Iron Man mkIII 3D Printed

kenlandrum

Sr Member
Well, I'm finally ready to share some photos and techniques while I proceed on my latest endeavor...
My full scale Iron Man mkIII Armor

I intend to run through the process of:
-Smoothing and assembling 3d printed parts
-Skeletal fabrication for display (this will be a scale display not intended to be worn)

My final goal is to end up with something like this.
IM-14109R.jpgalmdl.jpg
------------------------------------------------------------------

helmet.jpghelmet_size.jpg
So to start things off here is the raw helmet print. Unlike a wearable costume I am not concerned with having to distort parts to make them fit. With this display build I am keeping to the movie scale.

parts.jpg
The upper half printed.
legRaw.jpg
Right leg printed.

boot-upperLeg.jpgboot 1.jpgboot 2.jpghipPod.jpg
A boot, hip pod and upper leg shields.

unibeam.jpg
Unibeam. Casting this part in clear.

What is not shown is being smoothed at the moment.

Last edited:
what printer are you using? curious about your build volume.
Sorry, I'm not really sure what brand they are being printed on. I basically prepare the models for print and have them printed. I wish I could share the ins and outs of the actual print process, but I can't. I HAVE learned what works and what does not when it comes to modeling and preparing the files (size, thickness etc)

The real interesting part has been the finish and assembly portion of the build. I think I'll be able to share quite a few little tips that might help others in the future.

Hi there ken this is an interesting project.
About the helmet with measurement.That size fit to what head size?
Gud luck to this more power to you bro.

Hi there ken this is an interesting project.
About the helmet with measurement.That size fit to what head size?
Gud luck to this more power to you bro.

THANKS!
I have no idea regarding size.
Those measurements are taken from the 3d model used in the movie. Note that most of the wearable suits you see around have a larger helmet in order to fit on a human head. That is why most suits look to be "off" somehow. To actually fit into the cg suit you would have a really small head and/or a helmet made of something non-rigid.

This is looking awesome Ken!

Little funny tidbit on the size of the helmet -

In the extras on the 3 disc version of the original Iron Man movie, Shane Mahan is talking about how when they were casting a stunt double that was the hardest thing to find, someone with a small enough head to fit the helmet. He said doubles would squeeze and squeeze trying to get it on and say "No it's fine! just give me a minute!" trying to get it on! lol!

UPDATED FIRST POST WITH MORE PIX.

Also, I shared this on my other IM thread with the free models... thought it would be better suited for this thread.

I had searched for a way to get a clean groove between the MANY little parts. After trying a few different things I came up with this technique and it has been working out great! I end up with a super clean line that I can vary in thickness by using different size rubber bands. Not all the grooves are the same on the suit. And when a part is a bit larger I push strips of screen into the bond to help strengthen things. I guess if you were going to wear these parts you could use rondo or fiberglass as long as the chemical reaction does not heat up the part too much and warp. Anyway, here is what I do.
grooveMakin.jpg

Amazing work. I am just starting out on a MKVII build exactly the same way. Though I wasn't able to send parts to print due to costs, I decided to do the tony stark thing and just build my own 3D printer first. Hopefully my parts come out as nice as yours... I'll definitely borrowing that rubber band line trick, genius.

Here are the smoothed chest parts. Because they've been printed in so many smaller parts I needed a way to be sure things were going to align with the back (which is not done yet) so I've decided to temporarily tack together the back. I used small beads of hot glue to do this. They are small enough to pick off when I need to disassemble & man do they hold tight. Also, the hot glue had no effect of the PLA.

Just thought I would share...

chest.jpg

back-01.jpgback-02.jpgback-03.jpgback-04.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back