Twin Peaks returning to TV

Goonie

Sr Member
twin-peaks_zpsd37ef7ff.jpg

Twin Peaks is apparently returning to Showtime in a 9 episode series.
http://www.nerdist.com/2014/10/twin-peaks-to-return-as-9-episode-showtime-series-in-2016/

This was probably one of the most messed-up but intriguing shows ever on TV. I'm in for some more Twin Peaks.

As crazy as it sounds, when it comes to Laura Palmer, I wouldn't be surprised if her tragedy has become a ghost story in the town of Twin Peaks circa 2016, it almost completely forgotten. However, due to almost being completely forgotten, that leaves the door open for BOB to come back to town to stalk someone to take over in the same way he wanted to take Laura.

Just an opinion, of course.

As crazy as it sounds, when it comes to Laura Palmer, I wouldn't be surprised if her tragedy has become a ghost story in the town of Twin Peaks circa 2016, it almost completely forgotten. However, due to almost being completely forgotten, that leaves the door open for BOB to come back to town to stalk someone to take over in the same way he wanted to take Laura.

Just an opinion, of course.

BOB won't be back because Frank Silva died years ago.

That's actually somethign I've been thinking about. Several of the actors on the show are dead or extremely aged.

The dead include:

- Major Garland Briggs (Don S. Davis)
- Pete Martell (Jack Nance)
- Andrew Packard (Dan O'Herlihey)
- Killer BOB (Frank Silva)
- Senor Droolcup the waiter (Hank Worden) -- which means that we probably won't see Carel Struycken (the giant)

Now, some of this could be worked around. Pete and Andrew arguably died in the explosion at the Twin Peaks Savings & Loan bank in the last episode. Major Briggs could've just died of natural causes, having never really explained Project Blue Book.

But without BOB...it's gonna be tricky as hell getting Cooper back from the Black Lodge, unless they can find a way to explain why (A) BOB changed "faces", or (B) Cooper somehow destroyed him and reclaimed his body.

Also, the shooting locations are REALLY different now. The exterior of the Mar-T diner (Twede's Cafe) still looks the same, but the whole area around where they shot has become way more developed. That's not necessarily a bad thing, of course, but it changes the character of the town, and therefore possibly the show.

Looks like Lynch will be directing all of these too. The dude has all the power he needs to turn out an extremely twisted season. I can't wait for this!

I'm guessing 9 episodes isn't enough space to bring back Agent Bryson.

Last edited by a moderator:
BOB won't be back because Frank Silva died years ago.

You forget: at the end of Season 2, BOB took possession of Dale Cooper. So, maybe when it comes to BOB, they could explain that after a long period of time, BOB takes on the likeness of the person he possesses, thus he would look like Dale Cooper, but still sporting his signature demon jacket, jeans, hairdo and five o'clock shadow.

You forget: at the end of Season 2, BOB took possession of Dale Cooper. So, maybe when it comes to BOB, they could explain that after a long period of time, BOB takes on the likeness of the person he possesses, thus he would look like Dale Cooper, but still sporting his signature demon jacket, jeans, hairdo and five o'clock shadow.

Oh, believe me, I didn't forget that. "How's Annie? HOW'S ANNIE?!" What a depressing end...

Still, whenever BOB took possession of someone, there'd still be moments when his spirit-form (a.k.a. Frank Silva) would be visible. Like, when Laura's mother sees him at the foot of Laura's bed, or when Cooper goes to the Black Lodge, etc. BOB remains pretty much the same in all of that. So, I think they're gonna have to address why BOB -- if seen in spiritual form -- doesn't look like BOB. Or, for that matter, why anyone else in the Black Lodge (e.g. Wyndom Earle, Leland Palmer, Carolyn Earle, Laura Palmer, MIKE, The Arm/Dwarf/Little Man From Another Place) looks 25 years older.

I suppose you're right that BOB as a concept will appear, but BOB won't look like BOB did. Hmm. Maybe they'll explain it by suggesting that Cooper has been engaged in a 25-year battle for control of himself, and that the battle has naturally changed him and BOB in his spirit form. So, like, BOB possessed Cooper, but he was also almost a prisoner of Cooper maybe.

Oh, believe me, I didn't forget that. "How's Annie? HOW'S ANNIE?!" What a depressing end...

Still, whenever BOB took possession of someone, there'd still be moments when his spirit-form (a.k.a. Frank Silva) would be visible. Like, when Laura's mother sees him at the foot of Laura's bed, or when Cooper goes to the Black Lodge, etc. BOB remains pretty much the same in all of that. So, I think they're gonna have to address why BOB -- if seen in spiritual form -- doesn't look like BOB. Or, for that matter, why anyone else in the Black Lodge (e.g. Wyndom Earle, Leland Palmer, Carolyn Earle, Laura Palmer, MIKE, The Arm/Dwarf/Little Man From Another Place) looks 25 years older.

I suppose you're right that BOB as a concept will appear, but BOB won't look like BOB did. Hmm. Maybe they'll explain it by suggesting that Cooper has been engaged in a 25-year battle for control of himself, and that the battle has naturally changed him and BOB in his spirit form. So, like, BOB possessed Cooper, but he was also almost a prisoner of Cooper maybe.

Exactly. One thing came to my mind when you mentioned the beings being older in the Black Lodge. Your comment made me remember that Dale had a dream about being an old man in the Black Lodge. Granted, Dale is human, but that scene could be considered a foreshadow of Dale's spirit being trapped in the Black Lodge. As for the others, they could start with the original actors and then have them replaced with new ones, explaining that they change their appearance on a certain date every century (maybe tying the beings to gods/goddesses in mythology of past civilizations).

As for the locations not looking the same, that's okay. It's been 20+ years. No town is the same as it was 20+ years ago. Maybe the Double R Cafe was bought out by Winkies (since Mulholland Drive takes place in the same universe as the show, along with Lost Highway). Since the mill was blown up, the town ended up drying up a bit, with several of the businesses closing their doors as a result. Maybe the wooded areas that used to exist no longer exist due to the trees being milled somewhere else (this is something I've seen in my hometown in the past five years). There's a good chance the sheriff's office and high school has been relocated to different buildings.

It's safe to say that some of the people who used to live in town may no longer be there, either having passed away or moving away (I imagine Laura's mother moved from the town a few years after the death of her daughter and husband, not able to take the notoriety from Laura and Leland's deaths).

So, the locations not being the same won't be an issue (unless they're planning on having it set the day after the Season 2 finale, which they would end up having to recreate the exteriors somewhere else, in addition to recasting all the actors, which is the least-likely scenario to me).

Exactly. One thing came to my mind when you mentioned the beings being older in the Black Lodge. Your comment made me remember that Dale had a dream about being an old man in the Black Lodge. Granted, Dale is human, but that scene could be considered a foreshadow of Dale's spirit being trapped in the Black Lodge. As for the others, they could start with the original actors and then have them replaced with new ones, explaining that they change their appearance on a certain date every century (maybe tying the beings to gods/goddesses in mythology of past civilizations).

Neat idea! I like that, actually. It'd be a shame to lose some of the old characters, though. I could see them saying the spirits age and change over time, or find new vessels and so take on some of their characteristics. And they can always just rely on the fact that time moves at a different speed in the Black Lodge.

Oh, and there's also MIKE and Mike, his human vessel. They're identical, so maybe a spirit can take on the appearance of its living host if it chooses to.

As for the locations not looking the same, that's okay. It's been 20+ years. No town is the same as it was 20+ years ago. Maybe the Double R Cafe was bought out by Winkies (since Mulholland Drive takes place in the same universe as the show, along with Lost Highway). Since the mill was blown up, the town ended up drying up a bit, with several of the businesses closing their doors as a result. Maybe the wooded areas that used to exist no longer exist due to the trees being milled somewhere else (this is something I've seen in my hometown in the past five years). There's a good chance the sheriff's office and high school has been relocated to different buildings.
Well, in real life, the mill thing might not be AS big of a problem. One of the smokestacks shown in the opening credits burned down shortly after the show premiered. The town itself is still definitely a small town. Some of the locations (e.g. Big Ed's Gas Farm) are gone, but others remain (e.g. the "Great Northern" and Snoqualmie Falls, The RR (a.k.a. Twede's Cafe), etc. They used sets for interiors on a bunch of those. And I guess they can just say "Well, duh, the town changed over time." The sheriff's office building still exists, or at least it did around six years ago. Dunno about the school.

It's safe to say that some of the people who used to live in town may no longer be there, either having passed away or moving away (I imagine Laura's mother moved from the town a few years after the death of her daughter and husband, not able to take the notoriety from Laura and Leland's deaths).

So, the locations not being the same won't be an issue (unless they're planning on having it set the day after the Season 2 finale, which they would end up having to recreate the exteriors somewhere else, in addition to recasting all the actors, which is the least-likely scenario to me).

I think it's assumed that this will be 25 years later, so the locations being different aren't necessarily a problem, but something they'll have to consider, and which will affect the "feel" of the show somewhat. Put simply, we will not be revisiting Twin Peaks c. 1990. I'd say the trickiest thing for them to navigate will be the BOB/Frank Silva thing. Not insurmountable, but they have to figure it out.

Neat idea! I like that, actually. It'd be a shame to lose some of the old characters, though. I could see them saying the spirits age and change over time, or find new vessels and so take on some of their characteristics. And they can always just rely on the fact that time moves at a different speed in the Black Lodge.

True. Dale was in the Black Lodge for, what, two days in real world? It seemed like only minutes passed by inside.

Oh, and there's also MIKE and Mike, his human vessel. They're identical, so maybe a spirit can take on the appearance of its living host if it chooses to.

That's true. as well.

Well, in real life, the mill thing might not be AS big of a problem. One of the smokestacks shown in the opening credits burned down shortly after the show premiered. The town itself is still definitely a small town. Some of the locations (e.g. Big Ed's Gas Farm) are gone, but others remain (e.g. the "Great Northern" and Snoqualmie Falls, The RR (a.k.a. Twede's Cafe), etc. They used sets for interiors on a bunch of those. And I guess they can just say "Well, duh, the town changed over time." The sheriff's office building still exists, or at least it did around six years ago. Dunno about the school.

Well, when it comes to small towns in general, some places stay the same while others are long gone. Looking at my hometown of Madison is a great example. In 1997, the Pic'N'Save closed down and the building remained empty for eight years before it was torn down and a CVS Pharmacy put in its place. When it came to our town, we were known for the Dixie Packers (the meat processing plant where all the Winn-Dixie brand packaged meats was done). When that closed down, a lot of the residents that were there for worked eventually moved away and moved on from it (which is where I got the idea of the workers who used to work at the mill leaving Twin Peaks because of the Mill closing down). The high school in my town has moved twice within the 50+ years its been open, but has remained where it is now for over 30+ years. And our hospital has recently relocated to a new building. I'm not saying the same kind of changes would occur with the town of Twin Peaks, but it's plausible that a few things in town are still the same, while others have changed (hence the reason why I suggested the Double R Cafe being replaced with a Winkies, because these days, you're more than likely to encounter at least one franchise restaurant in a town like Twin Peaks).

I think it's assumed that this will be 25 years later, so the locations being different aren't necessarily a problem, but something they'll have to consider, and which will affect the "feel" of the show somewhat. Put simply, we will not be revisiting Twin Peaks c. 1990. I'd say the trickiest thing for them to navigate will be the BOB/Frank Silva thing. Not insurmountable, but they have to figure it out.

Well, like I said, BOB had control of Dale at the end of the second season. So, there's a good chance that Kyle could take on the BOB persona. But as you've pointed out before with BOB being seen in the mirrors, I don't know how Mr. Lynch feels about visual effects, but maybe they could cut out Frank Silva's likeness from pre-existing footage, and have a scene where BOB's likeness is updated to a new form (like how I suggested with the other occupants of the Black Lodge), but keeping the long hair, the five o'clock shadow and his outfit be the same. Or, maybe, make the spirit of Laura Palmer be the new BOB, and she attempts to take over someone like how BOB had planned with her, due to being unable to stand being in the Black Lodge any longer (yes, we know she was happy at the end of Fire Walk With Me, but that happy feeling may have been short lived after the events in the film).

The possibilities of how the show can be for Season 3 are quite open.

I was wondering if Ray Wise would play Spirit Bob in reflections/visions, as a way around Silva being deceased?

I can certainly see that working out well. Wise is a quite the talent and very watchable. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Lynch viewed him as a valuable asset for moving the story forward.

Or at least not with Lynch. Mark Frost might still be involved, though.

I've read other reports that state that Lynch would still be involved with the project, but only as a writer and executive producer instead of as a director as well.

I'd be ok with that. He didn't direct the vast bulk of episodes of the original series.

I vote for Michael Almereyda as director of at least one episode (especially the first episode). He was the writer/director of the David Lynch produced Nadja, in which Lynch also briefly appeared in. That film was almost as Lynchian to the point you'd think it was written and directed by Lynch himself. Almereyda also directed a modern adaptation of Hamlet that starred Ethan Hawke, which I thought was pretty good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back