Captain Marvel

CBR has an interview with James Gunn that briefly mentions Captain Marvel, but no real news, other than that as of the interview, they hadn't cast the role yet. He did say, though, that "There's a lot of good people that were brought up. There's one person I think is great, but I'm not sure if she's going to get it or not."

Last edited by a moderator:
I was listening to The Q&A with Jeff Goldsmith (podcast) interview with Meg LeFauve, one of the three screenwriters of Inside Out. It was amazing to hear her process for screenwriting and her grasp of emotional storytelling - especially how it was applied in the crafting of Inside Out . At the end they mentioned she was now working on the screenplay of Captain Marvel (with Nicole Perlman) and that they're still in the research phase. With this writer at the helm this has got to become an amazing film.

Prepare yourself for the most unpopular post in this thread:
Katie Sackhoff is the worst! I even hated her in BSG!
More important, I feel it's unfair to call this movie Captain Marvel. The majority of the average people only know of ONE Captain Marvel. He wears a red suit, cries "Shazam" to transform and rivals the might of Superman.

No, the majority of people out there have no idea who Captain Marvel is and would likely think that the character is a Marvel character based on the name. Most people don't really know DC's Capt. Marvel by that name, the majority of people think his name is Shazam.

No, the majority of people out there have no idea who Captain Marvel is and would likely think that the character is a Marvel character based on the name. Most people don't really know DC's Capt. Marvel by that name, the majority of people think his name is Shazam.

Normally you and I agree on the same stuff Riceball, but Im going to go out on a limb here and disagree with you. He only got renamed as Shazam with the new 52 relaunch, which they are already going to reboot again... They are both pretty obscure characters, but Captain Marvel (DC version) has been around for quite a long time. When I think of Captain Marvel, I think of the DC version. I dont think its unfair to call the movie that, because once people see the trailers or what not, they are of course going to know its a Marvel character and not DC. I hope its not just pandering to a female audience, with marvel trying to be "progressive" so I hope that its actually a good movie and not just a cash grab. But Im not all that familiar with Carol Danvers, the main thing I know about her is that Rogue stole her powers, thats about it. Something to do with the Kree too.

Normally you and I agree on the same stuff Riceball, but Im going to go out on a limb here and disagree with you. He only got renamed as Shazam with the new 52 relaunch, which they are already going to reboot again... They are both pretty obscure characters, but Captain Marvel (DC version) has been around for quite a long time. When I think of Captain Marvel, I think of the DC version. I dont think its unfair to call the movie that, because once people see the trailers or what not, they are of course going to know its a Marvel character and not DC. I hope its not just pandering to a female audience, with marvel trying to be "progressive" so I hope that its actually a good movie and not just a cash grab. But Im not all that familiar with Carol Danvers, the main thing I know about her is that Rogue stole her powers, thats about it. Something to do with the Kree too.

I totally understand that DC's Catp. Marvel has been officially renamed Shazam as of the New 52, but that only illustrates the point I was trying to make, that the general public knows this character better as Shazam than Capt. Marvel. If you were to show a picture of this character to a bunch of different who aren't really hard core comic book geeks I'd bet that the majority of the ones who actually recognize the character will tell you that it's Shazam.

As for the other Capt. Marvel, I bet that most non-comic book people won't recognize her at all. I don't think that she's a generally well known character outside of serious comic book/Marvel fans. I've never even seen any pictures of people dressed up as her either and there are plenty of people out there who like dressing up as obscure characters too.

Marvel is the last company to make those decisions just to pander to a demographic. Don't forget there was huge public opinion that Black Widow deserved her own movie but Kevin Feige rightfully stated basically that each film is planned according to the demands of the story/stories they're trying to tell. It's not about "let's go for the female/black/Asian audience demographic with the next movie." Feige is a fanboy who employs other fanboys to make films they want to see. DC/Warner is the one populated with execs seemingly scratching their heads trying to find formulas that would attract fans that they don't inherently understand.

I totally understand that DC's Catp. Marvel has been officially renamed Shazam as of the New 52, but that only illustrates the point I was trying to make, that the general public knows this character better as Shazam than Capt. Marvel. If you were to show a picture of this character to a bunch of different who aren't really hard core comic book geeks I'd bet that the majority of the ones who actually recognize the character will tell you that it's Shazam.

As for the other Capt. Marvel, I bet that most non-comic book people won't recognize her at all. I don't think that she's a generally well known character outside of serious comic book/Marvel fans. I've never even seen any pictures of people dressed up as her either and there are plenty of people out there who like dressing up as obscure characters too.

I would tend to agree with this assessment... mainly also because the DC Captain Marvel has had a a lot more mainstream exposure previously....

I still remember watching this as a kid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7TR4ixOkhM

I didn't even know about the Marvel iteration of Captain Mar-vell until I started collecting comic books... and that was when he was still a dude...

Marvel is the last company to make those decisions just to pander to a demographic. Don't forget there was huge public opinion that Black Widow deserved her own movie but Kevin Feige rightfully stated basically that each film is planned according to the demands of the story/stories they're trying to tell. It's not about "let's go for the female/black/Asian audience demographic with the next movie." Feige is a fanboy who employs other fanboys to make films they want to see. DC/Warner is the one populated with execs seemingly scratching their heads trying to find formulas that would attract fans that they don't inherently understand.

Im not too sure about that. Do you follow Marvel Comics? Look at what they are doing to Thor(made her a woman) Captain Marvel (made her a muslim) Captain America (made him african american) Iceman (made him gay) and so on. And I dont even follow the comics that much anymore, who knows what else they are doing. Are they seeing increases in sales? Not really, but they are trying out different things to try and up those, like I said, I hope the film division doesnt go that route to just pander to people, I hope they are really good films. Like Riceball said, Carol Danvers is a really obscure character, why does she get her own movie? Same with Black Panther. As far as I know, they arent really that big of additions to the Avengers universe. Hell, if that was the case, Vision and Scarlet Witch should get their own movies first. Also talks about the Iron First movie casting a Asian guy, it just seems to me that they are doing that with the films, like they are with the comics. Which it doesnt really matter to me, as long as the movies are good. Black Panther looks rad in Cap3, but do I think the character deserves his own movie based on what I know from the comics? Not really. Same with Carol Danvers. She isnt even in the infinty gauntlet storyline from the comics that the films are supposedly based on. Just kind of a hard pill to swallow that there are a ton of fanboys/girls clamoring for a Captain Marvel movie... Or a Black Panther one.

Last edited:
I've never even seen any pictures of people dressed up as her either and there are plenty of people out there who like dressing up as obscure characters too.

Ahem.

Look up Carol Corps. She has a HUGE following. Is she well-known among non-comic fans? Okay, not so much. But she'll get there. She is quite popular among Marvel comic readers. I, for one, would love to see more shows and movies that aren't just based on the most popular mainstream characters - and Marvel is doing a good job of that.

Im not too sure about that. Do you follow Marvel Comics? Look at what they are doing to Thor(made her a woman) Captain Marvel (made her a muslim) Captain America (made him african american) Iceman (made him gay) and so on. And I dont even follow the comics that much anymore, who knows what else they are doing. Are they seeing increases in sales? Not really, but they are trying out different things to try and up those, like I said, I hope the film division doesnt go that route to just pander to people, I hope they are really good films. Like Riceball said, Carol Danvers is a really obscure character, why does she get her own movie? Same with Black Panther. As far as I know, they arent really that big of additions to the Avengers universe. Hell, if that was the case, Vision and Scarlet Witch should get their own movies first. Also talks about the Iron First movie casting a Asian guy, it just seems to me that they are doing that with the films, like they are with the comics. Which it doesnt really matter to me, as long as the movies are good. Black Panther looks rad in Cap3, but do I think the character deserves his own movie based on what I know from the comics? Not really. Same with Carol Danvers. She isnt even in the infinty gauntlet storyline from the comics that the films are supposedly based on. Just kind of a hard pill to swallow that there are a ton of fanboys/girls clamoring for a Captain Marvel movie... Or a Black Panther one.
we're talking about the MCU, correct? Comics are the product of dozens of creative talents of variable quality few of whom collaborate. If you reference 60 years of comics you can make the case for anything.

We're talking about Feige and the MCU.

I probably come from a different generation of comic reader.
The male Captain Marvel was a major character when it comes to fighting Thanos in the 1970's. It just so happens that the current generation is probably more familiar with the female Captain Marvel. Why not abbreviate the history and make it about her? From the writing standpoint it's logical.

I think Black Panther deserves attention as well simply because he's a very interesting character with a great lore behind him. That alone qualifies him for a film, no? And they didn't cast an Asian for Iron Fist. The character is white and so was the casting - most of the talk about making him Asian was coming from the public.

Last edited:
Ahem.

http://i.imgur.com/ZS6J77Zl.jpg

Look up Carol Corps. She has a HUGE following. Is she well-known among non-comic fans? Okay, not so much. But she'll get there. She is quite popular among Marvel comic readers. I, for one, would love to see more shows and movies that aren't just based on the most popular mainstream characters - and Marvel is doing a good job of that.
Not huge but definitely a solid, faithful and outspoken fandom. I respect that. Weren't Firefly fans also considered just a small but faithful and outspoken group once?

I was kind of talking about both, about how the comics affect the movies, and vice versa. I understand that, but the teams focus on that character. I was specifically talking about the characters though, not comics in general.

Ok, Feige and the MCU it is.

So yeah, youre older than me, I was born in 82' so my experience with comics is from the 80's going forward to the mid 90's. Hence my rogue reference regarding how she stole her powers from Ms. Marvel. Im not saying that they ARE pandering, I just hope that they ARENT, and I feel if the movies are good, then Im all about it. Any good superhero movie is good for the genre in my eyes, regardless who its about. As you know from the BvS thread, I wanted that to be a good movie, but man, it was so not. Im more into marvel, but cmon, everyone likes Batman and Superman.

It does, but like I said, I wasnt too familar, and to me, from what I remember, he wasnt that interesting of a character. But who knows, maybe the team can make a believer out of me. They definitely got the look right, thats for sure, he looks badass! I just mentioned Iron Fist because I read about something this morning, I personally dont really care about the character so I dont care what they do :lol

I wasnt a big fan of Daredevil, because I thought the character was lame, but I started watching the Netflix series, and they made me like him. I hope they do the same thing with Captain Marvel and Black Panther, thats all Im saying. I want them to make good films not just "he look we have a girl in a starring role, and an african american in another!" kind of mentality.

Ahem.

http://i.imgur.com/ZS6J77Zl.jpg

Man. I want a girlfriend that will dress up with me for cons and such. How fun would that be?! And think of the opportunities! What a great costume! :love

I was kind of talking about both, about how the comics affect the movies, and vice versa. I understand that, but the teams focus on that character. I was specifically talking about the characters though, not comics in general.

Ok, Feige and the MCU it is.

So yeah, youre older than me, I was born in 82' so my experience with comics is from the 80's going forward to the mid 90's. Hence my rogue reference regarding how she stole her powers from Ms. Marvel. Im not saying that they ARE pandering, I just hope that they ARENT, and I feel if the movies are good, then Im all about it. Any good superhero movie is good for the genre in my eyes, regardless who its about. As you know from the BvS thread, I wanted that to be a good movie, but man, it was so not. Im more into marvel, but cmon, everyone likes Batman and Superman.

It does, but like I said, I wasnt too familar, and to me, from what I remember, he wasnt that interesting of a character. But who knows, maybe the team can make a believer out of me. They definitely got the look right, thats for sure, he looks badass! I just mentioned Iron Fist because I read about something this morning, I personally dont really care about the character so I dont care what they do :lol

I wasnt a big fan of Daredevil, because I thought the character was lame, but I started watching the Netflix series, and they made me like him. I hope they do the same thing with Captain Marvel and Black Panther, thats all Im saying. I want them to make good films not just "he look we have a girl in a starring role, and an african american in another!" kind of mentality.
Heck, I became a true believer when they actually had the huevos to make a Thor movie and it didn't stink. That took guts. Until I actually saw the movie I was cringing about the very idea.
If Feige says they're going to make something work I tend to believe it will.

Heck, I became a true believer when they actually had the huevos to make a Thor movie and it didn't stink. That took guts. Until I actually saw the movie I was cringing about the very idea.
If Feige says they're going to make something work I tend to believe it will.

You know, considering how his track record is, I think youre right. :)

Hell, I lost my mind when they teased Thanos in a movie. The IG storyline is one of my favorite story arcs ever, its on my desk right now! I never thought in my lifetime they would ever attempt to adapt that to a film. I still cant believe it! In Feige we trust!

I really hope they atleast somewhat follow the origin timeline. We've got the Kree established in GOTG, so Mar-Vell being a Kree military Captain and his powers getting transferred to a human (whichever incarnation they end up going with). Long as they don't ignore Mar-Vell, I'm cool. :D

Oh, and I'm in the camp that when I first saw this thread I thought I was referring to Billy Batson's alter-ego, as well.

--Jonah

I really hope they atleast somewhat follow the origin timeline. We've got the Kree established in GOTG, so Mar-Vell being a Kree military Captain and his powers getting transferred to a human (whichever incarnation they end up going with). Long as they don't ignore Mar-Vell, I'm cool. :D

Oh, and I'm in the camp that when I first saw this thread I thought I was referring to Billy Batson's alter-ego, as well.

--Jonah

Ha! Take THAT riceball! ;)

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back