NeoRutty's Prop Projects - ANH Stunt Stormtrooper Bucket - Pointers requested?

Re: NeoRutty's Prop Projects - Oh the weathering outside is weathering...

That ROTJ blaster looks good, I was bummed that I couldn't get in the last run, but excited that I'm on the current one.

Yeah it's a great intro prop to weathering cuz it's hard to mess it up. I'm not even looking at reference (if there even IS good reference) but just making it looks how I feel looks best in a "used" sense...

30204282985_a15e463c38_c.jpg

I still want to darken the handles then beat it up more before calling it done.

Getting to the fun part...

29966703850_1e16dedb91_c.jpg

So I hit it with flat black, and after 20 minutes or so, pulled off the larger stencils and then used a plastic spoon to cut the black off the rings...

29633651863_1e3ff977c8_c.jpg

I then had to leave for a weekend of Canadian Thanksgiving, so it got put aside...

HOWEVER, if you are doing this project, I must warn you...

WEATHER the crap out of it before painting. I had a really hard time doing anything to this saber cuz it was so nice and shiny. Now that I have the paint on and it's starting to look a little wrecked, I want it to look A LOT wrecked.

The more the saber is dirtied up, the better it gets....

I did AB on mine. While it's not accurate it really gives the piece a seriously weathered and handled look. I think it looks a little better than the real thing

What I think I'm going to do is chip off the rest of the paint using the reference photos, then take a clothe and lightly dab aluminum black on the bare parts, then lightly SOS it in parts...

I THINK this will work... it just looks weird having any sharp aluminum shine going on.

I should also note this is quickly becoming a favorite saber....

Re: NeoRutty's Prop Projects - working with the Luke V2

dude I'm loving that booster section!! i wish mine came out like that!

dude I'm loving that booster section!! i wish mine came out like that!

Thanks, yeah whoever gave me the idea, it worked well.

Now the trick is using the Alum black to take down the shine, without it making the booster no longer stand out.

Weathering this thing is actually kinda fun... can't really screw it up either, which is a nice, non stressful thing to muck around with outside of work, which is always some weird level of stressful.

Thanks, yeah whoever gave me the idea, it worked well.

Now the trick is using the Alum black to take down the shine, without it making the booster no longer stand out.

Weathering this thing is actually kinda fun... can't really screw it up either, which is a nice, non stressful thing to muck around with outside of work, which is always some weird level of stressful.

exactly! i enjoyed it so much! depending on when starkillers second V2 run happens i want to try and grab another one and do it for my friend. weathering is the most fun!

Do you think the Luke v2 is supposed to look like it was all black with spots that have worn off or it was silver and got really dirty?

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Do you think the Luke v2 is supposed to look like it was all black with spots that have worn off or it was silver and got really dirty?

There are guys in here who could get way more specific, but it's definitely chipped paint. It was battered around as a stunt saber before becoming the V2.

There are guys in here who could get way more specific, but it's definitely chipped paint. It was battered around as a stunt saber before becoming the V2.

Yep, it had at least one heavy coat of paint in 1977. Could have painted again later, but by ROTJ it was so beat to **** there are literal dents in the saber. I'm amazed the paint that did survive is still on there, must have been one hell of a paint job.

Last edited:

Yep, it had at least one heavy coat of paint in 1977. Could have painted again later, but by ROTJ it was so beat to **** there are literal dents in the saber. I'm amazed the paint that did survive is still on there, must have been one hell of a paint job.

i agree with you, i can't believe with all the man handling the saber went through there is so much black paint left...

HOWEVER, if you are doing this project, I must warn you...

WEATHER the crap out of it before painting. I had a really hard time doing anything to this saber cuz it was so nice and shiny. Now that I have the paint on and it's starting to look a little wrecked, I want it to look A LOT wrecked.

The more the saber is dirtied up, the better it gets....

I wholeheartedly agree with the last sentiment but I'll go a step further and say do it like the original prop: assemble, paint, and then beat the hell out of it. If anyone wants it more accurate paint-wise, that can always be done after but the saber feels so much more authentic after having it dropped, kicked around in gravel, and used to hammer in nails.;)

NeoRutty;4097051 HOWEVER said:
I thought I would miss the clean and shiny look too, but once I started trying to knock that clean & shiny off... I didn't miss it. Whatever I threw at this saber.... didn't hurt it :lol. Hell, I even lit it on fire! But, I very much agree, the more ruffed up this baby gets, the better it looks. & this is now my favorite lightsaber. & I hope & pray that he does another run of the three piece v2. I'll get at least 2. Another for me, & one for my friend, who was a huge help to me with this build.

& may I say, your ROTJ blaster is A-mazing!

I know it was actually chipped paint. I was asking about what it is supposed to look like. Some photos look like crisp chips and others look more smeared. I could believe the smeared look is intended to make it look like it was silver and got dirty.

Sometimes the chipped look doesn't look quite right to me. Other than the chips it doesn't look worn. I guess that gets down to weathering before doing the black paint.

Even the actual v2 prop seems too shiny in some photos.

I always thought it was odd how different the condition of the ROTJ hero saber is compared to the v2. The v2 looks like it has been beat up for years and the hero looks brand new. Some of the mostly black areas on the v2 are not black or even dirty on the hero.

Last edited:

What is the in universe history of the Luke ROTJ saber? Is it supposed to be old or have old parts? If it was supposed to have been built after ESB and not have old parts, it wouldn't make much sense for it to look like it is 50 years old. I could see having chipped paint even if it wasn't very old.

What is the in universe history of the Luke ROTJ saber? Is it supposed to be old or have old parts? If it was supposed to have been built after ESB and not have old parts, it wouldn't make much sense for it to look like it is 50 years old. I could see having chipped paint even if it wasn't very old.

nothing canon that i know. fans theorize that it was left over parts collected by obiwan, found in obiwans hutt by luke when snooping around back on tattoonie before he goes to jabbas palace.

the latest rumor and theory is the green crystal in the V2 is from quigon jinns saber. obiwan kept it all these years. again nothing canon wise and all speculation but i'd really love to see this come true

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I still have to do my v2... I'm dreading it for some reason.... Probably because I've never been much of a painter...

I know it was actually chipped paint. I was asking about what it is supposed to look like. Some photos look like crisp chips and others look more smeared. I could believe the smeared look is intended to make it look like it was silver and got dirty.

Sometimes the chipped look doesn't look quite right to me. Other than the chips it doesn't look worn. I guess that gets down to weathering before doing the black paint.

Even the actual v2 prop seems too shiny in some photos.

Was watching Jedi on Bluray this weekend and when it was on the thrown definitely looked chipped paint AND a little shiny... which is why I think I have it figured how I want to weather this...

I'm just gonna chip off the rest of the paint as I see fit, then dab Alum Black on the bare parts to grey it a bit.

As for PoopaPapaPalps suggestion, I want to bang it up SO badly, but man, It's really hard... there was already a flaw in the emitter that I sanded back down to crisp...

I know I should though... just roll it down the cement driveway...:(

- - - Updated - - -

I still have to do my v2... I'm dreading it for some reason.... Probably because I've never been much of a painter...

SO much easier than you'd think... but I put mine off forever as well...

It's actually kind of lame how long it takes me to do simple projects... there are guys in here machining from scratch and installing electronics, meanwhile I'm staring at a stencil and spray can thinking "man... this is going to be a pain... do I want to get started on this?"

It's never tough... I'm just a procrastinator... this whole thread is about my procrastination.

almost 3 years in on this site, and I've FINISHED maybe 4 of my sabers completely.

Last edited by a moderator:

Heh.... I know what you mean... I've finished exactly two hilts; arguably the two easiest lightsabers to build: my Obi and my M.P.P. ESB Vader... And even my Vader isn't 100% yet since I still need to trim and swap out the bubble strip and card...

That is a great paint job, it turned out awesome! I'm almost finished with my second V2 and they are so much fun to build. I want to replace my D-ring with a thicker one but what method are you or have others tried to attach it without bending it out of shape?

That is a great paint job, it turned out awesome! I'm almost finished with my second V2 and they are so much fun to build. I want to replace my D-ring with a thicker one but what method are you or have others tried to attach it without bending it out of shape?

What I generally do with D-Rings is cut out a bunch of the middle with a dremel, then it's just a small bend to get it in.

More on the V2 paint/weathering soon... I wish I had the pommel end! But that's still being taken care of (needs a replacement)

Vancouver is getting hit with a major storm this weekend, so looks like I'll be inside, cutting up a Stormtrooper helmet.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back