Captain Marvel

She's definitely a complex character. Like Tony, she's struggled with alcoholism and took time off from the Avengers to be an author. She's also friends with a LOT of people in the Marvel universe (she and Spider-Woman were roomies for a while and girls-nights were pretty epic with her, She-Hulk, and Wasp). She inevitably has quite a few enemies as well, like Star Lord's dad, J'son of Spartax, the skrulls (Chitauri in the MCU), and others.

There are a LOT of ways they could go with her.

Now, they have stated that they're moving away from her comics origin which is... frankly, okay with me, as it doesn't really give her all that much agency (she ran off with an alien named Mar'Vel and his powers transferred to her when he died). I think what I would like is to see her flying her fighter, pursuing an unknown bogey and getting hit with a weapon, going down and coming out of it unscathed because the interaction of the weapon's energies with her physiology altered her DNA to make her superhuman.

Sounds interesting. Is the way she receives the powers from Mar'Vel out of luck/situation, or are they transferred because she's worthy etc?

Appreciate you taking the time to explain - much as it so easy to go off and read about all this, its good to interact.

Sounds interesting. Is the way she receives the powers from Mar'Vel out of luck/situation, or are they transferred because she's worthy etc?

Appreciate you taking the time to explain - much as it so easy to go off and read about all this, its good to interact.

Luck/proximity. If it were a matter of worthiness, like Jane getting Mjolnir, it might be better.

And it's no problem at all. Carol has become one of my favorite characters so I really enjoy talking about her. :D The only way I could be happier is if Marvel announced a team-up movie with Carol, She-Hulk, Wasp, and Spider-Woman. THAT would be absolutely amazing.

Luck/proximity. If it were a matter of worthiness, like Jane getting Mjolnir, it might be better.

And it's no problem at all. Carol has become one of my favorite characters so I really enjoy talking about her. :D The only way I could be happier is if Marvel announced a team-up movie with Carol, She-Hulk, Wasp, and Spider-Woman. THAT would be absolutely amazing.

We'll you'll have two out of the four by 2019 I think? Who knows what'll happen with She-Hulk and Spider-woman!

Regarding the origin of Carol's powers, my hope is still that they update things slightly but keep Mar-Vell as the Kree champion -- a Kree military Captain who had his race's version of the Super-Soldier process done on him. And that, when his death was nigh, he or the Kree or the Nova Corps or whatever find some way to transfer those powers to Carol, not just because she happens to be there, but because of all the people present, she's the only one who can handle them. If she gets whisked along into events out in space after some of those agencies come to Earth would be about the only way I could see that happening.

--Jonah

SDCC NEWS!!

SKRULLS!
Concept art unveiled
Movie will be set in the early 90's
Nick Fury will be in it...with both eyes!
Safe to assume that Peggy Carter will be back as the head of S.H.I.E.L.D.

IMG_6718.JPGIMG_6717.JPGIMG_6719.JPG

Skrulls! Holy crap ... that means ... now I'm 99.9% sure that means
Marvel did strike some deal with Fox to have FF! Remember that the first Avengers film featured the Chitauri ONLY because, at the time, they couldn't use Skrulls because, as FF characters, they belonged to Fox. They must've exchanged that for the right to have X-Men on TV.
That also seems to tie in with the heavy Jack Kirby aesthetic of Thor Ragnarok.

Skrulls! Holy crap ... that means ... now I'm 99.9% sure that means
Marvel did strike some deal with Fox to have FF! Remember that the first Avengers film featured the Chitauri ONLY because, at the time, they couldn't use Skrulls because, as FF characters, they belonged to Fox. They must've exchanged that for the right to have X-Men on TV.
That also seems to tie in with the heavy Jack Kirby aesthetic of Thor Ragnarok.

Hopefully....

...the Doom movie is just BS by Fox. Or at least Marvel secretly produces it. But I do think that we need the FF and Doom done right at the same time. I don't really see any threat or a plot around Doctor Doom if they introduce him before the FF.

Hopefully....

...the Doom movie is just BS by Fox. Or at least Marvel secretly produces it. But I do think that we need the FF and Doom done right at the same time. I don't really see any threat or a plot around Doctor Doom if they introduce him before the FF.
I'm hoping it's a red herring. I almost wish I didn't see that concept art because I'd really rather remain in the dark.

But why would they release those images unless they wanted to give a nudge to the cognoscenti? - if that's the case, I'm willing to bet there are a lot more of us than they thought.

Regarding the origin of Carol's powers, my hope is still that they update things slightly but keep Mar-Vell as the Kree champion -- a Kree military Captain who had his race's version of the Super-Soldier process done on him. And that, when his death was nigh, he or the Kree or the Nova Corps or whatever find some way to transfer those powers to Carol, not just because she happens to be there, but because of all the people present, she's the only one who can handle them. If she gets whisked along into events out in space after some of those agencies come to Earth would be about the only way I could see that happening.

--Jonah

I had thought that Agents of SHIELD, and later Homecoming, set up the idea that after Avengers there's a lot of alien tech scattered around being put to nefarious uses. I thought it was an easy way in to say that post Civil War, the government needed a new posterboy to replace Captain America. Carol, who has a military record, could have been that replacement only instead of Erskine's procedure, they used Kree tech to give her powers. Fits with the MCU, and also isn't too far from her original origin.

But the 90s prequel thing sort of negates it all.

Question: didn't she also have a brother who died in Vietnam? I seem to recall that from an old X-Men comic when Rogue had absorbed part of her psyche and a bunch of her powers, and briefly wore her Warbird costume.

Question: didn't she also have a brother who died in Vietnam? I seem to recall that from an old X-Men comic when Rogue had absorbed part of her psyche and a bunch of her powers, and briefly wore her Warbird costume.

Yes, Carol's brother, Steve, was in the military and was killed in action.

Yikes. Hopefully that's her preliminary costume or one used for special effects and she dons the red and blue costume in the movie.

There's a lot of people suggesting this is a S.W.O.R.D. variant of her costume, or it's a version 1 that comes from Mar-Vell. I think it may be the former and we are actually seeing the filming of one of the post credit stingers.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back