Comic Style Captain America for 2015 Emerald City Comic Con (2nd build)

Peek73

HEY THERE FELLOW RPF FAMILY,

Peek73 here! I am starting my thread a bit early, but hey why not. I am doing a comic style Captain America costume for the Emerald City Comic Con in March of 2015. I had a toss up between:
DC_Comic__s_Green_Lantern_by_skywarp_2_png.jpg, captain_america_by_urban_barbarian-d3jymky.jpgshazamlarge55.jpg
After asking all my friends and family which one they thought I would have the best luck at pulling off via face book, Cap won by a landslide. Now they all wanted me to do the movie version, but I have to stay true to my comic book roots. Now why would you want to subscribe to this build? I'll tell you why....
Captain america print.png
because I am going to use Orhadar's digital file as my suit! I have sent it off to Fabric On Demand and man am I excited. I have asked Trophy Wife to do the sewing for me as well. I have some pretty good ideas on the rest of the suit, but my hope is that I will end up with something like this:
Captain-America-marvel-comics-4515636-1024-768.jpg
Now I'll never be as big as Cap, but I think I can pull this one off. I'll try to post weekly, if not more often as I get things completed. I can't just pay for everything at once, as we all know when you have to work to pay the bills and take care of the family. So with that being said this is why I have to start this build early enough to get it completed on time. Everything I need as far as info I have gotten here on the RPF. Things like the shield that I will be making from a Flexible Flyer, the boots and gloves from leather, and the wings on my mask from magnets and foam. Stay tuned, I will do my best to make it as informative as I can.

Well I got the proof e-mail today, and I approved it. So it looks like two weeks before will have it in my hands. I can't wait! I have gotten a few things for my shield, but now looking at the suit proof I will have to take the paint back and get colors that match it a bit better.
comic shield.jpg Comic Book Shield

movie shield.pngMovie Shield.
This is a huge issue for me. I want to stay true to the Comics, but I love the look of the movie shield. This is where I will probably put a bit of both in my shield. Red, white, and blue is a must, but I am thinking of using the star in the center like the movie shield. It will still be white, but maybe a bit of a metal flake clear coat before it is attached? Waiting on supplies to come in the mail to get more of this thing rolling is killin me...

Peek73,

I'm new to this whole hobby. When I found Orhadar's print and I agree that it looks amazing! I just recently bought the same file and sent the resized to FoD cannot wait to receive the fabric to get started.

I'm glad i found your thread and maybe i can refer/collaborate with you since we seem to be working on the same thing relatively at the same time. For now, I have a question for you that's been picking at my mind. As far as the spidey costumes, the holes can be covered by the lenses. What are your thoughts in regards to cutting chin hole & eye holes and what to do with the edges? fold over and sew

Tomie

I am actually sending my print to Trophy Wife to sew for me. I'm not sure how she's going to do it yet. I assume that is how she will do it. I have been looking on different threads for ideas, when I come across one I like ill send you the link. have you been working on anything?mshield, boots, etc?

Peek73,

I'm new to this whole hobby. When I found Orhadar's print and I agree that it looks amazing! I just recently bought the same file and sent the resized to FoD cannot wait to receive the fabric to get started.

I'm glad i found your thread and maybe i can refer/collaborate with you since we seem to be working on the same thing relatively at the same time. For now, I have a question for you that's been picking at my mind. As far as the spidey costumes, the holes can be covered by the lenses. What are your thoughts in regards to cutting chin hole & eye holes and what to do with the edges? fold over and sew

Tomie

cap mask.jpg
So this is the look that I am going for with my mask. I'm not sure who this guy is, so if he's on here I hope you don't mind me using your pic. It looks to me as if he has a face shell of some kind under his mask, possibly attached? I have found a file and I am attempting to make it, I'll let you know how it turns out.

I started off working on a spun aluminum shield, the star and brackets from valor. As for the costume, the original idea was to do TFA over a long period of time. But since Halloween is around the corner, I decided to put the TFA on hold for hopefully a quick costume for the holiday. I just finished my shield literally an hour from posting this (at about 1230am PST). Its my first ever DIY. So for my very first project, I learned a lot and had a bunch of fun. If you have the $ to spend and have an idea of what you're doing, I’d suggest going the spun aluminum route.

Though I read great things about Trophy Wife, I want to attempt to try to get this Comic cap done quick for Halloween and given the time frame, I don’t think I’d be able to get it to her and back in time for the holiday. So I may try to find a local seamstress and hope it can be done in time.

If TrophyWife does the cuts for you. can you post pics so i can have an idea of how it looks?

i was eyeing these boots
http://www.halloweencostumes.com/acc-boot-covers-captain-america.html?PCID=19
and these gloves
http://www.halloweencostumes.com/adult-superhero-gloves.html

maybe ordering and doing some personal altering for better fit.

I am actually sending my print to Trophy Wife to sew for me. I'm not sure how she's going to do it yet. I assume that is how she will do it. I have been looking on different threads for ideas, when I come across one I like ill send you the link. have you been working on anything?mshield, boots, etc?

Yea I can post when I get the suit back from her. I am still waiting on it from FOD, so I don't think it will be before Halloween. I found these boots that I like a lot, but I am making my own out of leather. I am using an older pair of Justin Ropers that I am modifying and dying the same color as my suit, gloves, and shield.

http://cosplaysky.com/captain-ameri...jimfiOfj-Q8zslm8n5c3JRetUfd9yWEOU2xoC-wzw_wcB

I do like the gloves you found, they look cool. I would love to see your shield! Did you start a thread, I'll check it out. Nice to have someone to throw ideas at. I am working on the brackets for my shield as I type.

I started off working on a spun aluminum shield, the star and brackets from valor. As for the costume, the original idea was to do TFA over a long period of time. But since Halloween is around the corner, I decided to put the TFA on hold for hopefully a quick costume for the holiday. I just finished my shield literally an hour from posting this (at about 1230am PST). Its my first ever DIY. So for my very first project, I learned a lot and had a bunch of fun. If you have the $ to spend and have an idea of what you're doing, I’d suggest going the spun aluminum route.

Though I read great things about Trophy Wife, I want to attempt to try to get this Comic cap done quick for Halloween and given the time frame, I don’t think I’d be able to get it to her and back in time for the holiday. So I may try to find a local seamstress and hope it can be done in time.

If TrophyWife does the cuts for you. can you post pics so i can have an idea of how it looks?

i was eyeing these boots
http://www.halloweencostumes.com/acc-boot-covers-captain-america.html?PCID=19
and these gloves
http://www.halloweencostumes.com/adult-superhero-gloves.html

maybe ordering and doing some personal altering for better fit.

Great find on the boots. Im not sure if i want to spend that much just yet. for not i'll put that in the maybe pile and still consider the other boot covers for alteration as well. It's nice to have someone to bounce ideas with for the same project.

I've been considering doing a post but as i've been working on the shield, but i only work on it from time to time... but since I'm done i may just post an all in one + comic book Cap. I'll surely link you the post after i get it started. maybe tonight. For now, here's a sneak peak
IMG_4609.jpg

Yea I can post when I get the suit back from her. I am still waiting on it from FOD, so I don't think it will be before Halloween. I found these boots that I like a lot, but I am making my own out of leather. I am using an older pair of Justin Ropers that I am modifying and dying the same color as my suit, gloves, and shield.

I do like the gloves you found, they look cool. I would love to see your shield! Did you start a thread, I'll check it out. Nice to have someone to throw ideas at. I am working on the brackets for my shield as I type.

I was thinking about how to to do a mask underneath and this idea popped into my head, let me know what you think. These images are just samples. I think looking for more suitable masks, alterations to the eyes can be alternatives also.

Maybe take a half-masks (similar to one below) underneath, roll the fabric underneath and clue to the back of the mask?

masquerade-plastic-blank-half-mask-white-2.jpg
Or using the same method with a full face blank mask, cutting bottom half below so that way you'd still have forhead.

00128306.zoom.a.jpgdownload.jpeg

So this is the look that I am going for with my mask. I'm not sure who this guy is, so if he's on here I hope you don't mind me using your pic. It looks to me as if he has a face shell of some kind under his mask, possibly attached? I have found a file and I am attempting to make it, I'll let you know how it turns out.

Ok ok first of all Awesome Shield Man! I'm hoping mine looks that cool. I have decided on the comic shield though, I'm still putting a spun look to it though.
As far as the masks go, that's an awesome idea, the 1/2 mask and trim it. Maybe build up the brow a bit with something. Great ideas! Thanks man.

Great find on the boots. Im not sure if i want to spend that much just yet. for not i'll put that in the maybe pile and still consider the other boot covers for alteration as well. It's nice to have someone to bounce ideas with for the same project.

I've been considering doing a post but as i've been working on the shield, but i only work on it from time to time... but since I'm done i may just post an all in one + comic book Cap. I'll surely link you the post after i get it started. maybe tonight. For now, here's a sneak peak
View attachment 388564

I was thinking about how to to do a mask underneath and this idea popped into my head, let me know what you think. These images are just samples. I think looking for more suitable masks, alterations to the eyes can be alternatives also.

Maybe take a half-masks (similar to one below) underneath, roll the fabric underneath and clue to the back of the mask?

View attachment 388633
Or using the same method with a full face blank mask, cutting bottom half below so that way you'd still have forhead.

View attachment 388644View attachment 388645

Both the comic and movie shield would look great in either case. i just happen to have already started making the movie one. Have you decided on which process are you going to go with for the shield? Buy or make? if make, are you going to do a metal or plastic? IMHO, I love my spun aluminum shield, but if its out of budget i would suggest the snow sled process.

Right now I'm working on some school stuff, but hopefully i can start my own thread within the next couple days if not tonight. Maybe some of the material will help you along the way.

Ok ok first of all Awesome Shield Man! I'm hoping mine looks that cool. I have decided on the comic shield though, I'm still putting a spun look to it though.
As far as the masks go, that's an awesome idea, the 1/2 mask and trim it. Maybe build up the brow a bit with something. Great ideas! Thanks man.

I'm doing the snow sled method with all the brackets on the back to make it as close and accurate as I can. I've never worked with metal so this is a challenge. I'm having fun with it although I've cut the crud out of my hand doing it. I'll do a new post in a couple of days when I get the brackets finished.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SO I just found out who is going to be at the Emerald City Comic Con this year...

542c729978bb9_00.jpg
http://emeraldcitycomicon.com/celebrity-guests/

That's right, THE MAN HIMSELF " Stan Lee!! I'm finally going to get to meet the man! HOLY CRAP I'm GEEKIN OUT!! Now I really have to make this suit look awesome. Going to have to hit up cha0tic for that Spidey suit too. Come on overtime!!

Last edited:
71esx684o2L__SL1500_.jpg
Well believe it or not but by trimming this down and placing it under my mask as a face shield I will get the desired effect I am looking for. I think I'm going to do a test fit with some scrap fabric first before I muck up my real suit.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413407312.090747.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1413407326.922339.jpg
Lookie what just came in the mail today from F.O.D. Holy crap super excited!!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413445185.300154.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1413445195.448924.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1413445204.883467.jpg
And the shield work begins. Slow and steady cutting this baby out. The worst part is just stripping the paint off. Auhhh!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back