Walking Dead Rick Grimes Season 4

ZotoSpidey

Hi Everyone! for halloween this year i decided on trying my hand at a season 4 Rick Grimes Costume. Time and financial constraints will keep me from being 100% accurate to the show but i will do my best! its already been harder than expected! I hope at some point to get fully accurate gear though!

Heres what i have so far for the costume :

-H&M denim western shirt in light blue (i plan on RIT dying it tan and giving it a post apocalyptic makeover-which btw any tips on how to get the shirt looking sweaty, worn, and lived in would be GREATLY appreaciated)
-UHC silver 6inch python revolver airsoft gun
-machete prop
-black levis (i had a pair already)
-Brown boots (like i said , due to time and financial limits i cant buy a badass set of cowboy boots)
- *STILL NEED* i feel like this and the shirt is really the heart of what sells the costume, a vintage style police belt (flat black leather or basketweave-even though ricks is basketweave) with a right side drop holster and cuff case. I live in NYC and this is nearly impossible to find, again, tips on affordable places to look would be greatly appreciated.

as far as the look physically, i kinda have a similar look like rick similar hair type and have not shaved in a month or cut my hair in 2 months for that longer slicked back gruff look. I will post pics of my finds when i can!

Last edited:
I decided last Friday that I was going to go as Rick from season 3-ish for Halloween myself, so I'm currently in the same boat as you -- scrambling to get everything done in time! I've pretty much gotten everything minus the pants so far. The most expensive thing is by far the belt rig. Mine is about just about all TV accurate, save for the swivel style holster. Those are SUPER expensive and hard to come by. Be sure to purchase a belt two to four inches bigger than your waistline as it has to rest over your pants' belt.

This close to the day, ebay and amazon prime (do a free trial!) are your best friends.

As far as weathering the shirt, I plan on taking a box cutter to it lightly to fray/make little tears here and there and black and brown spray paint misted from a few feet away to give the shirt a well, worn lived, in look. Then do some selective blood spalttering. Perhaps hit the pits and collar a little closer with the spray paint to make sweat/dirt stains?

Good luck. Look forward to seein' some pics!

I decided last Friday that I was going to go as Rick from season 3-ish for Halloween myself, so I'm currently in the same boat as you -- scrambling to get everything done in time! I've pretty much gotten everything minus the pants so far. The most expensive thing is by far the belt rig. Mine is about just about all TV accurate, save for the swivel style holster. Those are SUPER expensive and hard to come by. Be sure to purchase a belt two to four inches bigger than your waistline as it has to rest over your pants' belt.

This close to the day, ebay and amazon prime (do a free trial!) are your best friends.

As far as weathering the shirt, I plan on taking a box cutter to it lightly to fray/make little tears here and there and black and brown spray paint misted from a few feet away to give the shirt a well, worn lived, in look. Then do some selective blood spalttering. Perhaps hit the pits and collar a little closer with the spray paint to make sweat/dirt stains?

Good luck. Look forward to seein' some pics!

Yea, finding the most accurate supplies for this has been a hunt. and a not so cheap one at that. slim boot cut black jeans are the best bet but any dark blue jeans will do just fine. the shirt and dye set me back about $40(plus the time i spent working on it) the gun $30, the offcial TWD rick grimes machete cost me $13 (cheapest accessory by far, but helps sell it better i think) the belt is a 34 (im 30-31) i found for $40 on ebay (arrives friday, fingers crossed!!!) the holster i got INCREDIBLY lucky and found basically a vintage used basketweave edition for a 6 inch revolver for $45 on ebay as well. i also didnt cut my hair for 2 months and havent shaved in 1. still need dirt works makeup for my skin for the lived in filth look and to bloody it up and sweat stain it using a darker brown dye. i'll post some pics shortly. this is a hard build but if you get the right parts its a total bullseye.

Last edited:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414650182.428401.jpg this is the light blue h&m after dying - used whole bottle of tan RIT in large container with about 3-4 gallons of water
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414650301.485546.jpg my accessories so far (basketweave belt arrives Friday, hopefully)

Thanks for looking everyone! Any tips on the weathering using brown RIT from a spray bottle are welcome, as well as good methods for blood splatter patterns.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414650396.666541.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414650396.666541.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 591
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414650441.295659.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414650441.295659.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 637
Last edited:
Does anyone have any stories of being given a hard time for having the replica python revolver?? I may just use it for photos and such but leave it home as far as going to the bars is concerned. i live in NYC and fear it may cause a problem if i run into some officers who dont exactly appreciate an accurate replica TWD Rick Grimes costume.

Last edited:
costume looks really good. Any finished pics with the whole outfit. I would love the official rick grimes machete. Can you let me know where u got it from? I'm in Australia. Cant get much over here.

Yea, finding the most accurate supplies for this has been a hunt. and a not so cheap one at that. slim boot cut black jeans are the best bet but any dark blue jeans will do just fine. the shirt and dye set me back about $40(plus the time i spent working on it) the gun $30, the offcial TWD rick grimes machete cost me $13 (cheapest accessory by far, but helps sell it better i think) the belt is a 34 (im 30-31) i found for $40 on ebay (arrives friday, fingers crossed!!!) the holster i got INCREDIBLY lucky and found basically a vintage used basketweave edition for a 6 inch revolver for $45 on ebay as well. i also didnt cut my hair for 2 months and havent shaved in 1. still need dirt works makeup for my skin for the lived in filth look and to bloody it up and sweat stain it using a darker brown dye. i'll post some pics shortly. this is a hard build but if you get the right parts its a total bullseye.

costume looks really good. Any finished pics with the whole outfit. I would love the official rick grimes machete. Can you let me know where u got it from? I'm in Australia. Cant get much over here.

Thanks! I'll be posting some finished pics tn. The rick grimes machete I got at a spirit Halloween store, so they might have it at their website, that's your best bet. Or google 'rick grimes machete' and see what you find!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415584363.382082.jpg the finished shirt after weathering
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415584373.518774.jpg all the gear I have so far, belt was $40-ebay, was was $35, and the holster I luckily found for $45. lastly the machete was a sweet $12 (going to get the cuff case and speed loader cases eventually- for comicon or whatnot)
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415584536.078131.jpg what I used for the dirt effect on the clothes and my skin, worked WONDERS. Goes for about 22 bucks. Te blood was mehron film squirt blood
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415584679.941391.jpg had a friend do rule 63 Daryl
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415584717.189009.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415584745.359755.jpg the other two costumes were thrown together last minute by me for my friends
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415584957.837670.jpg I found tryrese!!

For the jeans it was just a black pair of jeans I had, William rast was the brand and the boots I couldn't find (or afford) so I used my dark brown timberland earthkeepers. Which worked just fine. All in all I'm really really happy with this costume as plan on getting more use out of it.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415584650.192026.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415584650.192026.jpg
    331.5 KB · Views: 427
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415584788.565865.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415584788.565865.jpg
    244 KB · Views: 389
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415584805.250439.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415584805.250439.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 358
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415584836.424629.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1415584836.424629.jpg
    278.9 KB · Views: 269
Last edited:
Your build is really awesome man!
We are celebrating karnival in germany next month and me and a buddy are going as daryl and rick. so far i got a problem with the shirt. could you explan in detail how you dyed it? did you have to bleech it before?

Your build is really awesome man!
We are celebrating karnival in germany next month and me and a buddy are going as daryl and rick. so far i got a problem with the shirt. could you explan in detail how you dyed it? did you have to bleech it before?

Hi! The shirt started off as a very light blue denim western shirt from h&m. The shirt was practically white at first that's how light a blue it was. I got tan color RIT dye and followed instructions. Large bin filled with 3 1/2 gallons of HOT water, mix in full bottle of dye, stir, then fully submerge shirt. I left my shirt in for about 6 hours to really let the color set in bc the denim didn't seem to be taking the dye. After I put it in a rinse cycle and dried it and that's how it came out. The dirt/damage was done with dirtworks spray dirt dark brün color applied carefully. Best of luck on your rick costume, hope this helps!!

Today I finally completed my Rick Grimes belt. Just got the keepers, cuff case and speed loader case this week! Can't wait to wear it finally complete at NYCC!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442890723.681932.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442890723.681932.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 845
As many of you know a good costume is never complete, and I've been slowly adding to my Rick as time goes by. New additions are the harbor freight machete ($10) with red handle that I modified to be con safe (remove blade- replace with cardboard-reinforce with wire-duct tape it- paint accordingly), the jacket (ran me about $200, but I love it and wear it regularly), and now, a pair of boots that can pass for ricks ($5 thrift store find)
b882706abf3896ae783428e8612853c9.jpg

b961d562611db1e85ce3045c49354fd9.jpg
de7ee09f65c0734e4a05330dc3810a64.jpg

87716f3e1da0c37eeffd5e862b843f32.jpg

1d5f30d97f9708c20c97f4bea64b6ff3.jpg

cc6fdfebb32a35859dceccd346c2a06f.jpg

I plan on adding an airsoft AK47 to everything to complete the look.
Let me know what you guys think!

Last edited:
As many of you know a good costume is never complete, and I've been slowly adding to my Rick as time goes by. New additions are the harbor freight machete ($10) with red handle that I modified to be con safe (remove blade- replace with cardboard-reinforce with wire-duct tape it- paint accordingly), the jacket (ran me about $200, but I love it and wear it regularly), and now, a pair of boots that can pass for ricks ($5 thrift store find)
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/16/01/02/87716f3e1da0c37eeffd5e862b843f32.jpg

The jacket is a pretty decent replica, is it the White Sheep one from Ebay? Are the sides a nylon stretch fabric?

The only things that could be improved upon are the zippers and the lining, which is nowhere near the original (the original has a quilted plaid lining)

The sides have a different fabric, yes. Of all the jackets I looked at it was the best IMO. I'm happy with it, and wear it as a regular day to day jacket also. I don't mind the interior lining not matching since people can't see it.

The sides have a different fabric, yes. Of all the jackets I looked at it was the best IMO. I'm happy with it, and wear it as a regular day to day jacket also. I don't mind the interior lining not matching since people can't see it.

Cool, it seems close enough!
I do own the original one but you'd need to alter it quite a bit to have it look like on the show, it does have additional pockets and a much larger collar. So in any case you're probably closer to the screen used one if you just buy the replica! :)

Cool! You should post some pics of your jacket, I'm sure a few people would love to see the actual original jacket they used on the show(myself included). [emoji16][emoji1360]

Cool, it seems close enough!
I do own the original one but you'd need to alter it quite a bit to have it look like on the show, it does have additional pockets and a much larger collar. So in any case you're probably closer to the screen used one if you just buy the replica! :)

Cool! You should post some pics of your jacket, I'm sure a few people would love to see the actual original jacket they used on the show(myself included). [emoji16][emoji1360]

I'm curious as well!

Where did you get the jacket I love it!!!

- - - Updated - - -

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/16/01/02/b882706abf3896ae783428e8612853c9.jpg
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/16/01/02/b961d562611db1e85ce3045c49354fd9.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/16/01/02/de7ee09f65c0734e4a05330dc3810a64.jpg
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/16/01/02/87716f3e1da0c37eeffd5e862b843f32.jpg
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/16/01/02/1d5f30d97f9708c20c97f4bea64b6ff3.jpg
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/16/01/02/cc6fdfebb32a35859dceccd346c2a06f.jpg

Where did you get the jacket I love it!!

This thread is kinda dead but wanted to share that i still keep my belt updated with current seasons. Plan on doing Rick one last tine for comic con ny this year. Added carls nknife (a crkt ultima) and his axe with newly aqquired pouch ( the husky brand one is impossible to find, this is nite ize and i plan to paint it blue to match) just waiting on his new tan western shirt from season 9
173c64d049ecfe889a0a194572895265.jpg

This thread is kinda dead but wanted to share that i still keep my belt updated with current seasons. Plan on doing Rick one last tine for comic con ny this year. Added carls nknife (a crkt ultima) and his axe with newly aqquired pouch ( the husky brand one is impossible to find, this is nite ize and i plan to paint it blue to match) just waiting on his new tan western shirt from season 9 https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180803/173c64d049ecfe889a0a194572895265.jpg

Shirt is a goodfellow & co long sleeve shirt. They can be bought at Target for 30$ For the hatchet pouch, nite ize also makes one that is in blue which is a great alt.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back