Giger Alien sculpt from Alien (1979) PIC HEAVY

nick daring

Master Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I have been in a Alien kinda mood lately and was wondering what cool pics you guys might have of the final or "in progress" suit sculpt. Giger's design is just phenomical and is just an amazing example of what happens when you hire the right artist for the right job and let him do his thing. I wish more "fine" artists would get used in movie production work. I'm tired of seeing the same design mentality put into all the creature designs for the last 10 or so years. All the artists that want to design for movies were all influenced by the same stuff and it shows.

One quick question- I found these pics of two different casts of an Alien hand that claim from an original. Any body know the history of these fan acquired hand castings? Are they easily attainable currently?

Alienhand.gif

alien%20giger%20alien%20hand%20display2.jpg

Also, here are a handful of cool Alien suit pic that I currently have on my harddrive. Please feel free to post anything you may have in your collections.

I believe these are from a Japanese exhibit from the 80's-

japshow.jpg

0010gj9.jpg

0018fz7.jpg

0008fu6.jpg

Random pics

alienstuff.jpg

a01.jpg

alien-feet2.jpg

alien-feet3.jpg

alien-feet4.jpg

alien-feet5.jpg

alien-feet6.jpg

alienpipe.jpg

head_1.jpg

head_2.jpg

head_3.jpg

head_4.jpg

head_5.jpg

head_6.jpg

head_7.jpg

head_8.jpg

sdsdome.jpg

sdstransalien.jpg

aliengigerhead_589lo.jpg

Nick

Nick this is my all time favorite creature, next to the Gillman..lol
I can tell you that the situation has changed w monstermaking,no longer do the artists have the same free reign that they once did, now you have multiple producers along w the director asking for changes and design elements that just plain suck. .......but theyre the ones paying so things change on creature designs that had great potential when the project first started.

Trust me Im no happier about it than anyone else, I have to do changes to things that I know are just "wrong" , but thats what Im paid to do :(

It might get better sometime but I wouldnt bet on it.

Sometimes...just sometimes, something cool sneaks through :)

Russ

I have some HR Giger books at home. I'll have a look tonight.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(vaderdarth @ Mar 21 2007, 06:42 AM) [snapback]1444671[/snapback]</div>
excellent stuff.. thanks for sharing

Dave :)
[/b]

The last two b/w pics were the two I posted from Andrew Ainsworths "Archive". SDS did quite a bit of work on the movie on VM'ing for sets but the Prototype Alien in those pics wasnt used in the movie

Cheers

Jez

From what I understand, pictures 3, 4, 5 & 6 are of the display that is in either Gigers castle (yes, the man lives in a castle), or in the Giger Bar in Switzerland, and I believe it's a copy of the Alien costume that he acquired during his work on the film.

The book authored by Giger called simply, "Alien", has many fantastic photos of the production of the Alien costume.

Its fun to read the Ridley Scott interviews where he talks about that exact problem.

He didn't want it to look like a "guy in a rubber suit" but animatronics at the time wouldn't provide what was wanted either. It took the combination of Giger brain and the discovery of the 7 ft. Masai non-actor to bring this dream.. er nightmare to reality. Ron Cobb's early design are benign and standard to what actually came to fruition.

Creature design is a tough nut to crack. You want it humanoid enough for the audience to relate to it and understand the body and facial cues but different enough from the human form to feel alien and encourage the suspencsion of disbelief so that you get away from the "man in a suit" quality.

Hurrah for Ridley Scott.

Nick

I was trying to dig out my Cinefex #1, but it looked like someone beat me to it...this is my second favorite movie. I can only wish that Ridley finally tries to do another sci-fi film.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back