Marty McFly Safari Shirt - Back to the Future

Re: Does anyone own an original Marty McFly Shah Safari shirt?

YOU DO NOT OWN AN OFF THE RACK EXACT MCFLY JACKET.

They were NEVER produced for sale. This has been confirmed by Guess. You own a replica fake. That style was never sold, was never on a rack. This was confirmed in an interview with Guess years ago and discussed at length on the old BTTF Forum.

They made custom jackets for the movie. For MJF and for the stunt men. 1 was given away in Teen Beat. That jacket has not turned up. Nor have the others.

So you are claiming that you own one of the 3 or 4 other jackets that were made? NO WAY. You are seriously full of it.

I personally have seen scans of the 1983, 1984 and 1985 Guess catalogs. That jacket does not appear in them. Similar accented styles do, but not with that pocket set, and not the black with blue accents.

Every similar style of jacket in those catalogs has appeared for sales hundreds of time of ebay. I personally own several of the styles. BUT Guess just happened to only produce a handful of jackets in the MCFly style? NO WAY. They mass produce clothing. If they made that jacket for retail there would be dozens-hundreds of them for sale that would have shown up over the years. I have seen every Guess Jacket that has been put on EBAY for the last 10 years+.

I have seen several fakes for sale over the years, of which you have obviously purchased one. A guy didn't see it for sale in Mexico, It was not produced in a limited run in China, A neighbor didn't have one in the 80's. NOPE.

I am sorry you spent money on a fake, thinking it was real. I hope you didn't get taken to badly.

Here are some pictures of fakes. Which one of these fakes did you buy?

A fake from europe.jpg A fake from US.jpg A fake from US 2.jpg

Here a picture of the lining. Not a long journey to find this.
a jacketint22.jpg

Real jackets:
jacket N1.JPG jacket m1.JPG Jacket a1.JPG Jacket l1.JPG

Last edited:

YOU DO NOT OWN AN OFF THE RACK EXACT MCFLY JACKET.
……..

I've been researching and collecting BTTF props for over a decade, you are now just attempting to derail my thread and waste everyones time. I've shown another member of this forum the actual jacket, who can vouch for me if they choose to, or not. I really don't care. It would appear you've come to RPF to troll and that is not the purpose of this forum or thread as far as I'm aware. So I'm not going to reply to any further of your posts unless you have something constructive to add to the conversation that pertains to the original Shah Safari shirt. I see you have your own BTTF forum though, so by all means if you want to go on accusatory rants, that would probably be a better place to do it.

Let's try to keep this civil guys, okay?

On another note; I'm not sure it's a nametag that can be seen in the screencaps. Looks more like light just reflecting back from the red shirt and shadows. :( Shame really.

BTTF shirt 1.jpgBTTF shirt 2.jpg

Dude, you have made some insane claims. I have been a BTTF collector since 1986 when the VHS came out. I have a massive collection. I have been a member in the first fan club, out of Colorado, and with Steve Clarks club since the beginning when it was a mail out newsletter. I was on the original forum from almost day 1.

This claim that you own on off the rack jacket is insane. Easily disproven. If you claimed to own one of the stunt men jackets that would be one thing. But you claim to own an OFF THE RACK jacket. A jacket that never existed. Your lies are wasting peoples time. You are trying to elevate yourself by claiming to own the Holy Grail, which you most definitely do not.

You have destroyed all credibility with this claim. As your clamming up now it just proves that my jacket post slammed the door on your fake jacket. You made that claim and brought it up. Not me. You never did answer the question. Which of the fakes did you buy? The right two were made by the same guy. He makes a fake every year/ year and a half and laughs all the way to the bank. I wish he wouldn't, but at least his fakes are easy to tell if you know where to look.

I have exclusive contracts with Shah Safari. You are attacking them claiming that what they claim is false. I will defend my business partner against stupid claims.

On another note; I'm not sure it's a nametag that can be seen in the screencaps. Looks more like light just reflecting back from the red shirt and shadows. :( Shame really.

View attachment 438197View attachment 438198

The 2010 re-make of the shirt uses a different tag than Shah used in the 80's. They knew this when they made it. To bad. If they used the square tag in the 80's you would not have been able to miss it.

But if you look at Marty's entire wardrobe, all the tags from all the clothing were removed, including the Nike on the back of the shoes, the Guess Triangle on the jeans, ETC.

Last edited:

View attachment 438197View attachment 438198

No problem, man. I'm sorry if this is getting out of hand. As I hope everyone can see all I want is to help uncover new info and definitively solve this last piece of the puzzle for the community.

Unfortunately, I'm kind of in agreement with you about the shirt tag, because after talking to Desi at screenused he said the one they sold didn't have a tag in it, which I guess would stay in line with them removing the word "Nike" on the shoes, and changing out the jacket lining to cover over the large Guess logo.

I have exclusive contracts with Shah Safari. You are attacking them claiming that what they claim is false. I will defend my business partner against stupid claims.

With all due respect, that alone calls your ability to be unbiased on this matter into question.

I too would love proof rather than hearsay on the matter...of which there seems to be plenty. Proof is harder to come by, simply because props and wardrobe weren't handled in the same way back then as they are now.

And for what it's worth, I'm a believer that the jacket is off the rack, likely from Mexico...at least based on what evidence I've seen.

The shirt on the other hand has enough differences between the movie version and the rerelease (Including the number of hash marks that make up the printing on the fabric...which if they had access to an original in their archives should never have been missed) that I'm willing to wait and see, since it seems far from settled in my book.

...and I don't have any business contracts to protect in this deal either. Just one fan's opinion, looking to find the truth.

-Nick

AHHHHHHHHHHHHH the Mexico story.

You can confirm that Guess had a plant in Mexico before 1990? I would love to see it. My research on the history of Guess and the other company that had a 50% stake in Guess in 1984 would indicate that you need to provide a shred of evidence that there was a plant in Mexico at the time the movie was filmed.

You see there wasn't. This is a tell tale sign of a fake jacket. Use the Mexico argument to somehow explain why no jackets ever showed up in the US.

I am interpreting that Lyon Estates jacket has a Mexico tag in it. If it has Mexico tags, I have pictures of that jacket before he bought it. Its a fake. One of the fakes that was attempted to be sold two years ago had Mexico Tags. Guy said he bought the jacket while on a trip to Mexico in 1979. I asked, and got a great story with very specific dates. Very believable. Except when I mentioned to him that Guess was not even formed as a company until the early 80's, he started to panic. His story changed 10 times as our conversation continued. YA, he lied, I caught him, and by the time I was done he would not admit to it being a fake but would say "many alterations" were done to the original jacket.

No plant in Mexico in the 80's. In 1984 Guess was 50% owned by Jordache. There were two locations items were made. Southern Cal and Hong Kong. The Hong Kong plant was a Jordache plant. None of the jackets in the style I posted above were made anywhere but the USA.

There were just a couple of Jordache styles that were tagged Guess and were made in Hong Kong.
HK1.JPG HK3.JPG

How do I know this. Simple, aside from being a kid/teen in the 80's and having an older sister who was WAY into cloths, there is legal evidence. You see Guess got in serious trouble with the Dept of Labor over not paying workers overtime and also attempting to pay workers less than minimum wage. This lawsuit specifically outlines all of Guess' manufacturing locations WORLDWIDE. This was a Federal probe and Guess had to pay some serious fines.
NO Mexico facility is mentioned in the suit.

ALSO, There is a history of Guess that was written years ago. It talks about the Jordache partnership and the dissolving of that agreement and it outlines manufacturing locations and specifically talks about the Hong Kong plant advantage of cheap labor and the Federal Labor probe. No mention of any operations in Mexico what so ever.

Nothing in the 1984-1986 catalogs lists Mexico. I know a lot about Guess. I own dozens and dozens of their products all from the 80's and easily 200-300 pictures of their products that were produced in the 80's.

The reason the lining on the McFly jacket was changed was because of the alterations made by Guess and the Costume staff at BTTF. The original liner was removed to mate the two jackets together and could not be put back. This is mentioned in an interview that Steve Clark did years ago with the costume staff at BTTF, and was posted to the original forum. It was NOT to remove the interior Guess Logo, a Logo that would never be seeing in filming. It was because of the severe alterations. They needed some kind of liner to put back. It is not a complete liner by the way. Also mentioned in the Clark interview.

As far as the differences in the shirt striping. Shah is very well aware of the difference in striping count. They made more strips for the 2010 run because of the increased quality of printing techniques that are used today. Should they have stuck with the original count? Yup. They should have. But that was a decision they made. The quality of the cotton was better so went with better printing. I have spoken with them specifically about the stripe issue. I was not involved with them back then, otherwise I would have told them to stick with the original count.

Keep in mind Shah Safari is a Billion Dollar company. The McFly shirt represents virtually nothing financially to them. SO why would they drum up a claim that was not true? It doesn't provided them any financial benefit. It actually puts them at risk. See, if they made the claim publicly which they have done since 1985, and another company came forward to challenge that claim it would be an embarrassment to them and hurt their reputation as a company. Except that wont happen, because they made the shirt.

Last edited:

It would have been odd for the costume department to use something made only for/in Mexico since everything else they used was picked locally. It's too bad the old BTTF forums are all down. Some wild stories out there...

It would have been odd for the costume department to use something made only for/in Mexico since everything else they used was picked locally. It's too bad the old BTTF forums are all down. Some wild stories out there...

The West Coast connections are almost uncanny for this movie.

Nike----Oregon
Shah Safari--Washington
Guess---California
Class-5-- Oregon
Calvin Klein--NYC, but major store in LA at that time.

It just further proves that things, Except the jacket, were pulled from local stores, and in a hurry. Class-5 (A company I attempted to purchase) was out of business by then, they got lucky to find several of the same thing.

As someone who actively followed those BTTF.com forum discussions regarding the jacket, I know for a fact that there were pictures posted as evidence from the 80s that showed one of the members wearing that jacket.

The costume designer had indeed made lot of alterations, but that particular design jacket (without the Casablanca inner fabric) itself was available through Guess. It was also seen on another TV show. No idea why it wasn't part of the catalogs, but it was featured and available beyond BTTF.

http://www.therpf.com/f45/marty-mcfly-1985-costume-where-now-119395/
Anyone who still has doubts, I suggest going through the above thread where the jacket topic eventually gets addressed. Lyon Estates also reposted some of the old pics and information there.

That Jacket is one of the "made" in Mexico fakes. The jacket is a fake.

That is one of the jackets I posted in my Jacket post on page 1.

The archives is missing some of the discussion pages. I was part of the discussion of that jacket. If you get to the later posts it is determined to be a fake.

That jacket has the wrong buttons, liner and tags, its missing its bottom tag. And again, NO plant in Mexico.

The guy that sold this jacket also sold a second one later. Not sure if this is the first or second jacket. At that point the cat was out of the bag. Two jackets from a production that never happened, with no wear of any kind, with the wrong parts listed above. This did him in.

Please understand, I WISH there was actaully a production run of the McFly jacket. If there was I would own three of them at least, we all would. But facts are facts and all the wishing in the world wont make these fakes real.

Last edited:

"The costume designer had indeed made lot of alterations, but that particular design jacket (without the Casablanca inner fabric) itself was available through Guess. It was also seen on another TV show. No idea why it wasn't part of the catalogs, but it was featured and available beyond BTTF."

See, the tv episode that is shown over and over to try to make claims the jacket was commercially available was filmed at Universal just after BTTF. The jacket was most likely pulled from the prop department. It is the only time on film the jacket is ever seen other than BTTF. Other styles have come up, ie: Cosby Show, but they have always been a different color combination and pocket set up. The jacket was not in the catalogs because it was never commercially produced. This has been proven through the lack of the jacket in the catalogs, lack of real jackets showing up for sale, and the interviews that Steve Clark did with Guess where they specifically explain the jackets were a one off for the movie.

That series of 4 pictures proves nothing. It shows Marty, a fake jacket, a headless picture of a guy in a photo that cannot be dated or proved, and the clip from a tv show filmed right after BTTF was done filming. In no way does this provide any evidence that the jacket was available for sale.

Last edited:

The TV show costume designer apparently did say it wasn't the same as from BTTF and that it was bought else where. The inner sleeve fabric didn't match with the BTTF jacket either. That headless picture was a full picture of the member when it was posted on the forum. He stated it was during mid 80s and that it was store brought. But yeah it could have been a fake though.

Either ways, Guess stating that it was a one off is indeed a better confirmation than anything else. I am guessing the interview was done for the Hill Valley Telegraph newsletter which was being printed during the 90s.

And what if the jacket featured in the movie is a fake??? That could be a possibility I guess...no pun intended!

At least now we can finally get accurate replicas. indymagnoli made alterations to his vest and is in the process of making his jacket more accurate by sourcing more screen accurate colors of fabrics.

Here is another example of the Shah Safari shirt from 1985. This is the opening of National Lampoon's European Vacation. This is a Warner Brothers movie and has nothing to do with Universal. You will recognize this guy as the "A-hole" from the Karate Kid.
Europen Vacation Shah Safari.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back