Iron Man: Bleeding Edge w/3d files

I have a 3d printer but the problem is that many of the faces of the OBJ file don't have any depth causing the 3d printing software to freak out and print the items oddly. SO I need someone who knows how to add depth to a 3d object so it can be printable.

I think Blender can add some thickness to it like some of it that I have done before.

Sort of. Couldn't get one of the side head pieces to Boolean to the rest of the helmet.

You're using Blender, right? This is almost always a normals problem. Be sure the two parts have their normals facing "outside". And depending on the complexity of the 2 parts, you may have to switch which part is getting booleaned into the other one. So for example, instead of adding the ear pucks to the helmet, add the helmet to the ear puck.

- - - Updated - - -

I think Blender can add some thickness to it like some of it that I have done before.

Blender's ability to add a "shell" leaves a lot to be desired. I did it for my Ultron helmet 3D print but I had to clean up a lot of stuff manually. 3D Studio Max does this the easiest, but it's not free. I think either netfabb or MeshLab does it a lot better as well - but again, not in the free versions.

You're using Blender, right? This is almost always a normals problem. Be sure the two parts have their normals facing "outside". And depending on the complexity of the 2 parts, you may have to switch which part is getting booleaned into the other one. So for example, instead of adding the ear pucks to the helmet, add the helmet to the ear puck.

Yup, tried switching the part getting booleaned. The right side would properly Boolean, but the left side would not. Best I can tell, the helmet is not completely symmetrical, so I can't just attach the right side and then mirror it on the left. : /

Did you try different boolean methods too? When I have this problem I get it to work using Intersection instead of Addition (I think, I don't have Blender open in front of me to check what it's called).

This suit looks fantastic. Can't wait to see how it turns out for your build. Would love to build this for myself after you have released the files :thumbsup

Good luck!

Ghost Minion sent over some parts he has worked on thus far. I was able to scale up the faceplate to the proper size (I hope so, I used other faceplate measurements as a generic basis of comparison) I was then able to slice the plate in half to fit on my 3d printer. This is what I have thus far.
1.png 2.png

I'm still having issues with the rest of the helmet but It's coming along. I really need a PC with tons of ram because my laptop lags at times when I work on some of this.

Also, for those who are working with me on this know, the files have many intersecting parts. The upper body is no different. The good news is that I figured out a way to separate the parts and have them ready for the next step of making them pepakura friendly! As I break them down, I'll post them on my first post of this thread.

Ghost Minion sent over some parts he has worked on thus far. I was able to scale up the faceplate to the proper size (I hope so, I used other faceplate measurements as a generic basis of comparison) I was then able to slice the plate in half to fit on my 3d printer. This is what I have thus far.
View attachment 397625 View attachment 397626

I'm still having issues with the rest of the helmet but It's coming along. I really need a PC with tons of ram because my laptop lags at times when I work on some of this.

Also, for those who are working with me on this know, the files have many intersecting parts. The upper body is no different. The good news is that I figured out a way to separate the parts and have them ready for the next step of making them pepakura friendly! As I break them down, I'll post them on my first post of this thread.

Can't wait to see how that print comes out :thumbsup

What is an approximate measurements of a 6' tall guy? I will try to scale it. I just split the chest and collar obj file to 5 to 6 3d printable parts and now trying to figure out the scales for the file. Any ideas??

Just got this image of the lower half progress. His English isn't the best but I tried to explain the issues we all been running into
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414870535.395842.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Haven't had a chance to be home. I'll check as soon as I can. If anyone else can check sooner than me, please go for it! [emoji4]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back