My Speedy Low-Budget Twisty The Clown Costume (American Horror Story)

laellee

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Soooo, in case you haven't noticed, Halloween is right around the corner. As usual, I'm too busy to do much for myself costume-wise, but this year the girlfriend committed us to a party so I've gotta throw something together. I haven't been a huge fan of the last couple of seasons of American Horror Story, but I do dig on Twisty the Clown A LOT. He's got a good creepy clown vibe, so I thought I'd give him a shot. I don't have a lot of time to put towards this, but he doesn't look tough at all so what the heck.

Anyways, here's what Twisty looks like for those who have not seen the show:

So the most challenging part of his costume to me is his face-mask... It's a pretty simple piece with elastic straps holding it on him, but it also has a bit of depth with the lips, teeth, and such. I started the mask this morning by modeling up a simple face covering, templating it in Pepakura, and then building that in thin (2mm) craft foam. I also pulled out some leftover Best-step 6mm foam I had to start working out an overlay for the mask's cheek details:

I rough-cut the cheek details out of the 6mm foam using my Pepakura template as a guide, rounding the sharp edges off with the dremel:

Once that was all hot-glued, I set about with the details work. Using a screenshot as a rough reference, I first drew in the teeth on the faceplate. I then cut each corresponding tooth from 6mm foam, dremelled it into shape, and hot-glued it in. I also built up the upper- and lower-lip details with more 6mm...

After chugging through that stuff, I had to pull all of this together to look decent and get rid of the floating-tooth look. I was hit-and-miss with my pics this morning, but I cut and glued in some gums out of 2mm craft foam to match up to the teeth, and then filled the gap between with hot glue to simulate a real mouth. After some extra filling with craft foam and glue, I laid on a couple of coats of pva glue to seal.

At this point, I had to let this dry up, so I ran to Walmart to get some fabric and such for the rest of the costume. A couple of heavy coats of Plastidip when I got back finally got it looking the way I wanted it to:

MEANWHILE AT WALMART,

I scored some thin white fleece for $2/yard, 1" red ribboning, and that no-sew tape for lame-asses who don't have a convenient sewing machine. I'm not going crazy on durability on the material, and it's all getting weathered to hell, so this stuff seemed like a great buy (and all of it for under $15). When I got back, I worked out really simple shirt and pant patterns, and snipped them out of my fleece...

All of the seams were then joined with the heat-n-bond tape, surprisingly durable to me. I also cut out the collar pieces from felt, and glued on my red ribbon trim to match his costume.

Next up, the pon pons on the front of his suit. He's got a couple of red ones and a yellow one (with white added), so I whipped these up after raiding the girlfriend's yarn bag:

I added a little fabric reinforcement to the top for the pon pons, and stitched them on as well. Here's the body of the costume so far:

I'm hoping to get the elastic added for the collars and the pants tonight, and then these parts are just about done save for weathering. Still have the scalp/bald cap, the gloves, and the shoes to work out (and of course his bag of toys), but not bad for a few hours of work. I wrapped up this evening with some teeth painting on the mask:

Well, it's not perfect, but it'll get the job done. :) Thanks for looking!

Wow!! For a quick throw together costume you sure got a lot done! The teeth turned out pretty well too. should the teeth have been bigger?

Yup, totally right on that. Normally I wouldn't sweat it, but once I started painting teeth the size really started to bother me. I may be able to salvage the bottoms, but the tops all need to be enlarged :thumbsup

I had actually considered doing this costume at some point, so your piece is going to be a big help. Thanks for taking all the step by step pics! When this is done, you should definitely enter it in the Halloween costume contest.

Thanks guys!

Put in a new set of larger choppers this morning, still needs work but a definite improvement:

That there is pretty sweet. I like the weathering on yours as well. The mask definitely needs to have that 'mouth full of teeth' look to it. :thumbsup I wanted to make mine more menacing, but when I looked at the screencaps I saw that the teeth looked almost 'doofy' to me than scary by themselves. So anyways I went back and enlarged the teeth one more time, and gave a once-over painting to get an idea of proportion. This pic isn't the best, but it looks really good when it's actually being worn and bent to the contour of the face:

I'll come back to that in a day with fresh eyes, then tweak it and dirty it up. Next up for now, gotta build some clown shoes. Thanks for looking!

OK. I should know this but I don't. Can you breakdown the pieces of software you used to make these great shoes? I just spent $75 for a leather pair for another scary clown costume I am doing ("They all float down here…") and it is time for me to get with the program. Also, did you automate cutting out a paper pattern first or just cut it out by hand and then transfer it to the foam?

OK. I should know this but I don't. Can you breakdown the pieces of software you used to make these great shoes? I just spent $75 for a leather pair for another scary clown costume I am doing ("They all float down here…") and it is time for me to get with the program. Also, did you automate cutting out a paper pattern first or just cut it out by hand and then transfer it to the foam?

I looked online first and realized that $10 would get me garbage styrene vacuum form shoes, otherwise I was paying A LOT more (I was seeing $40-$50 for pairs that were still garbage-quality, definitely no leather...) So I said forget it and did my own.

Modeled a simple clown shoe shape in Blender

I scaled it out so that I knew my boot would fit inside nicely, then I exported the file to Pepakura Designer and unfolded it for a foam build

From there, it was just a matter of print the templates, cut them out (by hand), and transfer to foam. It was a bit of legwork (no pun intended) but worth the couple of hours using materials I had on hand. When I get home this evening, I'll finish them and add detail wings; they should really be quite nice (and sturdy) once done, and definitely reusable.

Here's my Pepakura file, if anybody has a need for clown shoes. :) The file is default scaled at 1.000, and fits over my size 13 Doc Martens nicely:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/hjddw4xaj9l3576/1027_twisty_shoe_a_unfold.pdo

Got a bit more done this evening... Shoes were sealed, then painted black and white (for now). I installed velcro closure tabs as well to get them off with lace covers, here are the shoes without covers on:

Then, got on with the 'skull cap'. Although it hasn't been explained in the series yet, Twisty's bald cap is quite obviously SOMEBODY ELSE'S SCALP:

I had ordered a super cheap bald cap off Amazon, thinking I could modify that, but what arrived was essentially a hair net that a cafeteria worker would where... So that was a no-go. I'm not spending $30 for a higher quality bald cap that I would end up destroying, so tonight I headed back into Blender.

Like the boots, I modeled up a skull cap in Blender and then created some Pepakura templates for foam. I used 2mm craft foam, and the initial cap turned out better than I could have hoped. Sorry, no pics with it on yet, but here it is:

I expected some modding (besides trimming which I still need to do), but this one fits like a glove. I'm going to Plastidip the heck out of it to keep it flexible, then paint the body white and add the blood-edge details. I think this cap will accept the thee hair tufts Twisty has a lot easier than a typical skull cap as well. :thumbsup

Thanks for looking!

So I started finishing all of it.... And my natural crazy family HAD TO WATCH THE ROAD! Ugh, horrible situation, but stay away from me, watch my stuff.

Last edited:
OK well straight up, I'm not sure what is going to be good...... The other stuff seams a bit inappropriate...

...batting, sprayed afterwords.... Nicci's (member ERROR) hot glue love gave me confidence that I could make the scalp line look IMG_5317.JPGgood....

How much flex do your clown shoes have?

NONE. OK, that's a lie, A little. Just enough for a step-flex, but they don't like it. I've worn them for exactly 12 minutes, and I am a size 13, but it's quite obvious these were mad for heel-walkers :) They aren't bad for (and yes I'm making this term up now) CONVERSATIONAL WALKING, but it's like anything; they are inconvenient until you accept how to use them.
Exactly like my brother.

You know the "someone else's scalp" thing makes so much sense now! I have been looking at that over and over trying to figure out if he just cut around his face for no reason or what. But yea I think you are right. Like maybe he scalped another clown.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back