Thor: Ragnarok

Man, I really hope they are pulling from the classic Lee/Kirby issues that had the Mangog unsheathing the Odinsword to unleash Ragnarok. I still have those issues in one of those giant sized comics. Best Thor story ever!!

Couple of tweets quoting Feige.

"THOR: RAGNAROK is the key film in Phase Three, starts right after AVENGERS 2."

"Ragnarok will re-invent Thor the way Cap 2 re-invented Steve."

I think this is the opportunity to really showcase Asgard with its rich pantheon of characters.
Until now I feel we're only getting glimpses - even with Dark World.

I think they have to introduce more characters to make Asgard a more credible setting. e.g. Balder, Hela, Valkyrie etc. and I'm really looking forward to that.

Major casting announcement today - Cate Blanchett as Hela, Jeff Goldblum as Grandmaster, Tessa Thompson as Valkyrie, and Karl Urban as Skurge aka Executioner
http://marvel.com/news/movies/26203...hly_anticipated_thor_ragnarok?linkId=24717778

Two-time Oscar®-winner Cate Blanchett (“Blue Jasmine,” “Carol, “Cinderella”) joins Marvel Studios’ “Thor: Ragnarok” as the mysterious and powerful new villain Hela, along with Jeff Goldblum (the upcoming “Independence Day: Resurgence,” “The Grand Budapest Hotel,” “Jurassic Park”) who joins the cast as the eccentric Grandmaster, Tessa Thompson (“Creed,” “Selma”) who will bring the classic hero Valkyrie to life on the big screen, and Karl Urban (“Star Trek” trilogy, “The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King”) who will add his might to the fray as Skurge.

Rounding out the cast for the film is three-time Oscar®-nominee Mark Ruffalo (“Spotlight,” “The Kids Are All Right,” “Foxcatcher”), reprising his role of Bruce Banner/the Hulk from “Marvel’s The Avengers” and Marvel’s “Avengers: Age of Ultron.”

“The continuation of the epic Thor franchise will be powerful and unique, and with the additions of Cate, Jeff, Tessa, Karl, and Mark to the cast we have the makings of his most dangerous and heroic adventure yet,” said Producer Kevin Feige. “The sheer, raw talent each of these actors brings to the screen can’t be quantified. Having any one of them join the Marvel Cinematic Universe would be an honor, and having all of them is incredible."

Thor’s new cast members join returning stars Chris Hemsworth (“Rush,” “In the Heart of the Sea,” “Ghostbusters”) in the title role for the fifth time; Tom Hiddleston (“Crimson Peak,” “The Night Manager,” “Kong: Skull Island”) as Thor’s adversarial, adopted brother, Loki; Golden Globe® and Screen Actors Guild Award winner Idris Elba (“The Dark Tower,” “Luther,” “Beasts of No Nation”) as the Asgardian sentry, Heimdall; and Academy Award®-winner Sir Anthony Hopkins (“Silence of the Lambs,” “Nixon,” “Hitchcock”) again portraying Odin, Ruler of Asgard.

“Thor: Ragnarok,” the third installment of Marvel’s popular Norse Super Hero, is directed by Oscar®-nominated filmmaker Taika Waititi (“Two Cars, One Night,” “What We Do in the Shadows,” “Hunt for the Wilderpeople”). Kevin Feige will produce the film, joined by executive producers Louis D’Esposito, Brad Winderbaum, Victoria Alonso, Thomas M. Hammel and Stan Lee.

573f502b0fd8c.jpg

Will Lady Sif be in this one, and will she be sporting a bunch of seemingly random tattoos all over her body?

Sif and the Warriors Three were left out of the casting announcement. Jaimie Alexander was said to not be in the film because of scheduling conflicts with her TV show, but she also tweeted this:
https://twitter.com/JaimieAlexander/status/733725195186413569
Whatever that means.

Also worth noting that Natalie Portman's name isn't on there either, though I think a lot of people won't miss her Jane Foster :)

Oh man that casting is awesome. Karl urban as skurge and cate as hela oh my. I do hope that Sif will be in this and the warriors three as that would actually be kind of weird of they wouldnt be .

Def loving that concept art tho

That IS a fantastic cast!!!!!! And I hope the director,Taika Waititi , brings as much humour as he manages to get in "What we do in the Shadows" into this. I think that bringing Thor and the Hulk together is going to be brilliantly entertaining anyway, but this news makes me even more hopeful that Marvel will keep hitting the heights.

at least we know where Hulk is now :) and he can let lose his anger on all the monster and Asgardians without hurting them as much as he would humans.

I'm surprised they managed to bring Anthony Hopkins back. His attitude towards Marvel hasn't always been that positive.

"I haven't seen the movie and I've forgotten it. It's hard to follow the story in the script. This is not really my world."
"I've done two; that's enough."

I guess there was more money on the table. Hopefully he turns in a much better performance here than Dark World.

Sif and the Warriors Three were left out of the casting announcement. Jaimie Alexander was said to not be in the film because of scheduling conflicts with her TV show, but she also tweeted this:
https://twitter.com/JaimieAlexander/status/733725195186413569
Whatever that means.

Also worth noting that Natalie Portman's name isn't on there either, though I think a lot of people won't miss her Jane Foster :)

Can't imagine they wouldn't be in it. Don't wanna over do the press release.

All I know is I want an after-credits scene where everything's done and Mjollnir is sitting there abandoned and it suddenly goes ripping off into space and we jump over to the GOTG end of the MCU where someone is fighting and being overwhelmed and borne down by their adversaries. The hammer zips into the pile, there's a lightning strike and everyone gets scattered. The figure in the middle looks down at the hammer in his hand, turns, and we see it's Beta-Ray Bill. Smash-cut to black.

--Jonah

All I know is I want an after-credits scene where everything's done and Mjollnir is sitting there abandoned and it suddenly goes ripping off into space and we jump over to the GOTG end of the MCU where someone is fighting and being overwhelmed and borne down by their adversaries. The hammer zips into the pile, there's a lightning strike and everyone gets scattered. The figure in the middle looks down at the hammer in his hand, turns, and we see it's Beta-Ray Bill. Smash-cut to black.

--Jonah

YES! I like where your head is at here, Jonah!

--Jonah

We don't agree on a ton with regards to stuff on here I've noticed, but kudos to this. I'd just about kick through the seat in front of me I reckon.

If not that, then at the very least, after all is said and done, we center on a Gladiator prep room, clearly slaves who have been gathered to fight, leather pauldrons of all shapes and sizes for tons of different aliens etc. They all mill about, sharpening swords, roughing one another, cleaning shields. One character is sat poised, calm and collected, left foot tapping the floor repetitively, slowly. As the chants from outside the prep room swell, the drum beat is like a heartbeat, and we close on Beta Ray Bill's face, eyes closed, seemingly at peace. His foot taps to the beat of the drums as the crowd screams even louder. And then the drums stop. The crowd goes silent. His eyes are still closed.

Biggest, most monstrous, bestial Hulk roar we've ever heard shakes the building. Beta Ray Bill's eyes snap open. Cut to black.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back