showed Thanos (several times) and a drawing of Thor and Rocket (and maybe a shot of Stark looking at his suits, I can't tell if this is a still or really good drawing). The rest of the teaser was previous feature footage, behind the scenes shots (including a wall with MCU trading cards, Scarlet Witch among them) and production team interview.

If you want to be upset with the lack of diversity, it should be that all of the producers, directors, writers, other main production crew were white men. Any behind the scene photo that had a woman in it (two maybe), she was standing outside of the clump of talking men and looking between their shoulders.

As for the on set clip at the beginning...
Stark, Spidey, and Starlord together is just a nice group to interview together because they are three different generations of MCU and possibly the three biggest smart-asses of MCU (yeah I know, Scott Lang is really part of the top three).

I've bought tickets and purchased the BluRays for all 14 of the MCU movies and will probably do it again for six more movies before the MCU will finally get it's first female lead with Captain Marvel. It's been delayed with other MCU movies and delayed again on it's own so it could make way for another studio's Spider-Man, a film that already has a sequel in the works that's scheduled for release on the same freaking year as Captain Marvel. The only female lead that the MCU has right now after Carter got cancelled is Jessica Jones, which isn't really saying much since Disney is most likely never going to reference in any of the Netflix shows.

You don't need to tell me to wait. I'm still going to be waiting even after this film has been released on DVD/Blu-Ray/4K/Digital Copy, which I will still most likely be buying.
*cheers*
I may be invoking some demonic forces here, but Jeyl, what would have made you happy on that 3 minute video? What would make you say "damn, marvel is really doing a great job with their movies, I cant wait to see them".

You do know that studios make movies for the sole purpose of making money right? And do you have ANY idea how obscure certain characters are, especially the likes of Black Panther and Captain Marvel? Regarding a female led super heroine movie, if you switch out Chris Hemsworth for a woman, what would that bring to the story? What would that change to where you are like "oh man that was awesome! A woman super hero! I never imagined Thor having boobs would totally make the character different and more compelling!" Seriously, I dont understand. You know what a Black Widow movie would be like? Columbiana, starring your favorite, Zoe Saldana Or Salt. Or Wanted, sort of. I dont get why everyone is clamoring for a BW movie, when it would just be "generic action/spy thriller". Its been done to death, and doesnt need to be made. That could be a reason why they havent made it yet, or, because it doesnt fit into the MCU and the grand scale of things.

I may be invoking some demonic forces here, but Jeyl, what would have made you happy on that 3 minute video? What would make you say "damn, marvel is really doing a great job with their movies, I cant wait to see them".

You do know that studios make movies for the sole purpose of making money right? And do you have ANY idea how obscure certain characters are, especially the likes of Black Panther and Captain Marvel? Regarding a female led super heroine movie, if you switch out Chris Hemsworth for a woman, what would that bring to the story? What would that change to where you are like "oh man that was awesome! A woman super hero! I never imagined Thor having boobs would totally make the character different and more compelling!" Seriously, I dont understand. You know what a Black Widow movie would be like? Columbiana, starring your favorite, Zoe Saldana Or Salt. Or Wanted, sort of. I dont get why everyone is clamoring for a BW movie, when it would just be "generic action/spy thriller". Its been done to death, and doesnt need to be made. That could be a reason why they havent made it yet, or, because it doesnt fit into the MCU and the grand scale of things.

*whispers* I'm back.

^ Now I don't know your ethnicity Snikt, but as a white male myself...I empathize with other people not seeing their own race/gender as the hero/villains of stories. I think it's something we (white blokes) have never even had to consider or think about the physical ethnicity (or how it is drawn at least) of Superman or Cap or Bats or Johnny Storm etc because its just us, isn't it. We see ourselves in the pro/antagonists. It's easy to dismiss someones concerns as "SJW!" recently but can't we foster a little more acceptance? Jeyl still enjoys the movies as evidenced by buying them etc.

As for Avengers being terrible - ...by god will I not defend that. What madness is this.

The Avengers main theme building up in the Infinity War BTS stuff....I almost pissed my pants. :cool

Hey Fawbish! I was wondering where you have been. *waves*

Im mexican actually. Born and raised in the US, but Im of mexican descent. I totally understand what youre saying, and I get it, but for me, as a brown person, it never really bothered me. At all. I dont even think twice about it. And its not even like Jeyl was cool about it or anything, he hopped up on his soapbox, and caused a ruckus. It isnt the first time he has done this either. Maybe if I got my questions answered I would have a little more insight to how he thinks, but coming from what I think is a male, I dont understand why he gets so up in arms about femal representation. I said SJW, cause here where I live, I see a lot of those types of people, and usually those types of people go looking for fights, or seeing things that arent even there.

Right?! I was like "someone needs to check their house for gas leaks". Thats crazy talk!

Dude. Me too. I cant wait for this. Its such an awesome time to be comic book geek. Well, a Marvel fan that is. ;)

and usually when you confront or try to talk to these types of personalities about the issues they supposedly care about, the person in question shrinks away to nothing until a chance to stir up trouble pops up again and they hope someone picks up the bait so they can have fun arguing. or, if there are enough people in the thread feeling brave, they'll gang up on you as has happened before in order to get a thread they didn't like shut down :)..

just another thing to have to put up with on the internet, i guess. which is why the handy dandy ignore feature works so well :)

Over here just being glad there were two Asians in Rogue One...

Where are my yellow brothers in the Avengers? Better question... Why is it relevant?

Why is it okay to have a white woman play a traditionally Asian male role, (Dr. Strange) but if a white man plays a traditionally white character? Oh golly, grab your ****ing pitchforks.. It's hypocritical.. and personally? I only see these stupid race oriented discussions dividing us. I'd almost say it falls under the political talk and shouldn't even be on this board to be honest... Further more, the sheer irony of a white male saying how or when a colored or female person should be portrayed I hope hasn't escaped us....

Last edited:

Over here just being glad there were two Asians in Rogue One...

Where are my yellow brothers in the Avengers? Better question... Why is it relevant?

Why is it okay to have a white woman play a traditionally Asian male role, (Dr. Strange) but if a white man plays a traditionally white character? Oh golly, grab your ****ing pitchforks.. It's hypocritical.. and personally? I only see these stupid race oriented discussions dividing us. I'd almost say it falls under the political talk and shouldn't even be on this board to be honest... Further more, the sheer irony of a white male saying how or when a colored or female person should be portrayed I hope hasn't escaped us....

Frankly, it has little to do with modern day realities and more to do with the originals. Like it or not, the way it was in the 30's, 40's, and 50's in the comic industry was white male driven. It's not to say that it was a good or bad thing, it's what it was. That's what became popular, cultural, and iconic.

Studios are going to go after the big named characters, which, frankly are mainly white males. I mean, what do you expect to sell more tickets? Batman or, say, the female Captain Marvel? With the caveat that it's a first flick for a studio? You have to hit with the traditional big names to build up the trust to go after lesser known properties. It's how it works.

If Marvel began with Black Panther instead of Iron Man, i wouldn't have seen it. Nothing to do with race, but everything to do with the fact as a non-comic reader - i had no idea who he was. After Civil War, i'm sold on Black Panther. And to be honest, i'd imagine that was part of Marvels plan. Introduce characters people know and add lesser known ones to flesh out the universe and broaden the spectrum. I think that's the way you need to go about it to a certain extent. You have got get butts in the seats before you start trying to go in new and different directions.

As for 'The Ancient One', i don't read the comics, but my understanding was the ancient one has been numerous races and genders over the years.

If Marvel began with Black Panther instead of Iron Man, i wouldn't have seen it. Nothing to do with race, but everything to do with the fact as a non-comic reader - i had no idea who he was. After Civil War, i'm sold on Black Panther. And to be honest, i'd imagine that was part of Marvels plan. Introduce characters people know and add lesser known ones to flesh out the universe and broaden the spectrum. I think that's the way you need to go about it to a certain extent. You have got get butts in the seats before you start trying to go in new and different directions.

As for 'The Ancient One', i don't read the comics, but my understanding was the ancient one has been numerous races and genders over the years.

same here on black panther. I'm more interested in him than i was dr.strange.

as far as the ancient one... i couldn't buy a middle aged white woman in that role. especially if she's surrounded by asian culture as i think the trailers made it seem IIRC. i wanted mr.miyagi. and if the character was always asian first, and THEN changed appearance, introduce us to who he was first before going all dr.who. thanks China.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back