2001: A Space Odyssey Screenings

Saw it in Imax and was blown away, as I knew it would be. So much details so many things filling your frame of vision. Incredible experience. It's as close as I'll ever come to seeing it as it was intended.

When I realized I'd never see it again in that manner -- I saw it AGAIN a few days later in Imax before the run ended.

One thing it did bring home is how ill mannered and ADD rattled most people are in movies. There are long stretches of silence. Dead silence. It requires you to WATCH not talk. I could hear adults whispering, asking and commenting. I rarely notice this in most movies these days since everything is filled with explosions or Zimmer-esque wallpaper music and you aren't required to really WATCH the screen and pay attention. Sorry, rant over.

I was fortunate enough to see the 25th Anniversary release at the Century 21 theater up in Denver on their gigantic 70mm curved screen (we saw Empire Strikes Back there opening week). As rough as the print was at the time that's still one of the best cinematic presentations I've ever seen along with the anniversary re-issues of Lawrence of Arabia and Spartacus.

I didn't know it was playing locally until the last day so I was really excited to have the chance to see the 50th Anniversary. A mesmerizing experience and wonderful to see it complete with the overture, intermission, and exit music. Can't wait for the 4K Blu-ray.

It seems that Chris Noeland did a fantastic job of restoring that iconic movie...I haven't seen any news for a showing in Canada:cry

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back