$79.99 MR FX sabers at Best Buy

Originally posted by WebChief@Jan 11 2006, 09:13 AM
I'm hoping the FX sabers drop to around $50 and I'll be buying more.
[snapback]1156136[/snapback]​

I got my EpV Vader and EPIII Skywalker and probably won't buy anymore (Maul might be an exception depending on price). However, if they drop to $50 or less I may reconsider.

Originally posted by rmschneider104@Jan 11 2006, 07:44 PM
Anyone know how these scale to the regular MR Vader saber hilts???
[snapback]1156575[/snapback]​

i dont know exactly but its supposedly one of the closest in size to an actual hilt.

my ani ep3 is almost exactly the size of a graflex, i held one up to it, its a tad bigger but not much.

(i know the ep3 ani was way smaller, but it was supposedly the same as lukes soo...)

Originally posted by BlindSquirrel+Jan 11 2006, 01:45 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BlindSquirrel @ Jan 11 2006, 01:45 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-allosaur176
@Jan 10 2006, 07:47 PM
where as the Sting was grossly over sized, so they weren't selling as much...

[snapback]1155804[/snapback]​

The MR Sting is actually hobbit scale....how big Sting would be if'n you was a Hobbit.
[snapback]1155966[/snapback]​
[/b]

Yes, but being i'm not a hobbit, its grossly oversized :)

Originally posted by RedTwoX+Jan 10 2006, 10:46 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RedTwoX @ Jan 10 2006, 10:46 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-KevVader
@Jan 10 2006, 10:40 PM
....plus they may have a warehouse full of these things that they have to get rid of.
[snapback]1155859[/snapback]​

You only manufacture a warehouse full if you expect to sell a warehouse full. I doubt they are "getting rid" of them. It's possible that missjudged the number of people willing to pay $100. I think it's more likely that they hoped more would pay $100, and then worked down to find the balance point between supply and demand.

Of course I have been know to make mistake... from time to time. Oh dear, oh dear...

I am such a GEEK. :p
[snapback]1155869[/snapback]​
[/b]

...it's called getting rid of overstock. I'm sure MR projected the number of sales of these items which determined their production quantities. However, with the market getting close to saturated with these particular models...MR has gotta move them.

Best Buy may be using these as "loss leaders"...but I doubt it. Typically, loss leaders are high volume, low priced, high margin items that retailers can afford to take a hit on to get people in the door.

Originally posted by RedTwoX+Jan 11 2006, 05:00 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RedTwoX @ Jan 11 2006, 05:00 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-WebChief
@Jan 11 2006, 09:13 AM

I got my EpV Vader and EPIII Skywalker and probably won't buy anymore (Maul might be an exception depending on price). However, if they drop to $50 or less I may reconsider.
[snapback]1156243[/snapback]​
[/b]

They will NEVER drop below $50..

Originally posted by forcefx+Jan 11 2006, 07:47 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(forcefx @ Jan 11 2006, 07:47 PM)</div>
Originally posted by RedTwoX@Jan 11 2006, 05:00 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-WebChief
@Jan 11 2006, 09:13 AM

[snapback]1156243[/snapback]​

[snapback]1156622[/snapback]​
[/b]

Then I shall NEVER buy another one with the possible exception of a Darth Maul. :lol I'm happy with what I have and have no desire for more desire where MR FX are concerned. I'm turning my attention to custom sabers now.

Originally posted by forcefx@Jan 11 2006, 05:47 PM

The same was probably assumed regarding the Sting FX... It retailed for what? $120, that's at or above the retail of the current FX sabers. I'm sure no one thought that they could get a Sting FX for $14.99... But it DID happen. Never say never.

Not pretending to know Best Buy's marketing & sales strategies, but this could very well be a "loss leader" price. In marketing, a loss leader is an item that is sold below cost in an effort to stimulate other profitable sales. There are several varieties of these profitable sales, the most common being low-priced soda six-packs and buy one, get one free deals on liter sodas: You get the $0.99 soda six-pack, located right before the aisle of the highest-end items, such as personal hygene, and then, since you're a mindless consumer, yoou buy the enticing new $15.99 battery-operated disposable razor. :p

This could be the Best Buy version of a cheap six-pack: get the saber, which is located in the back, "conveniently" right next to all the big screen TVs and their eager salesmen. :D

- Gabe

walmart has them for 79.
was waiting on a new billing cycle to but it.
but when I check back , one day they are in stock the nest out of stock (anakin)

MR is making running changes to the Vader ESB FX saber- for example, on mine the clamp design is entirely different from the one pictured here: http://www.fx-sabers.com/vader_ESB_tutorial.html

Instead of a metal clamp that more or less faithfully replicates the original prop (see link above), they've gone to an injection molded plastic 'clamp' sleeve with two diecast metal sidebars to replicate the 'box' portion of the clamp.
Pic of new clamp design

The overall feel of the clamp part is significantly cheapened (and looks much less accurate) when compared to the first version. To be fair, all products undergo changes and refinements in their design in order to simplify the assembly process, or cut costs, but it's not usually to the detriment of the product.

I'm sure this isn't the only change to the prop (I haven't disassembled the guts yet). Has anyone noticed similar redesigns in the Anakin Ep3 saber? Maybe this is why the sales price is dropping- MR is trying to redesign to a lower price point... Has dealer cost changed recently?

I recently picked up 4, MR episode III .45 scale lightsabers at Fry's Electronics for $9.99 each. They had the yoda, anakin, vader and obi-wan. IIRC the MSRP was originally like $35 each for these things.

It also looks like they have the Anakin FX's for $67.99 on their website. www.frys.com

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back