Iron Man mkIII 3D Printed

I had acrylic laser cut for my own. Clear for the lens, black for the bezel. Beveled the edge a bit on the bezel, then painted.

IMG_20130520_124530_zps032d4ec6.jpg

Why not design and 3D print the bezel?

If you want to laser cut the clear lens, send me a PM and I might be able to do that for you!

Why not design and 3D print the bezel?

If you want to laser cut the clear lens, send me a PM and I might be able to do that for you!

True. I just thought it would be easy to find a metal ring, but maybe not.

As for the lens, thank you!! Just might take you up on it if I can't find one the right size.

Last edited:
Doing some screen caps today for reference on color, texture, etc. and I ran across this.
What.jpg

See what's missing? Well it's not in the scene immediately following... can't decide whether it came off when the hand busted through or if it was an intentional thing to help the hand read better because of the speed of the shot.

hmm...

- - - Updated - - -

Any chance that these files are available for print? Would love to print the boot

not anytime soon...

Nice find. If I had to guess, I'd say that shot uses an actual prop arm and someone forgot to attach the hand plate on it. I'll have to check the scene out again to confirm whether or not it's a real arm or a CGI version.

Doing some screen caps today for reference on color, texture, etc. and I ran across this.
View attachment 405519

See what's missing? Well it's not in the scene immediately following... can't decide whether it came off when the hand busted through or if it was an intentional thing to help the hand read better because of the speed of the shot.

not anytime soon...

Oh Wow. This is cool. No, I have nothing relavent to say. I just needed to post my awe of the process. More pics please!

How did I miss this thread?!

Fantastic build. Definitely going to have to follow this closely, Ken.

Great work, as always.

-Nick

Well, I'm finally ready to share some photos and techniques while I proceed on my latest endeavor...

View attachment 384418View attachment 384422
So to start things off here is the raw helmet print. Unlike a wearable costume I am not concerned with having to distort parts to make them fit. With this display build I am keeping to the movie scale.

What are you using to glue the parts that aren't supposed to have a seam together?

Like this:

helmet.jpg

What are you using to glue the parts that aren't supposed to have a seam together?

Like this:

View attachment 413412
Super glue.
Gotta Get them lined up just perfect and then superglue them and hold them in place until dry. I sometimes use little clamps as well. Once the superglue is good and dry I take my Dremel tool to the seam and try to lower it a little bit so when I use my spot putty it looks seamless.

hope that helps.

Super glue.
Gotta Get them lined up just perfect and then superglue them and hold them in place until dry. I sometimes use little clamps as well. Once the superglue is good and dry I take my Dremel tool to the seam and try to lower it a little bit so when I use my spot putty it looks seamless.

hope that helps.

Thanks. Would you mind sharing what brand of super glue you use? Will any kind work on PLA?

Thanks. Would you mind sharing what brand of super glue you use? Will any kind work on PLA?
41tT2ONz8UL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
I use brush-on purple Krazy Glue.
I think any type will work well on PLA though. This brand seems to be a bit thicker than std SG while not being to much like the gel.

BTW, small updates:
Chest is all together and aligned properly.
Helmet has it's new chin.
chest.jpgnew helmet.jpg
Sorry for the blurry pix, I will have better lights installed this week... gonna start diving into new territory here as soon as I tie up a few loose ends on other sections...oh yea and I have my oomoo now so I can get to making my unibeam mold.

Last edited:
Damn i really Need my 3D printer!! That looks so good mate i'm still hoping i can detail my foam warmachine ( its not looking good though)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back