2001: A Space Odyssey Screenings

What it changed was that people learned some movies are better on LSD.:lol

This movie makes absolutely perfect sense when you are tripping.

Many stories and legends abound about 2001 (the LSD story be one of them)...as for the way the movie changed the way some things were made before and how it influenced the ones that were made after that is well documented (Lucas is a fan and it lead his philosophy about the look of StarWars).
As a visualist first, Kubrick comes from a reporter/photographer background and he tried to convey the story with the images first, then the scenario second. One might not like that type of cinema, but there's a lot of Directors, nowadays, that use that kind of approach (Chris Nolan for one or James Cameron) to tell the story.
I only wish that they'll have a Canadian showing of that unrestored 70 mm print:confused

The movie is special to me, as it was the first movie I saw a movie theater, and the first soundtrack I ever bought in 1975, when I was a teen.

I remember getting the soundtrack from the old Columbia House Records. I had of course heard of The Blue Danube, but at that time I had no idea that the theme was called Also Sprach Zarathustra. I didn't actually see the movie until about 1977 and to me that was just Elvis' theme. Having no internet at the time I had to go to the library to get some information on it. Hard to believe it was written in 1896. Was it ever in any other movie or tv show before 2001?

The only other thing I remember about the soundtrack was the "song" when the astronauts discover the monolith on the moon--EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!! Wasn't it called astral choir or something like that? I recall playing that in my bedroom and my Dad burst in "Son, what in the world is that noise?! I thought the world was ending!!".... Being in a very religious household they thought the Rapture was happening or something.:lol

Last edited:
The score in that scene is by: Ligeti and the title is Lux Aeterna(Light Eternal). No news on any showing either in Canada, nor Australia

Those are intelligently made! A must see for fans or first viewers:cool IMG_20171119_173606470_HDR.jpg

Got a msg from Jan Harlan about the screening at Cannes: " the whole event was great and the sound was fantastic also". A few copies will be shown in N.Y. and L.A. No dates for Canada/Australia yet.

Saw this in London a few weeks ago - it was a 20 year old 70mm print (I'd actually seen the same print 5 years before but not on an IMAX screen)
Even though it only takes up a strip on the IMAX screen it is still wonderful - only thing is, is that the70mm frame can't be cropped on th eIMAX projector, so you get a blurry edge around the projected image. Still...it's FILM!!!

So I watched the Nolan cleaned-up version of the 70mm print in IMAX here in NYC. It looks wonderful. The only drawback was that the edges of the image were distorted slightly as the IMAX screen is flat and not curved. Thus the Image was projected to about roughly 1:85:1 or slightly wider instead of the intended 2.21:1. I'm guessing that if you view the print on a curved screen, you'll get the right aspect ratio and no distortion on the edges. In addition, I can report that one can easily discern the beautiful film grain, which will probably be cleaned up for a high def transfer.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back