NeoRutty's Prop Projects - ANH Stunt Stormtrooper Bucket - Pointers requested?

Re: NeoRutty's Prop Projects - Call out! Anyone with machining skills to solve a pro

I'd go for a slightly smaller drill piece, is there any way you can sink the drill piece deeper in the chuck that way you'll have less flex on the drill bit itself which might help?
Alternatively how about starting off dot punch it and use an archenemies drill which is nice and small hand held, will be a bit painful (slow) but might just get you a starting point to be able to use a larger drill?
Another alternative which I don't think you'd want to go down the route of would be to drill from the other side 180 degrees with correct drill (all the way through), then plug the old hole from the other side with an aluminium rod, you could turn that down in place to give you the correct curve, I've seen that done before and looks okay - as to say difficult to note.

hmmmm a hole through the other side may not be bad... if I COULD fill it cleanly after...

It's an option.

Still really hoping Anakin Starkiller has another... just do it over... The first one we did went so easily. It's crazy this is even an issue.

Re: NeoRutty's Prop Projects - Call out! Anyone with machining skills to solve a pro

Still not thinking like a propmaker are we? That hole you were supposed to drill would contain that mystery square chunk, correct? Well . . . why not adapt that mystery chunk like so, so that it will cover your stuck drill bit instead i.e. with the aid of some JB Weld and voilà you'd be done ... who cares what's inside that chunk ... as long as the exterior appearance looks like the V2 pommel with the mystery chunk attached there's no need to get a spare from Anakin Starkiller :wacko

Chaim

Still not thinking like a propmaker are we? That hole you were supposed to drill would contain that mystery square chunk, correct? Well . . . why not adapt that mystery chunk like so, so that it will cover your stuck drill bit instead i.e. with the aid of some JB Weld and voilà you'd be done ... who cares what's inside that chunk ... as long as the exterior appearance looks like the V2 pommel with the mystery chunk attached there's no need to get a spare from Anakin Starkiller :wacko

Chaim

Ohhh I know... I have considered that. My only worry is that the JB weld won't hold well. I've found in the past that these types of things don't meld well together. If I could Spot weld it on, that could work...

I just see JB weld coming loose fast. and I'm of the type that lets people handle my stuff... I figure it would be knocked off fast.

But yeah, the square covering the mess is our "safety solution"

Re: NeoRutty Prop Projects - Canon Y - Drilling Madness

I think you are going to need a mill instead of a drill press, only thing to do would be to find an end mill/ drill bit just a hair smaller, make sure its dead center and drill away. An M6 shouldn't have broken like that.

Oh, it happens a lot of time, it just depends what you are cutting. For some materials i like to use a bigger drill for a bigger leadhole than the standard, makes cutting easier.

For props usually no industrial strength is needed - to ease things up i often use a slighly bigger drill, too.

I don´t know what quality/hardness your cutter was, but i assume a mill will not work as most endmills are not that much harder.

Usually such stuff has to be wire eroded (translated, not sure if it´s called that in english).

But you can try some things.

Alu has a much bigger heat extension than steel - put it some time in the oven to make it as hot as possible. The surrounding alu should extend more than the bit, so it might get lose and can be turned out with needle pliers.

Usually they are brittle (due to the hardening process, that´s why good cutters break more easily than the cheap stuff, but cut better). Is the pommel hollow, or can you lathe it hollow? Then just press or punch it through. As soon as it´s out, we can work on fixing it.

It's slightly hollow... but kind of unreachable through the bottom... would likely have to drill a hole in the other side

I had the idea of heating it, then trying to hammer the piece through... break the threads... my not be possible without destroying the pommel.

Turning with pliers is no longer an option, cuz we sanded it down flat (it was to make a slot for a screw driver, or give it a flat surface to drill into).

You drilled a hole for cutting? If you can lathe the pommel hollow until the center hole hits the drilled hole, you can easily push it to the hollow center with a hammer and a punch.

Even flat grounded the cutter should have the holes between the cutting ridges - with a small needlenose pliers you should be able to grip them and turn it out. That wouldn´t bring enough force when it sits blocked, but heating might get it lose enough for it.

Many ways, but hard to explain.

Sorry for your troubles but I can't help but smile just imagining the look on your face when the bit snapped off in the pommel.:p

As for advice on removing the bit, I only see two options that won't completely ruin the pommel completely:

1) Find a way to drill it out
2) Find a way to punch a square hole in the bit and use an Allen key to wrench it out.

If you want to keep it all in tact, leverage is your only friend in removing the bit.

Sorry for your troubles but I can't help but smile just imagining the look on your face when the bit snapped off in the pommel.:p

As for advice on removing the bit, I only see two options that won't completely ruin the pommel completely:

1) Find a way to drill it out
2) Find a way to punch a square hole in the bit and use an Allen key to wrench it out.

If you want to keep it all in tact, leverage is your only friend in removing the bit.

Yeah it went silent for a moment... but we were pretty sure we'd get it out no problem...

2 hours later... nothing.

Can't drill into the piece... tooo tough. At least not with the bits we have.

You drilled a hole for cutting? If you can lathe the pommel hollow until the center hole hits the drilled hole, you can easily push it to the hollow center with a hammer and a punch.

It's already hollow - I can see the other side of the hole with the point of the cutter inside.... so hammer and punch, eh? That was an option I gave that my friend was hesitant on, figuring we may do too much damage... but I'll pass on that someone else thinks it's an idea.

Even flat grounded the cutter should have the holes between the cutting ridges - with a small needlenose pliers you should be able to grip them and turn it out. That wouldn´t bring enough force when it sits blocked, but heating might get it lose enough for it.

Yup you can see the "cross hairs"... just so tiny they would have to be REALLY tiny pliers... I guess I assumed they would just snap like the drill bits we used.

I will push for the hammer suggestion

...I assume you are no machinist/metal worker?

Proud to say I have very little experience working with metal, therefore, I know none of the limitations; perfect situation for solving problems.:lol

Can't say I've been in exactly NeoRutty's situation but I've managed to do something similar before. But, even if it doesn't work, at least you'll know what not to do in future.:angel

I just messaged my friend and he's gonna attempt the hammer smash.

If successful, I will of course post!

I'd worry about smashing it aluminium isn't that strong you may actually take out its shape especially if it's hollow, those teeth are only going to act like a wedge.
Have a go with a small hand drill or archimedies drill take your time you should salvage it. Shame you have nothing to grip soaking in WD40 might have loosened it up?

I'd worry about smashing it aluminium isn't that strong you may actually take out its shape especially if it's hollow, those teeth are only going to act like a wedge.
Have a go with a small hand drill or archimedies drill take your time you should salvage it. Shame you have nothing to grip soaking in WD40 might have loosened it up?

My friend will be careful... if he feels it's going to be wrecked, he'll likely back off... good thing I was thinking of weathering it!

The thing is, where it's in, there are maybe 4 threads holding it until the taper in the tool. so with the alluminum being soft, there's a chance with heat that it will let go...

Guess we'll see, heh.

He may figure another way as well. I left it with him in the States. He knows a few guys he works with that may have an idea as well.

What would freezing it do? http://www.dezeen.com/2015/10/26/paul-cocksedge-freeze-exhibition-friedman-benda-new-york-usa/

This is getting high tech.

Are there diamond dremel disc cutters that could get you a flat head size score in the bit?

JB weld over option looks to be the most grounded at this stage, perhaps with a stem coming through one of the bit cutting grooves that can glue into a tiny tiny hole in the mystery chunk for added support.

Freezing will not work in this case.

You need to use the temperature change to your advantage - heat makes things bigger in length and dia, cold makes them smaller. One usual example is setting bearings in place - to put a bearing on a rod you heat the bearing and cool the rod, slide it over, and when the parts go back to standard temp, they are tight fit. Other direktion for putting a bearing inside lets say a machined cast housing, there you freeze the bearing to make it smaller and heat the housing to make it bigger. In both ways you can put the parts easy together and they are set tight at standard tmep.

That´s the short form, different materials have different ratios when heated/cold, for industrial use that has to be considered, too.

In this case you want to get the 2 parts lose, but can´t heat and freeze them as it would be optimal (heat the outer alu and cold the remaining steel part) as the inside sitting small bit is to small. But you can try to heat them as a whole as much as possible - due to alu extending more than steel when heated there still is a chance it´s enough to loosen the 2 parts.

Best of luck. Im anxious to see how this pans out.

Well it's currently at my friends, and he's going to play with it this weekend.

Until then, on to other projects. Got a Stormie Bucket to put together... and then let my drunk friends write all over it at my Star Wars themed 40th B-day.

And yes, this will probably be painful to watch, but could be a cool display piece.

just gotta get over letting people write on it (but that's what I bought it for...)

:(

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back