John Carter of Mars Sequel/Reboot

Disney Loses John Carter Movie Rights; New Films Planned
Yep it was called only John Carter, but hopefully this time they will actually go with the full title. Still not sure if it will be a full reboot or indirect sequel.

Disney Somehow Loses The Rights To Public Domain JOHN CARTER Books | Badass Digest
And little more background about the John Carter trademarks.

FULL REBOOT!!

THIS, I COMMAND!!!

GI_JOE-2.jpg

I loved the first one and i hope they do a sequel

Fully agreed. I couldn't understand why this did so badly at the box office and it got torn to shreds by the critics. I found it great fun and very entertaining and Lynn Collins as the Princess as one of the most beautiful women I've ever seen. And then Disney announced they had got the SW franchise and I went Ah -HA!!!!!

I would love to see a far more faithful version made than the Disney version, it wasn't necessarily a bad movie but it wasn't a very memorable one either.

Fully agreed. I couldn't understand why this did so badly at the box office and it got torn to shreds by the critics. I found it great fun and very entertaining and Lynn Collins as the Princess as one of the most beautiful women I've ever seen. And then Disney announced they had got the SW franchise and I went Ah -HA!!!!!

The biggest problem, in my opinion, is two-fold:

1) Disney decided to "Disney-fy" it a bit too much. The Green Men were a little too human-like in their appearance and should have been a bit more alien-like, but the most egregious example was Woola. Woola was supposed to be this dog-like creature that was utterly frightening with a massive mouth filled with razor sharp teeth. They turned Woola into a giant puppy that was more reminiscent of Stitch from Lilo & Stitch. He just didn't strike me as scary-looking as he should have been.

2) The critics shredded it because it dared to follow something that went against established scientific fact, namely that Mars is utterly lifeless. They basically ignored the fact that the Barsoom series was written LONG before man was capable of seeing Mars as anything other than a light in the night sky.

I don't think putting aliens on Mars caused a lot of critic damage.

Critics may not know the ERB books specifically. But people were generally aware that the movie was a remake of stuff dating back generations ago, before Mars was explored.

I think what caused critic damage was that the movie looked too much like what it was - a quarter-billion-dollar Disney-ified take on source material that called out for something a bit darker. Without somebody familiar (Robert Downey Jr, Johnny Depp, etc) to force them to give it a chance, the critics just had too much excuse to crap on it for everything they don't like about huge Disney summer blockbusters in general.

The He-Man look of the hero's outfit probably did not help the critical response either.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back