Thor: Ragnarok

Tempting, but since we don't know what role Hulk will play in the film or where he'll end up, I'm reluctant to consider him in such a scene (on the flip side, I'd love a post-credit scene of Hulk waking up disoriented in a forest and blundering around a bit until someone steps partially into frame and says "hold it right there, bub"... but that would require Fox to stop being idiots).

So much we don't know about film Ragnarok versus comic Ragnarok... So far, we do know the fan rumors of Beta Ray Bill being in Guardians of the Galaxy or Avengers: AoU are complete bunk -- the directors of both have blown those out of the water. This is a mixed blessing -- on the one hand, we're not locked in to any one thing. On the other, there's nothing to hint at filmmakers' intentions. Unlike, say, Coldblood being utterly wasted as a bad guy in Iron Man 3* who utterly fails to resemble his comic self in appearance or attitude (otherwise, he'd be a perfect candidate for an incarceree on the the Raft), so now we're out that option thanks to filmic waste. Ivan Vanko's death in Iron Man 2 is an even worse example of such wasted opportunities.

[*Unfortunately, further, Iron Man 3 should have been two films, but conrtact stuff and asking RDJ to commit to that many, yadda yadda... I wish Count Nefaria had been introduced in some capacity in Avengers, so Madame Masque could be the adversary in an Extremis-based film, and keep the whole A.I.M./Mandarin story for a separate film. *shrug* What might have been...]

So. In the comics, Surtur and his fire demons are heavily involved with the destruction of Asgard (along with Loki and Hela). Likewise, they were involved with an attack on Beta Ray Bill's planet/race, and he was eventually selected as their champion. This is such an easy set-up... And we are seriously needing to expand our heavy-hitters roster for Infinity War, what with Galactus and Silver Surfer unavailable, thanks to Fox.

--Jonah

They should go with the female Thor. Give the girl someone other than the girlfriends and black widow ( which should be dead by now)

They should go with the female Thor. Give the girl someone other than the girlfriends and black widow ( which should be dead by now)

I have a feeling they will, but will let some time pass. Granted, I don't know the plot for the film, but if it involves the fall of Asgard and the deaths of the Asgardians, I don't think Thor should come back immediately -- in any form. Why I want Mjolnir to be called to the next closest worthy individual or something similar.

The female Thor also needs to be handled better than, I feel, the comics did. In the past Thor's been turned into a woman as a lesson from Odin and such, but it's still been Thor. Worthy women have wielded Mjolnir, and -- per the enchantment -- were granted the power of Thor, while not being Thor. Which ultimately ended up being where Marvel went with their whole "no, it really is Thor, but a woman now" turning out to be
Jane Foster -- and since Natalie Portman is apparently done with the MCU, I can't see that happening.
Besides, it ended up not being what Marvel initially claimed. So. To do it right (IMO), Thor needs to die with the rest of the Asgardians (letting Hemsworth end his contract), and some new individual be born as Thor reincarnated -- not "a man's soul in a woman's body", not an existing person who becomes Thor, but an actual person who is, by worthiness of birth and the soul inhabiting their frame, and by whatever unique name they're known, the new Goddess of Thunder.

--Jonah

I have a feeling they will, but will let some time pass. Granted, I don't know the plot for the film, but if it involves the fall of Asgard and the deaths of the Asgardians, I don't think Thor should come back immediately -- in any form. Why I want Mjolnir to be called to the next closest worthy individual or something similar.

The female Thor also needs to be handled better than, I feel, the comics did. In the past Thor's been turned into a woman as a lesson from Odin and such, but it's still been Thor. Worthy women have wielded Mjolnir, and -- per the enchantment -- were granted the power of Thor, while not being Thor. Which ultimately ended up being where Marvel went with their whole "no, it really is Thor, but a woman now" turning out to be
Jane Foster -- and since Natalie Portman is apparently done with the MCU, I can't see that happening.
Besides, it ended up not being what Marvel initially claimed. So. To do it right (IMO), Thor needs to die with the rest of the Asgardians (letting Hemsworth end his contract), and some new individual be born as Thor reincarnated -- not "a man's soul in a woman's body", not an existing person who becomes Thor, but an actual person who is, by worthiness of birth and the soul inhabiting their frame, and by whatever unique name they're known, the new Goddess of Thunder.

--Jonah

Nicely said. Portman isn't in it cause the movie is only on eart for like 5 mins. Just enough time for Thor to get a cup of coffee and Danish.

All I know is I want an after-credits scene where everything's done and Mjollnir is sitting there abandoned and it suddenly goes ripping off into space and we jump over to the GOTG end of the MCU where someone is fighting and being overwhelmed and borne down by their adversaries. The hammer zips into the pile, there's a lightning strike and everyone gets scattered. The figure in the middle looks down at the hammer in his hand, turns, and we see it's Beta-Ray Bill. Smash-cut to black.

--Jonah

This was the coolest thing I have read in a long time.

I also forgot that Galactus is with Fox regarding infinity war! Man! Thats going to suck. Maybe Fox will pull their head out of their ass and let Marvel use their character considering they wasted that already.

And doesnt Beta Ray Bill have his own hammer, Stormbreaker? Didnt Odin make him one?

And doesnt Beta Ray Bill have his own hammer, Stormbreaker? Didnt Odin make him one?

Yep, but that was after everything went down (and he and Thor fought over Mjolnir). Big thing is that -- in both comics and film -- Bill was/would be he first besides Thor to have also been able to wield the hammer. I'm one of those who agrees with Williamson that Cap should have never been able to pick it up. Shift it a little, yes, but not actually pick up. He's too much a symbol of his country, even if an embodiment of its highest ideals, to not have bias (granted, Thor's bias will be toward Asgard, but after his preliminary humiliation and growth, he sees a more universal big picture).

--Jonah

Yep, but that was after everything went down (and he and Thor fought over Mjolnir). Big thing is that -- in both comics and film -- Bill was/would be he first besides Thor to have also been able to wield the hammer. I'm one of those who agrees with Williamson that Cap should have never been able to pick it up. Shift it a little, yes, but not actually pick up. He's too much a symbol of his country, even if an embodiment of its highest ideals, to not have bias (granted, Thor's bias will be toward Asgard, but after his preliminary humiliation and growth, he sees a more universal big picture).

--Jonah

Ah interesting. I didnt know they fought over Mjolnir. I always enjoy reading your posts Jonah.

ye the fight to determine who be worthy of mjolnir by odin. Hence blake remained Thor and Bill got stormbreaker.

So far casting etc has been positive for this movie but im mostly curious for Hulk's role. Somehow i feel like this will be linked to Loki and that this will actually lead to introducing amora/enchantress be it involving mind control as we have seen for example in the hulk/Thor animated. But unlike the previous Thor movies wich were good but not at the level of winter soldier for example, i am however very excited for this. Also read some1 pointing out that maybe this might lead hulk into the planet hulk storyline afterwards altho i doubt that can happen since that would mean there would be no hulk for infinity wars.

Personally, I don't want Hulk in Infinity Wars. What I do want is to see Black Panther wielding the Infinity Gauntlet. But enough of that...
Cate Blanchett as Hela sounds wonderful! Thor has always been my favorite, so seeing some of these iconic characters finally make an appearance is awesome! I really hope Lady Sif is there. And since that reveal about Loki at the end of T:TDW I want to know if he's really up to letting Asgard be destroyed. Especially since it appears that he's right where he wants to be.

Gladiator Hulk Armor from Thor: Ragnarok on the Marvel stage at SDCC.

13725633_509055042625771_154341562_n.jpg

empiremagazine: There’s a great What We Do In The Shadows-style spoof clip to explain why Thor wasn’t in Civil War. He is a nightmare roommate.

slashfilm: Taika Waititi put together a piece to show what Thor and Hulk were doing during Civil War. An Office-like rockumentary. Hilarious.

devincf: HOLY ****! @TaikaWaititi made a HILARIOUS short about Thor moving to Australia and moving in with a regular guy named Daryl.

devincf: I hope they release it. I died laughing. Thor keeps Mjolnir in a mini bed next to his bed.

devincf: That was followed by BTS stuff from RAGNAROK, including animatics of Thor & Hulk fighting in an arena and way Kirby fancy alien people.

devincf: It's definitely WHAT WE DO IN THE SHADOWS style stuff w/ Thor. 5 minutes. Best joke: Thor is having Daryl write an email to Stark...

devincf: ...and he says "Remember the time I goaded you into killing all those prisoners and promised to never tell the Avengers? I still haven't."

GermainLussier: Followed by a sizzle reel of concept art, including Hulk battling in the arena. NOW THEY AR PROJECTING DOCTOR STRANGE STUFF ON SMOKE!

Last edited:
Love the logo. The perfect amount of 80's for me. :lol Not sure how it makes sense in regards to the movie though? Feels a bit like something we'd see in an Ashens video accompanied by perfect non-licensed 80s-ish music.

The Guardians Vol. 2 logo strikes a similar chord as well. I dig it.

Personally, I had kinda expected a logo with flames flickering up from the bottom considering how it was named Ragnarok and all. Either way, I don't care how the logo looks, as long as the movie is good.

EDIT
Hang On!!!!
Gladiator HULK armor? So they're combining Planet Hulk with Ragnarok? This could be a whole 'nother level of awesome!

Marvel are doing an absolute astonishing job managing their franchise. Taika has a brilliantly subversive sense of humour, I'm begging anybody here who hasn't seen "What we do in the Shadows" to watch it now on Netflix. Its by far on of the best "comedy" mockumentaries I have ever seen (and that's going back some time). I watch it every couple of months and I still pull something new out of it and it still makes me laugh. When I heard he got the Ragnorak gig I was very pleased. When I saw the cast he got I was bloody impressed. Now that Hulk armour and the hints where they are taking this? I think this could be tremendous fun as well as being spectacularly entertaining.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back