NeoRutty's Prop Projects - ANH Stunt Stormtrooper Bucket - Pointers requested?

Re: NeoRutty's Prop Projects - Pretty decent Flea Market Find!

Ah... nah I'm keeping it to finish... it will be my first attempt at "sound" and efx...

But there's a thread in the junkyard for the reveal part... and then Roman has the saber...

in all it will likely run closer to 500 USD though

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah do it!

I'll be posting progress though it's covered on other sites, just for the heck of it.

I didn't bother taking pics of what I did last night... cuz it was just more cutting and filing.

Shucks. If you need a crystal. I have one that looks about perfect. Be about 5.00 in USD.

IMG_20161020_140257350.jpg

Re: NeoRutty's Prop Projects - I SAID NO HELMETS!

And then this arrived today!

This is a little intimidating cuz I've never really modded anything... so taking this apart and mixing it with the Disney Store helmet, rebuilding and repainting will be interesting.

30457615895_92efbc12bf_c.jpg

Always worried I've paid a bunch of money to DESTROY something... But this wasn't bad. 80 bucks.

I'll post pics of my destruction as it goes.

Helmet 2/3

This is a little intimidating cuz I've never really modded anything... so taking this apart and mixing it with the Disney Store helmet, rebuilding and repainting will be interesting.

https://c8.staticflickr.com/6/5336/30457615895_92efbc12bf_c.jpg

Always worried I've paid a bunch of money to DESTROY something... But this wasn't bad. 80 bucks.

Helmet 2/3

you can do it!!

Re: NeoRutty's Prop Projects - I SAID NO HELMETS! - but now here's Kylo...

I wish I had just gone with the $60 dollar Kylo deal you sent.

I ordered, got cold feet... cancelled. Got warm feel the next day, but it had gone back up.

I waited as long as I could to order, but then finally had to buy at $80 cuz I need enough time with my garage to finish it.

Still.. if this works... I'll get the whole thing done for around $150 - and since the cheapest Kylo is $600 USD, it's not too bad.

Of course it won't be as good as Anavos... but we'll see what I can pull off.

https://c8.staticflickr.com/6/5336/30457615895_92efbc12bf_c.jpg

Helmet 2/3

I'm in the same boat. Never modded a helmet before. I received mine a couple weeks ago. Still currently sitting on my stand.... Afraid to take the leap. Please post some updates as you progress with yours. Might be the inspiration I need :lol

Re: NeoRutty's Prop Projects - I SAID NO HELMETS! - but now here's Kylo...

Okay you bucket builders out there! Couple questions about my rough cut-out!

So here you can see I've left a bit of a lip on my rough cut... before I sand down and finish, anyone know if there should be a lip at all?

I've researched and it's all over the place... but with some it could just be laziness or not knowing. I'm sure someone knows.

I MAY Want to put in bubble lenses down the line.

30454636451_ebcb9372bc_c.jpg

30425540742_80c31c85ac_c.jpg

And with the teeth... I went for a rounded corners look... and now that I see big pictures, I'm thinking they may all need to go a *bit* further down...

What say you all?

29908994963_d5d19b28fc_c.jpg

Didn't realize how choppy it all looked til I saw these pics blown up....

29908995093_cda4cdfbca_c.jpg

Anyway I want to clean up and finish tonight... though I'd see if there are experts out there...

Yeah I could go to White Armor, but MY HOME THIS IS! I will just ask here! ;)

Also, knowing how many helmets they made, and the rush, I figure these are all hacked together quickly, and I'm wasting my time being anal...

But so it goes!

Re: NeoRutty's Prop Projects -CALLING STORMIE HELMET EXPERTS! question on last post!

Should the top lip on the eyes be flush with the "brow"??

Re: NeoRutty's Prop Projects -CALLING STORMIE HELMET EXPERTS! question on last post!

Should the top lip on the eyes be flush with the "brow"??
That is a preference. Most have been a slight gap between eyes and trim. I haven't seen any builds that are directly over without a gap. I have seen some with a larger gap but not many. Between 1/4 and 1/2 has been the norm.

As far as your eyes go, it's hard to tell. Some shots look like you still have some flashing and other shots look good.

What I did was take my lenses and hold them in place to see if there are bumps or gaps. If they line up for you then I believe you are all set.
Another trick is to take some plain paper and trace your eyes and compare both sides. There really hasn't been a right or wrong way as far as I have read when it comes to eyes and teeth.

Idk neo, the eye cut outs look great to me. I would be scared when cutting those out, not much room for forgiveness.

Idk neo, the eye cut outs look great to me. I would be scared when cutting those out, not much room for forgiveness.
the trick is to use a drum on your dremel and cut them down from the inside, then use your xacto knife and or mini files:)

I'm a slow crafter, I'd probably use the file the whole time. Possibly take me a month or so lol I praise you power tool guys!

I'm a slow crafter, I'd probably use the file the whole time. Possibly take me a month or so lol I praise you power tool guys!
you should ask Santa for a dremel for Christmas. Maybe the drill press to go with it for the dremel. Practice practice practice. It's a great tool for any hobbyist

Helmets... Helmets everywhere....

Picked this up yesterday from @BobZurunkle !

I'm gonna wait on more reference before REALLY getting to work on this, but even as just a helmet, pretty awesome.

30604004475_c9b922cddf_c.jpg

This is my serious war-face.

Thing is heavy... I imagine in reality your neck would get sore as **** wearing it all day. Maybe this will help thicken up my neck.

Last edited:
Re: NeoRutty's Prop Projects - M1 for Rogue One

Great Build log Neo!
Im starting to understand an addicts life of prop collecting my garage and desk are covered in pieces of lightsaber and printed guns and now the same helmet!

Amazing collection of sabers, gotta love the real Obi parts and the Praco. Im in line for a Romans Graflex and obi kits I think thats about as clost as I will get here in NZ.

Helmets... Helmets everywhere....

Picked this up yesterday from @BobZurunkle !

I'm gonna wait on more reference before REALLY getting to work on this, but even as just a helmet, pretty awesome.

https://c4.staticflickr.com/6/5341/30604004475_c9b922cddf_c.jpg

This is my serious war-face.

Thing is heavy... I imagine in reality your neck would get sore as **** wearing it all day. Maybe this will help thicken up my neck.

"why so serious"

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back