2001: A Space Odyssey Screenings

Re: 2001: A Space Odyssey - Back in UK Cinemas

I wonder if this is because "Interstellar" will have been released a week or so before? Wow, thirty five years since I've seen this on the big screen.

Re: 2001: A Space Odyssey - Back in UK Cinemas

The BFI takes a giant leap into Sci-Fi Days of Fear and Wonder |BFI
It's good timing, but it's not necessarily cause of Interstellar. It's part of BFI's three month celebration of sci-fi movies and TV programs. I have updated this thread title to reflect that.

More info in the above page. Here is an excerpt:

"The BFI unveils Sci-Fi: Days of Fear and Wonder, a three-month celebration of film and television’s original blockbuster genre.

Sci-Fi: Days of Fear and Wonder will include over 1,000 screenings of classic films and television programmes at over 200 locations across the UK, from outdoor events at iconic British sites to screenings in multiplexes, local cinemas and community venues, in one of the largest and most ambitious sci-fi seasons ever created."

Sci-Fi Days of Fear and Wonder (Trailer) _ BFI - YouTube

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: 2001: A Space Odyssey and other Sci-Fi movies Back in UK Cinemas

All you Brothers and sisters across the pond NEED TO GO!!!! :lol

C'mon, bring this event to Canada. We're part of the commonwealth too!

It's funny seeing all the movies in that montage trailer, but sad knowing they are all older movies. Hollywood doesn't make good sci-fi anymore.

Just to add to this thread, a couple of things of interest.

Firstly I don't know if everyone can get to the BBC i player or if you can catch it on a BBC channel abroad but this four part series , Tomorrows Worlds is really excellent!!! Part two "Invasion" was on last night, but part one "Outer Space" is a superb look at sci fi 's most brilliant influences and there is a lot here for all members of the RPF. Its probably the best series I've seen about sci fi ideas and their development over the decades ,especially the last thirty five years so far and its very up to date!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/search?q=Tomorrow's Worlds: The Unearthly History of Science Fiction

And for 2001 fans Radio 4's "The Film show" also had a half hour special on 2001 and there were some really interesting details in it .Again its on I player.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04pvdhk

And for Doctor Who and Douglas Adams Fans I found this was quite interesting.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00rp3dw

Last edited:

It really is astounding mate and even has some space station building stuff you you.:)

50th Anniversary Screenings for 2001: A Space Odyssey Announced

" Celebrating the 50th anniversary of Stanley Kubrick’s 2001: A Space Odyssey, Warner Bros. Pictures will debut an ‘unrestored’ 70mm print of the director’s groundbreaking science fiction epic at the 71st annual Cannes Film Festival. Widely considered among the greatest films of the 20th century, 2001: A Space Odyssey will return to select U.S. theatres in 70mm beginning May 18, 2018.

Set for Saturday, May 12, the world premiere will be held during the Cannes Classics section of the Festival, featuring an introduction by award-winning filmmaker Christopher Nolan. The screening will also be attended by members of Stanley Kubrick’s family, including his daughter, Katharina Kubrick, and longstanding producing partner and brother-in-law, Jan Harlan.

For the first time since the original release, this 70mm print was struck from new printing elements made from the original camera negative. This is a true photochemical film recreation. There are no digital tricks, remastered effects, or revisionist edits.

A longtime admirer of the late American auteur, Nolan worked closely with the team at Warner Bros. Pictures throughout the mastering process.

Christiane Kubrick said, “I’m delighted that ‘2001: A Space Odyssey’ will be reissued in 70mm, and that Cannes has chosen to honour it. If Stanley were alive today, we know he would be in admiration of the films of Christopher Nolan. And so, on behalf of Stanley’s family, I would personally like to thank Christopher for supporting his film.”

Nolan stated, “One of my earliest memories of cinema is seeing Stanley Kubrick’s ‘2001: A Space Odyssey,’ in 70mm, at the Leicester Square Theatre in London with my father. The opportunity to be involved in recreating that experience for a new generation, and of introducing our new unrestored 70mm print of Kubrick’s masterpiece in all its analogue glory at the Cannes Film Festival is an honour and a privilege.”

Nolan will also participate in a Cannes Masterclass, set for Sunday, May 13, during which he will discuss his highly acclaimed filmography and also share his passion for the singular work of Stanley Kubrick.

For this milestone anniversary, Warner Bros. will continue the celebration later this year when Warner Bros. Home Entertainment releases 2001: A Space Odyssey for the first time in 4K resolution with HDR. Also produced in close collaboration with Nolan, the home entertainment release will be available in the fall of 2018.

With 2001: A Space Odyssey, director Stanley Kubrick redefined the limits of filmmaking and cemented his legacy as one of the most revolutionary and influential film directors of all time. Originally released in 70mm Cinerama roadshow format on April 4, 1968, the film ignited the imaginations of critics and audiences alike and its impact continues to resonate to this day."

2001_70mm_1sht.jpg

Watch the doc. Mr. Webber posted for starters

Love him or hate him, Kubrick changed so many things with his Art and was a Cinematic Geniuis

I don't agree with this at all. Kubrick was a self-hyped, overrated hack. If you feel different, so be it, but don't try to convince me that he "changed so many things with his "art" and was a "cinematic genius". :lol

I guess Spielberg, Lucas, Cameron, you know People who actually make movies don”t know what they are talking about. :facepalm

It’s clear by your reply that you have no understanding or grasp about how films are made or their History :lol

I don't agree with this at all. Kubrick was a self-hyped, overrated hack. If you feel different, so be it, but don't try to convince me that he "changed so many things with his "art" and was a "cinematic genius". :lol

I guess Spielberg, Lucas, Cameron, you know People who actually make movies don”t know what they are talking about. : rolleyes

It’s clear by your reply that you have no understanding or grasp about how films are made or their History :lol

It even more clear that you are so stubborn that it hurts you waddle feel-bads when someone doesn't agree with you. Sorry, pal. I think he sucks...and I'm not alone. I like 2001, I don't love it. I don't think he's the worst director, that honor goes to Lucas :lol

I know Mando thanks for further illustrating my point, but hey don’t let facts get in the way, just keep posting knee jerk ignorant drivel, instead of trying to learn something.

The way it changed films has been well documented by any one who actually makes them.

It even more clear that you are so stubborn that it hurts you waddle feel-bads when someone doesn't agree with you. Sorry, pal. I think he sucks...and I'm not alone. I like 2001, I don't love it. I don't think he's the worst director, that honor goes to Lucas :lol

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back