Captain Marvel

To (somewhat) forgive Fox and Singer, they based their X-Men movies heavily on the Ultimate versions of the characters, in which Storm was American, not a former orphan from Cairo who grew up to be a weather goddess in Kenya before Xavier recruited her. So while I think Iman would have been (and probably still would be) the best 616 Storm ever, I can grudgingly allow for Halle Berry in the role. *shrug*

As for Captain Marvel... They have options. A lot still depends on Guardians 2 and Ragnarok and how much more we get to see of the Kree. I will be furious if the character isn't introduced first as the Kree champion Mar-Vell, whose powers get transferred to an Earth person (either Carol Danvers, Monica Rambeau, or Kamala Khan -- I'd be fine with any of them, if done well). I know this film is going with Danvers, which I kinda wish they weren't, since Marvel Studios doesn't have X-Men rights, and I'd want Carol to start out as Marvel, become Binary, join the Starjammers (which requires Scott Summers' dad), and have them interact (with hilariously catastrophic results) with the Guardians of the Galaxy... But alas. So, given that, I think I'd rather see Kamala done justice on the big screen. *shrug*

--Jonah

To (somewhat) forgive Fox and Singer, they based their X-Men movies heavily on the Ultimate versions of the characters, in which Storm was American, not a former orphan from Cairo who grew up to be a weather goddess in Kenya before Xavier recruited her. So while I think Iman would have been (and probably still would be) the best 616 Storm ever, I can grudgingly allow for Halle Berry in the role. *shrug*

As for Captain Marvel... They have options. A lot still depends on Guardians 2 and Ragnarok and how much more we get to see of the Kree. I will be furious if the character isn't introduced first as the Kree champion Mar-Vell, whose powers get transferred to an Earth person (either Carol Danvers, Monica Rambeau, or Kamala Khan -- I'd be fine with any of them, if done well). I know this film is going with Danvers, which I kinda wish they weren't, since Marvel Studios doesn't have X-Men rights, and I'd want Carol to start out as Marvel, become Binary, join the Starjammers (which requires Scott Summers' dad), and have them interact (with hilariously catastrophic results) with the Guardians of the Galaxy... But alas. So, given that, I think I'd rather see Kamala done justice on the big screen. *shrug*

--Jonah

Um... no. No they didn't. X1 came out in 2000. The Ultimate X-Men were published between 2001 - 2009.

Well, I hadn't wanted to get bogged down in paper-trail stuff... *heh* The X-Men film was in development for so long, and by the time Brian Singer came on, he was talking to Marvel about some of the IP matters, the notion of a modern take on the team was discussed -- at the same time Marvel was planning the launch of the Ultimate imprint. The film came out in July of 2000, and the Ultimate titles launched that fall. Ultimate Spider-man came first, in October of 2000. Ultimate X-Men followed in February of 2001. Production timeline means the first issue of UXM was locked and going to press probably in September of 2000, and the initial concepts for them (and the Ultimate Universe, in general) would have been hammered out in editorial conferences a year or two earlier -- while the film was being written. Forensically, I think it'd be impossible to tease out exactly which influenced the other in which way(s) in the planning stages, but there are too many parallels to dismiss it out of hand: Rogue's background, age, and appearance; the dark tactical uniforms the team wears; the look of Cyclops' visor; and so on.

--Jonah

I'm 110% behind casting Brie Larson for this role, fantastic actress with an Oscar to boot. She was my top choice and actually preferred her over Emily Blunt due to her younger age for franchise longevity. Those who think she's too young are just looking at her age, she's played more mature roles in Trainwreck and Room, and can easily pass for early 30s. Hopefully they can get this deal done.

This is it. This is what I've been waiting for. Stuff is actually happening with Captain Marvel and so far, everything looks great!

Brie Larson confirmed for Captain Marvel.

CoGH3ARUMAEmZnk.jpg

I've known Brie since she was born, even crash-edited the tape her folks sent to down to agents way-back when. Good for her, but I have trouble even looking at her now. I'll be skipping.

Hey, I just pondered a thought. You think any other studio would have kept the title "Captain Marvel" if it wasn't Marvel Studios? I look at the title and I think of a studio head saying,

"We can't call it Captain Marvel. We already have a Captain in our film series and it's called Captain America. America in and of itself is already marvelous. People will get confused!"

or alternatively,

"Captain Marvel? Do we really need to name a super hero after our own studio? It's too redundant anyways. The reviews would find all sorts of ways to mock the redundancy. Marvel's Captain Marvel is no Marvel."

Again, just pondering. I've seen studios change the names of movies for goofier reasons.

I think Marvel itself might have faced the same dilemma during the early phase of the character in the comics, but they made it work and so will they in the movies.

Other studios wouldn't have reached the level of success to green-light a movie like Captain Marvel cause they can't see the potential of these characters.

No other studio would have allowed Guardians of the Galaxy to go beyond the idea stage cause it would have sounded ridiculous. Sometimes the audience are no better either, as they are shortsighted too.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back