Marty McFly Safari Shirt - Back to the Future

Re: Original Marty McFly Safari Shirt at auction! Back to the Future

The shirt has been on film three times at least. They are called half sleeves I believe, and I have always seen them rolled.

On a note Shah Safari has the pattern of this shirt registered as a copyright. They will pursue anyone who produces replicas of this shirt for sale.

Last edited:

On a note Shah Safari has the pattern of this shirt registered as a patent/trademark. They will pursue anyone who produces replicas of this shirt.

To to quote Cousin Eddie. "Pffffft"

image.jpg

I state this lovingly as we all here skate the fine line of having a C&D sent to us or have been contacted by Disney, AMPAS, Lucasfilm or Marvel. Though I am pretty sure this fabric design has been used before.

So is it just me, or are the chest pockets sewn into that seam that runs down the front of the shirt?

The shirt has been on film three times at least. They are called half sleeves I believe, and I have always seen them rolled.

On a note Shah Safari has the pattern of this shirt registered as a patent/trademark. They will pursue anyone who produces replicas of this shirt.

How can you copyright straight lines?
They aren't the first to use that type of design, so i don't see how anyone else cannot produce a similar looking shirt.

You can find these types of chequered black and white lined styled shirts or styles very commonly.
I just googled one now. Might not be exact, but they can't exactly sue anyone for using straight lines. Nobody has copyright over straight lines going over each other!

If someone in the far east produces this shirt, they can't do diddly squat!

robert-graham-black-jaden-check-dress-shirt-product-1-5093647-535226551.jpeg

Last edited:

All the Shah Safari shirts I've seen are not accurate anyway. The lighter lines are too dark and the spacing looks incorrect.

How can you copyright straight lines?
They aren't the first to use that type of design, so i don't see how anyone else cannot produce a similar looking shirt.

You can find these types of chequered black and white lined styled shirts or styles very commonly.
I just googled one now. Might not be exact, but they can't exactly sue anyone for using straight lines. Nobody has copyright over straight lines going over each other!

If someone in the far east produces this shirt, they can't do diddly squat!

View attachment 440035

The shirts are not made with straight lines. They are made with small diagonal lines. It sounds like you have no clue how this shirt is printed. Shah Safari is out of Washington State, and yes they can. The shirt you have in the picture is not even close.

Last edited:

All the Shah Safari shirts I've seen are not accurate anyway. The lighter lines are too dark and the spacing looks incorrect.

Having a current Shah in my hand comparing it to the screen used one pictured above, I would say the spacing is dead on based on the buttons being the same size. Watch the opening of National Lampoons European vacation. That was filmed in better light and without the filters used in BTTF. Shirt is the same.

Last edited:

Here is a picture of the Shah Safari shirt without the filters used in BTTF. Looks right on.
Marty in Shah Safari with Huey Lewis.png

Re: Does anyone own an original Marty McFly Shah Safari shirt?

Here's a few more screencaps from European Vacation. So if this is the same brand shirt, then it also came in blue and with long sleeves:

Vacation Shirt 1.jpgVacation Shirt 2.jpgVacation Shirt 3.jpg

I don't think that's that same exact shirt because if you look closely the sleeves appear to be tighter and longer than the one MJF wears in BTTF.

A funny/weird coincidence though, is that MJF actually did own a shirt that looks just like the one in European Vacation.
b38350340c_1s33.jpg

Having a 2010 release in my hand comparing it to the screen used one pictured above, I would say the spacing is dead on based on the buttons being the same size. Watch the opening of National Lampoons European vacation. That was filmed in better light and without the filters used in BTTF. Shirt is the same.

Definitely not! The number of diagonal lines is different on all three shirts. The shirt in BTTF has 16 lines, the shirt from European Vacation has 12 lines and the 2010 Shah Safari release has 18 lines. Still questions?

Definitely not! The number of diagonal lines is different on all three shirts. The shirt in BTTF has 16 lines, the shirt from European Vacation has 12 lines and the 2010 Shah Safari release has 18 lines. Still questions?

I would love to see how you came up with 12 lines on the European vacation shirt. What was the line count on the Silver Spoons appearance?

And we have already covered why the current release has 15 lines vs. the supposed 16 lines from the original run in 1985. That does not change the spacing. Its 15 lines versus 16 in the same size box. The line count difference was known when they made the batch. It was done intentionally.

Yes I said 15. My shirts have 15 lines per segment. both horizontal and vertical. Every size. I own more than anyone. None have 18.

Last edited:

I get three lines on both sides that don't make it all the way through, just the shirt in front of me. I count 14 but the image is fuzzy. What is the whole screen image of this shot. I have it in HD and cannot get a shot good enough to get a clear shot.

Still don't have 18 on my shirts. What is the count on this shirt?

Screen used shirt 2.jpg

Here's a few more screencaps from European Vacation. So if this is the same brand shirt, then it also came in blue and with long sleeves:

View attachment 440088View attachment 440089View attachment 440090

Actually yes, I my discussions with Ronnie, the VP if Shah Safari he did tell me that there was a run of the shirt made that went through with a very minor blue hue to it. This had something to do with the type/quality of the cotton supplier for that run. I did not have a discussion about sleeve length, but Shah did offer other types of shirts in both long and half sleeve.

So this is going on two different threads now?

I am counting twelve as well. Fuzzy image or not, the lines are clear to count.

Could the shirt have been a longer sleeve (like the European Vacation one) and maybe the costume department simply tailored the shirts for MJF? He's a lot shorter, maybe it was tougher to find clothes that fit?

I've always found the bottom hem on the dark red T-shirt a bit odd looking, the hem looks funny. Plus it would be a really short shirt in real life.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back