Definitive ANH Falcon Interior

very impressive 3d work (i've done a little). what are your plans for these 3d meshes? animation or something? They will look wonderful if you can texture them.

very impressive 3d work (i've done a little). what are your plans for these 3d meshes? animation or something? They will look wonderful if you can texture them.

I've decided to hold off on texturing until the model is complete, and then yes, some kind of animation. I've made some virtual tours of the falcon's interior https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsFAZG2CkQI but none have satisfied me.

After I made the training remote, I've been thinking I should make an animation of the remote coming to life and flying around the interior. Just at least to lend the tiniest bit of narrative to an otherwise pretty boring fly-through (unless you're really really obsessed with the details)

on another note, trying to tackle some of the torn out padding and exposed pipes. The super organic shapes of the ripped up insulation is giving me a headache.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• insulation1.jpg
    insulation1.jpg
    198.7 KB · Views: 5,115
  • insulation2.jpg
    insulation2.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 5,268
  • insulation3.jpg
    insulation3.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 5,360
yeah, I'm very close with the crash couch area. The last bits are mainly bundles of wires, which I'm not sure how I want to approach, and other details that are in deep shadows (which taunt my dreams)

texturing is going to look great, but the leg-work is going to be endless...

NOW I GET it...Stinson, it´s YOU :)

Still can´t get over how accurate, detailed, INSANE these models are!!!!!

p.s: I lOVE the muzzle for my IG88 rifle, thanks again ;)

Markus

this is one of these moments I live for.

A tiny detail discovered, that makes virtually zero difference in the final outcome, but which lets me get into the heads of the original set designers and builders.

The three main panels on the crash-couch have always been a bit of a mystery to me. If they followed the shape of the crash-couch's frame, they would be curved panels on a roughly 50° incline. Not exactly the easiest shape to glue things to, such as backlight square buttons or rocker-switch molds (let alone the classic white piping, am I right Sofaking?)

so here's what I discovered. Each of the three panels is made up of two completely flat panels, set into the curved framework of the crash-couch.

example.png

how did I discover this?

when I was preparing to replicate the panel layouts, my first step was to project them onto a flat surface. I had expected the top edge of each panel to be a curved shape, but instead each one had a seemingly strange chevron shaped top edge.

eample2.png

and, since I know geometry in three dimensions so well (humble pause), I immediately understood that only a pair of planes, with curved top edges, which intersected the broader curvature of the couch frame, could explain what I was seeing.

so I built it, rendered it, and lo and behold, you absolutely cannot tell that anything I described is going on!

crash couch.jpg

again, this is why this is a moment I live for. It's basically something only me, you, and the original builders know, but also something that means completely jack. No joke guys, this is what the RPF is all about, in my opinion. I love it!

Attachments

• example.png
    example.png
    548.5 KB · Views: 338
Last edited:
growing up, my dad would always have these moments where some small thing he thought he knew was turned upside down. He was really good-natured about it. He'd pause, and then grin and say "no ****!". that's exactly was this little nugget was for me. (though I'll say it was preceeded by me saying "wait, what in the mother @#$!?)

I don't know what it is that you just said back there trying to explain stuff and such... but those panels look awesome! ;) Fantastic work as always my friend!

I love this site,
people all over the world know the falcon, but we can't help but looking at things for the details,
I do love the moments when you realize how they did it all way back when.................. and it makes me feel that I can do it.
Craft your fandom :)

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back