Doctor Who opinions

Kaitou

Hey guys just wondering what you feel about doctor who, about what's your favorite episode, scene, moment, doctor, costume, or screwdriver design. Just whatever you want to say about your favorite time lord.

- - - Updated - - -

My favorite doctor is probably the tenth with third as a close second, I love the waters of Mars and the lodger, I think ten's costume is the best, and my favorite moment in all of Doctor Who is the end of silence in the library when the doctor snaps his fingers. Thoughts? Opinions? Please join in.

I grew up watching the fourth doctor on PBS, and my favorite episodes are from that era - the Hand of Fear, the Talons of Weng-Chiang, and Logopolis. The revived series with the ninth doctor is my favorite of the new series, though Capaldi is definitely growing on me!

I love the fourth doctor, of all the actors to have played the doctor Tom Bakr is probably the one name most interchangeable to the doctor, it was really his role. I also like the ninth doctor, I honestly think he's had the best Dalek story of all, and I'm already really liking 12

- - - Updated - - -

*Baker, sorry

Favorite episode, hands down is Vincent and the Doctor. Tony Curran's portrayal of Van Gogh was heart-rendingly beautiful and it was a wonderful way to show how the creative mind can torture itself. Whenever I hear someone express curiosity about Doctor Who, but say they don't get it, I tell them to watch this episode. To me, it's a wonderful encapsulation of what's best about the character of the Doctor.

Yes I completely agree, the ending to Vincent and the Doctor is one of the greatest and most beautiful scenes in all of Doctor Who, it really shows what the show can be about.

There are only four Doctors in my opinion and they were the first four incarnations of the character. There are some highlights after that from the succeeding Doctors but the character itself was becoming more and more boring. As for the new series, I can't abide by it; I tried to see something good in it but it's just bad. Can it, I say, and try it again. Maybe that way they'll get better writers and showrunners that do something different and, well, decent with it. Who knows?

Just to knock it out the way:

Tom Baker
Patrick Troughton
Jon Pertwee
William Hartnell

Favorite sonic screwdriver design: Second Doctor's sonic - back when it was just a screwdriver (with attachments) and not a deus ex machina.

Favorite costume/costume piece: Fourth Doctor's scarf - it's the only thing that's genuinely unique to have ever been made for the Doctor.

I like the second doctors sonic screwdriver to, it's very basic, but looks very nice, and I love those doctors to, without Patrick Troughton especially we wouldn't even be talking about this right now.

My favourite doctor by a long shot is Patrick Troughton. As far as I'm concerned he invented the character as we know it. It kills me that half of his stuff is lost to time.

Apart from him I can find positives in every incarnation. Some more than others obviously but I enjoyed every era of Doctor Who for what it was and I still continue to do so.

My favourite doctor by a long shot is Patrick Troughton. As far as I'm concerned he invented the character as we know it. It kills me that half of his stuff is lost to time.

Apart from him I can find positives in every incarnation. Some more than others obviously but I enjoyed every era of Doctor Who for what it was and I still continue to do so.
Sadly, I've probably seen less Troughton than any other Doctor... from what I've seen (and recall), it sure seems like a lot of the second Doctor in the regenerations that have followed.

I really like Troughton, I did a massive binge-watch of all of Who leading up to the 50th. I agree that it's a shame so much of his stuff is missing. It's also a shame they never did more animated reconstructions.
As for positives in every incarnation... mostly yes. I did get a little tired of Pertwee-stuck-on-Earth, at times it seems less like Who and more like The Avengers, or other action/adventure serials of the time. When he finally got to go off-world (Peladon) I enjoyed it again. Then he really tried my patience with the 'Pertwee decides he must drive five different vehicles in this episode and spend 20 minutes in a chase scene' during the whole 'Spiders' thing. At least we got Tom Baker out of that.

I enjoyed 99% of Tom, and liked re-visiting Peter Davison (the very first Doc I saw growing up) but the over-use of 'Adric messes up and agrees with the bad guy' got annoying. I did enjoy Tegan and Nyssa, though I can even find something to like about Colin Baker... I think. Somehow my childhood brain mostly blanked out his run, and my main memories are Sylvester McCoy and a crush on Ace. I really think those two could have had great adventures if the show had continued.

McGann: I caught one of his audios on the BBC iplayer and now I want more. Why, oh, why couldn't they have used him in the 50th? We did NOT need John Hurt (love the actor, HATE the War Doctor). It would have been so easy to write the 8th Doctor as the one who fought the Time War and I would have loved to see him up against (alongside) Matt and David. Speaking of which, I think Matt Smith is in danger of plipping to bottom in the list of my favourite 'new who' Docs, Capaldi is just edging him out. Tennant is still top, though.

At first, I thought this was a no brainer: Tom Baker. I watched his Doctor Who episodes (in rerun) as a teen and started my descent into DW fandom (which waned, but is slowly coming back with my niece and nephew's interest).

But, after thinking about it... I think Peter Davison might be my favorite. He's just more... human.

Last edited:
Two moments in particular stand out to me....

1) "The Doctor Dances" with Christopher Eccelston. This is the episode with the kid in the gas mask asking "Are you my mommy?" The ending was so moving, it just stuck with me.
2) When David Tennant says "I don't want to go...."

Blink stands out to me - it's one of a small handful of Tennant episodes I've seen (and the only one with that companion) and it's definitely a standout episode. My 7 year-old niece love it as well.

My wife has expressed an interest in starting Doctor Who. It's a little nerve wracking, considering where to start her. I hesitate to begin with "Rose," bc its really not that good. But I don't want to skip 9. Well, some of 9 I'll pass on. "11th Hour" is very accessible, but 11 is best taken in context as the last life of the Doctor... So, after researching and reading opinions, I think I'll start with "Love & Monsters."

J/K

Actually, we've discussed starting with "City of Death." 4 was my first Doctor, Romana's the best, and it would nicely allow her to see the hokiness of the show as honoring its roots. Plus, Douglas Adams, & it's on Netflix.

Over the last few years, I've tried to think of which Doctors I didn't like. Ultimately, I like em all, but it comes down to who I've seen the least of. I love that, even though he's always a bit different, a consistent personality and values always bleed through into the actors' performances.

So I'd say
LOVE: Baker, Davison, Tennant, Smith
LIKE: Eccleston, Capaldi, Pertwee, McGann, Hartnell
HAVENT SEEN ENOUGH: Troughton, Baker2, McCoy

And while I liked Hurt's performance of the War Doctor, ultimately I feel like his character was not different enough from the rest of them.
He was a good Doctor.
He did not come across as the Warrior that all succeeding Doctors would wish they'd never been.

Actually, we've discussed starting with "City of Death." 4 was my first Doctor, Romana's the best, and it would nicely allow her to see the hokiness of the show as honoring its roots. Plus, Douglas Adams, & it's on Netflix.

I dunno, if I had been introduced to the series with COD I probably wouldn't have watched any more. Although that's just me. From my point of view when they switched Romana's that's when Baker's run really started to go down hill.

I really want to find and watch Hand of Fear again. I think that was my first story when I was about 7. I can remember being utterly creeped out when the hand reanimated. The effects are TOTALLY cheesy now, but left a big impression.

what's your favorite
episode (Dalek, Eccleston)
scene (When Sally and Larry realize the angels can move after watching the video, Blink)
moment (Regeneration of Pertwee into Baker, just a good time in Dr Who history, Sarah Jane, The Brigadier, Sgt Benton.)
doctor (Eccleston/Baker)
costume (Eccleston/Baker)
screwdriver design (3/4/5 classic)

My first episode was The Sun Makers (Baker). I remember it being sort of a "what was that all about" sort of feeling.
I could not figure out what was going on with the police box until watching a few episodes.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back