Marty McFly Safari Shirt - Back to the Future

These are up for sale again on eBay for $60. Just search Bttf Marty shirt and it should be the first one.
https://scontent-cdg2-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=9d0488de989d648df0f720c761b60ec6&oe=571AF1FE

Thanks for posting this. I saw his shirts up on Ebay a while back, but all he had was size XL. I just ordered a size S. Pretty pricey, but I'm hoping the quality and accuracy justifies the cost. According to the stock photo, the lighter-color grey lines look almost perfect... much better than even the official Shah Safari repro.

I read what you said about the shirts fitting a little large. I'm thinking that a size S might work perfectly, then. I figure I can always try to shrink it in the dryer or even take it to an alteration place to get it cinched up a bit if it's too big. It's much easier to work with if it's too big than if it's too small.

Thanks for posting this. I saw his shirts up on Ebay a while back, but all he had was size XL. I just ordered a size S. Pretty pricey, but I'm hoping the quality and accuracy justifies the cost. According to the stock photo, the lighter-color grey lines look almost perfect... much better than even the official Shah Safari repro.

I read what you said about the shirts fitting a little large. I'm thinking that a size S might work perfectly, then. I figure I can always try to shrink it in the dryer or even take it to an alteration place to get it cinched up a bit if it's too big. It's much easier to work with if it's too big than if it's too small.

lol $60 for a piece of the McFly costume is nothing. It's when you get to the denim jacket and vest that it starts getting pricey. And if you're bigger than MJF himself then a small should be good. I'm only an inch taller than him so there's not much, if at all, any difference when it comes to sizing costume pieces. And certain manufacturers size things differently.

I used to own a Shah Safari shirt that I bought in 1985 that looked just like the one in the movie except that it had long sleeves. As it was my favorite shirt, I remember it vividly. The tag on the inside of the shirt was very large, the font was very large and bold. It looked very much like this tag on this early 90's Shah Safari shirt: tag.jpg

I used to own a Shah Safari shirt that I bought in 1985 that looked just like the one in the movie except that it had long sleeves. As it was my favorite shirt, I remember it vividly. The tag on the inside of the shirt was very large, the font was very large and bold. It looked very much like this tag on this early 90's Shah Safari shirt:View attachment 574316

Did it look like this, or was it slightly different?
$_1.JPG

Does anyone have the new Shah Safari shirt? The lines were made thinner than the past runs, but a picture of someone wearing it would be better than the provided pictures on ebay.

Here is a close up of my replica shirt compared to the new Shah Safari shirt.
5421_10206183635537903_3652701617954820012_n.jpg

$_1.JPG

My shirt has one less hash line so the lines can have more space between them to appear lighter at a distance. I think Shah Safari did a better job at this run by making the lines thinner, but maybe if they made them a bit thinner the shirt would look closer to the movie. That's just my guess from the pictures they provided.

Last edited:
Yeah I got one of the new ones and I really like it! I never got the 30th anniversary version but from comparing pictures I think it's MUCH better than before.

Very happy with mine, I would definitely suggest picking one up while you still can.

Does anyone have the new Shah Safari shirt? The lines were made thinner than the past runs, but a picture of someone wearing it would be better than the provided pictures on ebay.

Here is a close up of my replica shirt compared to the new Shah Safari shirt.
https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=8987cd9f5e6f4b1c5c85a78d00b449f3&oe=574B93E3
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NzUyWDQ4NQ==/z/7aoAAOSwUuFWwfBI/$_1.JPG
My shirt has one less hash line so the lines can have more space between them to appear lighter at a distance. I think Shah Safari did a better job at this run by making the lines thinner, but maybe if they made them a bit thinner the shirt would look closer to the movie. That's just my guess from the pictures they provided.

Last edited:
So I was looking at some Austin Powers stuff and found the shirt maker that made the ones for the film and they had a list of films they worked on and look what I found...
Screen Shot 2017-09-18 at 6.09.24 PM.png
Perhaps they made this shirt...

Just found a vintage Shah Safari shirt with 3/4 sleeves. Looks very similar to Marty's, although the patterns in the wrong array. Personally I haven't seen anything closer than this, I'm wondering if anyone actually has an OG original SA one?
23bd3bb740b699e3602e14bc6059c73c.jpg
3a87048c59d72462530ddf043cd3734d.jpg
14aa119300a50ea977494df53a2302d1.jpg
8e3c9240969e60245a42a1c253cc798c.jpg

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Re: Does anyone own an original Marty McFly Shah Safari shirt?

I don't think that's that same exact shirt because if you look closely the sleeves appear to be tighter and longer than the one MJF wears in BTTF.

A funny/weird coincidence though, is that MJF actually did own a shirt that looks just like the one in European Vacation.
View attachment 440092
Sorry to necro post but I believe this is the same shirt Michael is wearing here, a happy coincidence for sure but likely not from Shah Safari.
Michael J_ Fox Pictures.jpg

Has anyone found/seen/have a picture of a real 1980's Shah Safari shirt? I haven't ever seen any evidence besides the article that states it was a Shah Safari shirt. I've seen several shirts that look similar but nothing that is the same.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back