NeoRutty's Prop Projects - ANH Stunt Stormtrooper Bucket - Pointers requested?

Re: Finishing my O.T. Saber Projects - First up Luke ANH

Well I DO have a nice and shiny Graflex I was going to use for an ESB... but then I figured I'd hold off and see what the next movies and the side movies have in store... may want it for something else. heh

I also have a beat up MOM ROTJ Vader saber to weather up, and one I'm hunting for parts to finish, that would be as close to new as I can get.

I'm always turn between my love of the weathered look, and my need to restore old beat up stuff.

I think it started with the Stalone movie, Lock Up, where they restored the classic mustang.... and I'm an "American Restoration" fan as well (the builds... not the fake drama)

Heh... I'm using the most pristine Graflex I have for my ESB build ;)

LOVE this thread, nice work on those bubble strips. I take it you went for the "slid under the sidebars" rather than the "pinched between" thing. Also, cheers to the mitre saw, I need to get one of those. I'll be watching!!!

Yeah I placed them the other way, but it bugged me. Even if it is correct that way (clamped between), which it very well may be, it looked wrong when I did it. I'm actually surprised that the prop guys, who so nicely fit other pieces under the clamp edges (ESB card for example), that they wouldn't just sand it down so it fit nicely. It just seems so obvious a decision to make, and only took me like 5 minutes.

So maybe I'll grab another exactra down the line, and have it aside as a switch-out option, to give my picky brain a rest...

As for those grips... I have a BUNCH of stuff to do right now, but my family whines and complains every time I use glue, chemicals or anything stinky (I don't have a sense of smell... so nothing bothers me), so I have to wait until they are out of the condo to do anything. I would just do it on the deck, but there is no light, and it's dark by the time I get home.

OH FOR A GARAGE!!!

LOVE this thread, nice work on those bubble strips. I take it you went for the "slid under the sidebars" rather than the "pinched between" thing. Also, cheers to the mitre saw, I need to get one of those. I'll be watching!!!

Great build! I'm looking forward to seeing your ESB.. I'm still waiting for a reasonably priced folmer to pop up so I can get started on mine.

Hmm is that to say the ESB was for sure a "Folmer" stamped end? Didn't look that closely into it... not even sure what mine says, heh.

Not worried about it though. I'm picky, but not that picky I guess, heh.

*I should note I JUST fell down the rabbit hole of threads on the Folmer/non Folmer Graflex's... head spinning... oh well, doesn't change anything! onward!"

ESB I THINK is 5th up... I'm going to hunt down screws pretty quick here, then get it drilled up when I'm next at my buddy's place in Seattle. I was going to use Exactra screws, but the 4 I have are two different sizes. So I figured, screw it (pun) and just find what's CLOSE and finally lock it down.

Great build! I'm looking forward to seeing your ESB.. I'm still waiting for a reasonably priced folmer to pop up so I can get started on mine.

Last edited:

As for those screws I may have a very quick and dirty solution ... since my DVD player jammed ... I popped in a VHS in my VCR ... and when the machine spit it out I checked the tape inside and whilest turning the bottom up ... I noticed some 5 black x screws are holding the plastic case together ... so you may want to check that out . . . find 2 VHS tapes around the studio and just use those screws instead, they are about the same diameter as the Exactra screws ;)

Chaim

Hmm is that to say the ESB was for sure a "Folmer" stamped end? Didn't look that closely into it... not even sure what mine says, heh.

Not worried about it though. I'm picky, but not that picky I guess, heh.

*I should note I JUST fell down the rabbit hole of threads on the Folmer/non Folmer Graflex's... head spinning... oh well, doesn't change anything! onward!"

Yeah this one certainly gives me a headache sometimes.. I'm not dead set on using a folmer but I've seen some go for a decent price so I figure I'll hold out a bit until I'm really ready to start.

V...H...S?

ha... it would actually be hard to find any around here, if not impossible, but I believe I have a box of old demo reels I never handed out on the ol' VHS tapes in storage...

Definitely may be something to check out... nice call.

As for those screws I may have a very quick and dirty solution ... since my DVD player jammed ... I popped in a VHS in my VCR ... and when the machine spit it out I checked the tape inside and whilest turning the bottom up ... I noticed some 5 black x screws are holding the plastic case together ... so you may want to check that out . . . find 2 VHS tapes around the studio and just use those screws instead, they are about the same diameter as the Exactra screws ;)

Chaim

Just ran a search and discovered the discussion you're talking about... Crap! My bottom tube is wrong! Curse you perfectionist in me! :wacko

Just ran a search and discovered the discussion you're talking about... Crap! My bottom tube is wrong! Curse you perfectionist in me! :wacko

seems to me that may just be getting a bit out of control... plus, there were more than one... I doubt they were all folmer graflex....

seems to me that may just be getting a bit out of control... plus, there were more than one... I doubt they were all folmer graflex....

True true. I don't think I'd care as much if it didn't get a close up in the Wampa cave.

My family left me in the condo by myself for a few hours, so I finally got to drag out the epoxy and stink up the place... Even doing it with the windows open they still came home to "Ugh what's that smell?!"

So nothing too exciting... just glued on the tracks with 2 part epoxy...

15349990037_ddece39d61.jpg

After the epoxy dried, and I took a look at the grips, I found that even being a hair of a millimeter off, the tracks can look like crap... I know it shouldn't matter, that the prop guys probably didn't care about a hair off, but as a guy who spent 8 years cleaning up animation, I get kinda nitpicky about these things.

So I ended up messing around with them for a good hour. I can see why the ended up screwing them down for ESB... with just a little force, I can still pop these off pretty easy.

Anyway, as an aside, I got these little rubber bands from my kid, and ran them inside the clamp grips to hold the bubbles straight. Worked perfectly.

15533306291_a4cde0cd7d.jpg

So finally the Luke ANH saber is done. Yeah it's a simple project, but it's still great to have done.

15533242051_cedfeb1b2a.jpg

14915762243_aa7ebdb029.jpg

15349923917_fb2e9c5a58.jpg

And the new FINISHED group shot...

15512239746_ffc3c9c00f.jpg

Obviously more to come...

Next up I try to save a pretty crappy Vader ROTJ MOM Saber...

Re: Finishing my O.T. Saber Projects - Luke ANH COMPLETE

The entire build thread for this Bolsey project can be found here:

http://www.therpf.com/f79/complete-...lsey-flash-build-191987/?highlight=ed209+yoda

Okay so I know the Yoda saber isn't exactly "O.T." but I made an exception for it once I found it was built on a vintage flash (well ED209's Praco original version anyway). I had built this one a while back but because it was on the mirrored Bolsey, rather than a Praco flash, the screw at the top near the shroud was wrong.

This is the Praco version with it's brass screw:

15364344908_047f456aa3.jpg

That was the one that came with the flash... so the idea was to find a similair one to match...

15547745271_382515c258_q.jpg

14930124853_266b90de2d.jpg

I tried out a few different screws to get one that matched... and while I never found one EXACT, I did finally get one that looked close enough for this flash.

15364295077_b4f5b8a1d1.jpg

The thread section was crazy wide, so I had to drill the hole near the top to accommodate, and then epoxy in place.

15547636271_d01079e26e.jpg

15364299417_e34f683b10.jpg

15364668990_e4acee2160.jpg

Does it match the original? Not really...it's obviously a little tall, but everything on this Bolsey is slightly off, so I'm okay with it... it's all slightly off in a good way. :D

I'll be a little pickier when I get around to a Praco version. I have been collecting parts, but I have yet to see an actual Praco flash turn up anywhere... and of course we still don't know where that oil pan is from.

15551267882_b5f79fdab5.jpg

Either way, my not-quite-accurate Bolsey Yoda is what I would consider COMPLETE so I can now add it to the line up!

Next I'll get back to O.T. sabers...

Last edited:
Re: Finishing my O.T. Saber Projects - Yoda Bolsey (I know... not O.T.)

Very nicely done! I just got my set of t-tracks from Gino so hopefully I'll have some completed build to show off soon as well! (That and hit you up for some finishing tips ;-))

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back