Cptdragon9's Godzilla 2014 Halloween Costume Contest Entry

cptdragon9

at the show.jpg IMG_5831.JPG

Cpt Dragon's Godzilla 2000 (MireGoji)

I have been a rank amateur building for about 3 years now, though I have helped the neighborhood children dress as 'Bogs, vampires, etc. On occasion genius would strike. I did a zombie one year by gluing live meal worms to my face and managed to clear out a whole buffet line!

After watching Face Off and attending my first comic con, I got the bug real bad. Since I am not young nor skinny enough for super-heroines I went for the bad boys. My first build wasDoc Oc. About 2 years ago I did a full body King Ghidorah build mostly out of cloth and worked with soft foam for the first time. After somebody sent me a link to Becoming Godzilla I decided to go for it. This is my first full body foam build of anything, so in my madness I tackle the Big Guy (full build)

The actual build time was about eight weeks, though plotting in my head was much longer. What took the most time was the texturing of the body, taking scraps leftover from cutting the fins and gluing them in long strips. I ended up using regular house latex paint to cover, first in grey (which he looked great in as well ) before covering in Dark Forest Green. I reused the King Ghidorah feet and added an extra toe. Originally I was going to keep the hands and feet just duct taped and spray painted, but ended up running foam texture on them too. Glad I did; it looked much better.

The head came out excellent, better than I had hoped.

IMG_5602_zpse7aa2650.jpg

IMG_5625_zps36a50402.jpg
IMG_5669_zps07e54f50.jpg
IMG_5679_zps77d64a23.jpg
IMG_5696_zps1d2d61e9.jpg

Setbacks? I didn't have much of a form for the body,so he looks a little dumpy or SD'ish in a Chibi sort of way. The neck doesn't quite line up with the chest, and I didn't remeasure the neck when I added the velcro to secure the neck to the body so my first outting in the costume had my cheek right up on the chicken wire in the neck. Also the mp3 player I had in the neck kinda was blasting Blue Oyster Cult's "Godzilla" in my ear. Also I tried to get that slick look on the scales so I have like 5 layers of paint on them, making them heavy. I think the next set I will glue tissue paper over them and then paint to make them lighter.

IMG_5614_zpsafb4a806.jpg
IMG_5699_zps13c28f2a.jpg
IMG_5723_zpse8106177.jpg

IMG_5725_zpsfd3addfe.jpg

I also need to reinforce or revamp the upper body as I ended up ripping out his shoulders and arms (the upper arms were part of the main body, leaving only the lower arms free) and tearing across his chest. The 4 point velcro used to hold the tail to the costume wouldn't hold but five steps. We ended up sewing fishing line around the butt and the tail stayed on great!

I also think I have developed and addiction to hot glue. I can't seem to shake the smell of it, even at work.

The head came out excellent, better than I had hoped. The fins seemed a little bright, but they sure did stand out. Got a lot of complements, but heck, if yer gonna build the big guy, you Need those fins!

IMG_5742_zps348965a8.jpg

[video]http://vid245.photobucket.com/albums/gg69/Cptdragon9/Godzilla%20build/MVI_5748_zpsk4ludhbg.mp4[/video]

[video]http://vid245.photobucket.com/albums/gg69/Cptdragon9/Godzilla%20build/MVI_5795_zpsmgdlbatl.mp4[/video]

We just trotted him out for the Santa Fe Tri Con last week. Needless to say he was a huge hit. Linda Blair (of Exorcist fame) ditched her signature signing line to bubble all over him. Alas we didn't win, but came very very close. I plan to revamp the body so it looks and moves better, maybe converting him to the Destroyer version for next year, once I figure out how to make him smoke....

at the show.jpg

IMG_5831.JPG

IMG_5602_zpse7aa2650.jpg

IMG_5625_zps36a50402.jpg

IMG_5669_zps07e54f50.jpg

IMG_5679_zps77d64a23.jpg

IMG_5696_zps1d2d61e9.jpg

IMG_5614_zpsafb4a806.jpg

IMG_5699_zps13c28f2a.jpg

IMG_5723_zpse8106177.jpg

IMG_5725_zpsfd3addfe.jpg

IMG_5742_zps348965a8.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Where is this gallery? I have posted picts here and in the Halloween thread.

(edit)
Nevermind... I found somebody else asking the same question and followed the link....

Last edited:
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back