The Moment - Doctor Who

After years of impatiently wanting to build one of my own, I finally have access to a laser cutter. Any tips you can offer on getting the gallafreyian to wrap around the edges? Thanks in advance.

After years of impatiently wanting to build one of my own, I finally have access to a laser cutter. Any tips you can offer on getting the gallafreyian to wrap around the edges? Thanks in advance.

I'd thought of two ways. Engraving the pattern on one sheet the cut into strips then making into the edging parts. Or putting all the blocks together engraving the image on one side then turn the blocks move one to the end and move them up and engrave again. Hope that makes sense? It's mean bing very accurate tho. If only they made a laser that will move round a item to engrave it lol.

Going to start work on mine soon hopefully. I went backwards and did the top first.
image.jpg

There actually are rotary attachments for laser cutters, but the right way is to get your wood planed to the right square rod dimensions, cut it to the right lengths, and engrave each side of each bar with a quarter of your art for that bar. I did mine last month and it came out great. Should have the moment itself done in the next couple weeks or so.

Would love to see how your two Moments turn out. I am working on my files now.

After zooming in close on this one, looks like UK Cave Man was on the right track with engraving panels and attaching each side. I may try cutting a jig first and see if I can burn right in to the edge peices, but at least their are options.

Good luck guys.

This is an inspiring replica. So much so that I made my own 'Moment' inspired pen box for a pen set. I started with some plans from CGTrader (which I think might be from the person who has done this replica). I have always disliked the cheap latches that seem to be th eonly ones available for small boxes, so i was very happy when I realised that the mechanism on top of the box was actually a latch. I decided to make it in metal so it would function and be robust enough for long term use. Here's that part:

P1150060_lock.JPG

I then decided that a full 30cm cube wasn't the correct size or shape for a pen box and scaled the plans to 4/5 and chopped the cube into a half cube. This box also has no structural glue, the only sticky stuff is the adhesive on the back of the crushed velvet lining and the feet on the bottom. So you can take the box apart and re-assemble it if needed. Which I did quite a lot while building it.

I'm going to do a detailed write-up on my blog, and I have some videos about it and its construction here:

Andrew

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back