The Moment - Doctor Who

00failure

Hello all!
After finishing my Sonic box I decided to draw up the plans for 'The Moment' from the 50th Anniversary Special.
It was a pretty drawn out process with lots of planning on the computer and research but once I had the parts, it only took a few days to throw together.

1.jpg
Of course it all had to start out with the basic box frame work.

2.jpg
Then It was just a case a laser cutting/etching all of the parts ready for assembly!

3.jpg
I always regret not taking more pictures while i'm putting things together, but it's so easy to just get carried away!
Currently I'm still waiting to 3D print the corner brackets.
But each panel is pretty much done, just a few minor things to do here and there.
I know all of the beams surrounding the box are supposed to be CNC'd, however I unfortunately don't have access to one.

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg
Of course, I had to make the screens light up!

10.jpg

Thanks for looking! I'll be sure to post a little update when I've got the brackets finished!

Holy poo that's amazing. Fantastic. Brilliant. Cool. Been waiting since Day of the Doctor to see one of these completed. All the kudos to you.

Would you be willing to post more detailed pictures of the Gallifreyan with your next update? It was really hard to make out in the special.

I love Doctor Who and the 50th anniversary special is one of my top favorite episodes of New Who. Congrats on making such an amazing prop!
I would so love to have one of these in my collection . . . nudge, nudge, wink, wink ;)

While I am not a fan of Dr Who (I have on occasion tried to watch it) I really like your build, would love for you to gift it to me ;) it has a really great steampunk feel to it

Thanks for such a positive response! It's not even finished yet haha!
A lot of people already asking about me making more, but this really was a huge undertaking and I'd be afraid to even offer a cost!
With regards to all the Gallifreyan, there's some excellent pictures on the 50th anniversary thread on RPF here somewhere, you can just about piece it all together.
I'm pretty surprised nobody's made one yet, someone on here started to soon after the episode but I don't know how far they got.

Okay I will say that normally I don't like the idea of laser cut stuff just for presentation, but this is a reason that I may just come over to the darkside.

Amazing work. Any chance you might be able to share, trade, or sell the files you used for laser cutting?

Thank you very much! you're not the first person to ask this, I need to have a think. Even if I was to set aside the numerous legal reasons why I shouldn't :p It still took me a couple of months to map everything out/research and draw it up, so I would need to think about the cost. Regardless, i'm flattered by the interest!

Okay I will say that normally I don't like the idea of laser cut stuff just for presentation, but this is a reason that I may just come over to the darkside.
Yes! Our Tutors are quite against it too! They call it the 'Lazy cutter' :lol But thank you for such high praise!

I think you may have just stolen this from the BBC themselves! I'm onto you! :lol I kid of course, but this is seriously up with the professional standards of the production team IMO

Fantastic good for you... top notch. My laser has been begging me to find the time to do this too

Awesome job. No big red button? How are you going to blow up Gallifrey without the big red button?

Not just yet, it could appear soon ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Finally got around to 3D printing the corner bracket! It came out beautifully :love
Just doing a silicone block mould and then casting them all in intrinsically coloured fast cast before spraying.

10721472_10204478873719343_1760032561_n.jpg

Absolutely incredible!!! I don't think laser cutting is lazy... it's another tool. You think people making props for television and movies look at a prop and say "I could laser cut this and make my deadline, but that's cheating." They use whatever technology and tools are available to realize a prop in a timely and cost effective manner.

The prop is really excellent. It looks like it was a lot of work, but well worth it!!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back