Comlink and Holocom builds from Star Wars Resistance and Rebels

E Williams

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Edit: New Resistance Comlink and Holocom in post 24 and printable files in 25: Comlink and Holocom builds from Star Wars Resistance and Rebels
Updated model in post #23! Comlink from Star Wars Rebels

Here's a quick little 3d printable prop -- the 'new' comlink from Star Wars Rebels:

15463083141_d230fec37e_z.jpg

It's kind of funny how it's got a similar profile to the ANH version, but with the business end reversed.

Draft print:

Printable in 3 parts for easier painting and finishing:

The idea is to use a sink aerator mesh for the microphone screen. That, or a piece of printer raft would work in a pinch since that has an interesting mesh texture.

I haven't finished one yet so it's still a work in progress, but here's the Thingiverse link. :)

Last edited:
Re: Commlink from Star Wars Rebels

Thanks! Once the sizing and details are finished I'll see if I can figure out how to put it on Shapeways too :)

Anyone have thoughts on the details? To my eye the grip section seems a bit short but since everything was scaled from the same image there's no reason why it should be. It might be an optical illusion due to the color.

Are you going to list the parts separately on shapeways so that different pieces can be done in different colors/materials?

Yeah, that is the plan. I'm not sure but I think parts have to be done separately anyway. Or that is the most cost effective way, at least, rather than putting them all in one file, as individually they will take up less printer volume.

Updated parts:

Here's a rough build up:

The screen on the mic is a piece of mesh from a frying pan screen. Worked perfectly!

The Thingiverse link has the newest version of the files: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:491072
I'm messing with Shapeways right now to see if I can figure out how to get the parts up there if anyone wants to print them that way.

Thanks! Hmm, that seems doable :)

I found a picture here: http://www.themandalorianarsenal.com/images/rebels/SabinePaintGun.jpg
It looks like it's accurate to the one on the show but I can't find the source... got any other pics?

BTW I did put the commlink parts on shapeways and ordered a set... but before I post any links I am waiting for them to arrive to make sure they turned out ok. Parts ran about $30ish from them.

I'd love one of those for real,

What would the five colours be?
1 black
2 white
3 grey (ok now i can paint stormtrooper helmets all day long)
4 ? silver
5 ? blue

love the comlink btw :)

Here are some picts from the newly real eased episode. I thought they might help with scale. Reminds me of the size and shape of the ear thermometer we used on our kids.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

What material did you order from Shapeways?

Last edited:

I'd love one of those for real,

What would the five colours be?
1 black
2 white
3 grey (ok now i can paint stormtrooper helmets all day long)
4 ? silver
5 ? blue

love the comlink btw :)

I would think they would be like a CD changer... Remember those? You can put any color in there. Maybe you can use more than one button in conjunction to have acess to more colors. Activate 1 for red, activate 2 yellow, activate 1&2 for orange.

On the commlink? Yeah it's pretty much a tube.

I'm sketching out the paint sprayer now :)

Blaster is cool... Will be a challenge but I think I'll give it a shot too. Nice and tiny (and fits on my printer bed without breaking into too many pieces, lol)

Loving the speed of these 3D printed builds, they open up so much. :)

which printer do you have? would you get a different one if you could?

My printer is an Afinia H-series (rebranded Up! Plus), but it's the first version without automatic bed leveling. So if I were to buy one now I'd go with the newer version at least, in that product family. It's been very reliable and consistent with its prints, and keeps calibration for a long time so there's been a minimum of fiddling. Build volume isn't tiny but it isn't huge either (about 5.5" cubed). The software is robust and nearly foolproof.

Mine does ABS printing very well which from what I understand some companies like Makerbot are moving away from supporting, unfortunately. I haven't really kept up with what's out there right now though, so I can't make a recommendation for the current market. But I've been pleased with mine over the past 20 months :)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back