ICONS vs Master Replicas lightsabers

121Gigabytes

As the title suggests, can those of you who know these things like the back of your hand, can you give me the differences, pros & cons of each piece? Also, what is a fair price for each on eBAY ? The saber I am interested in is the ANH luke version.

The ICONS has the wrong number of grips, the wrong D-Ring, and the shape of the emitter is off, if I recall. I'd pay $200 for one just as a piece of prop history (if I was in the market), but not much more. Honestly, I'd just buy a real Graflex if I was you.

Buy a Graflex, get some grips and bubbles (replica or from an exactra calculator), and have one that just feels real. There's something about an authentic Graflex that instantly connects you to those movies.

You have to remember the Icons came out in the mid 90's. After they were made, the prop boards came into existence and a lot of new findings came out as a result. There is about an 8-10 year gap between different makes of the same saber.

Oh, I'm not disparaging the ICONS per se. It's what got me into prop collecting. But if I had to choose, the ICONS would be last on my list. Heck, a Parks replica would be a far better choice imo. (I wouldn't pay MR prices either, nice as they are.)

Icons also had a lot of packaging issues. Therefore a lot of the acrylic covers were cracked at the corners and base. Also, the grips on the luke and vader sabers are made with a plastic that can easy chip or break if knocked around. I had to send my luke back because it was delivered that way. My vader saber had the damaged cover. They sent out a replacement and that too arrived damaged.

ICONS was the first of the prop companies to make sabers. Although they list 10,000, they made much less than that for the Luke, Obi, and Vader sabers. However, ICONS sabers are known to have poor construction, breaking apart quite easily and are often inaccurate.

In comparison, Master Replica sabers are all quite good from a consumer perspective. The sabers are all in pretty good quality and the cases to hold the sabers are quite nice as well as the acrylic cases. There are some inaccuracies such as the ANH Obi having the wrong emitter and other small intricacies but the Luke V2 saber is great. Lucas himself has a Master Replicas version of the Obi Wan ANH weathered saber which is a work of art (although incredibly hard to find) as a testament to their quality. From a prop collector perspective, they are inaccurate and possibly overrated but from a collector perspective or someone who is a fan of the movies and just wants something for display, Master Replicas are quite good. Also note that Master Replicas made two versions of the Luke ANH saber, a regular one and a Elite version that is made with higher quality materials. I heard its not really worth it to spring for the Elite version for the ANH saber (the ROTJ on the other hand is considered one of the three treasures of MR in addition to the Obi ANH and the falcon).

However, if you want the most accurate saber, you can't go wrong with a graflex. There is a distinct history and feel you gain when you have a prop made from original parts that just cant be replicated by a MR or Icons saber and by researching the prop yourself, you learn all about the nitpicks, flaws and intricacies that just help you appreciate the prop so much more. Finding the parts is half the fun and the dents and natural weathering give your saber a look of authenticity that just cant be replicated or reproduced in a sense. If you need help building, the experts in the RPF can and will help. Resale value, an MR or Icons will probably sell for more but a real parts just cant be beat. Its art that really is something you appreciate as a fan of both the movies and the prop.

There are some inaccuracies such as the ANH Obi having the wrong emitter and other small intricacy...

This is due to the fact that the production of this prop was made before certain discoveries. Also, since there was a few different versions on screen, details differ from what you may want. I just sold my MR Obi A New Hope saber. I sold it to fund a Roman's Empire version which has better materials and is more accurate. For what the MR sold for, I could have bought 4+ of Roman's.

If you can get a real graflex, go for it. They still show up at decent costs. One of the reason they haven't skyrocketed is because saber makers like Larbel and Parks made really nice replicas of the flash unit. They share the same level of detail without the cost. The only reason to get a real one is for the boast of... "this is a real one". so you can weigh that into your choices.

IMHO, is your plan is to use the hilt for costuming, do not get an MR. Ultimately the hilt will show wear and in turn decrease the value. I find that important not because I use props for investment but because I rely on them to be able to resell if a better version shows up or another prop replica more interesting is offered.

However, if you want the most accurate saber, you can't go wrong with a graflex. There is a distinct history and feel you gain when you have a prop made from original parts that just cant be replicated by a MR or Icons saber and by researching the prop yourself, you learn all about the nitpicks, flaws and intricacies that just help you appreciate the prop so much more. Finding the parts is half the fun and the dents and natural weathering give your saber a look of authenticity that just cant be replicated or reproduced in a sense. If you need help building, the experts in the RPF can and will help. Resale value, an MR or Icons will probably sell for more but a real parts just cant be beat. Its art that really is something you appreciate as a fan of both the movies and the prop.

Word. Or Amen:thumbsup That's the point.

Here's a quick "to get"-list by myself:
-Get some high-res screen-shots
-Get 7 rubber T-grips
-Get a calculator bubble strip or a replica
-Get the D-ring
-Aaand...get a graflex, too.
If you have everything, we'll move on:)

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back