Doctor Who opinions

Finally caught up on Who.
I really only have geeky prop commentary about Hartnell's Tardis.

So strange to leave off the St. Johns Ambulance emblem since Hartnell's was the only one to HAVE it until the latest version.
Likewise, it should have white trim around the windows. It disappeared after Mind Robber (when the entire thing was painted white, then all-blue again including trim).
Actually: By the time of Hartnel's last outing he was using what's variously referred to as the 'altered' or 'modified' Brachacki Tardis (after Peter Brachaki, the designer of the original version). Although it now turns out (with much research) that this box has the front and rear doors made from two of the 'fake' Tardis cupboards that appeared in The Celestial Toymaker. All of which is to say that this particular cobbled together prop never appeared with white windows (discounting the stint as cupboard doors) or with the St John's logo, which presumably stayed with the original doors (fate unknown). This can all be seen in the prop's first outing at the very end of The War Machines and is obvious in the cuts between location - showing the original doors, with white windows (that include drip-sills) the lock on the left door and the (painted over) St John's badge - and the studio shots which show no drip-sills, blue frames, no badge and the lock on the other door.

I loved the Hartnell Tardis interior set recreation. The console should be a very light, pale green, though.

There's some debate about this, but Moffat and others come down on the side of 'It was painted green only so that it looked bright white on black-and-white TV' so, ignoring brief appearances with Pertwee tinkering on it (by which time the green had faded a lot anyway) it was intended to appear white.

That's just it, though. It did appear with Pertwee, so those appearances, however brief, canonized the green.

Not that it's a big deal. :)

If it was supposed to be 3's tardis, you'd have a point. Given it's 1's, nothing to say it didn't change between those appearances. The Interior has changed repeatedly over the years.

That, and that pertwee green was fugly.

I have no problems with the new Doctor,....made no difference to me what sex the Doctor is.....it's just the story & tone that I wasn't too impressed with,....

The Theme music blew me away though,.....back to the original elements of Delia Derbyshire,.....more experimental/spooky & less orchestral

J

Yeah, the story was a bust, the diet coke of Dr Who , Predator lite , not quite evil enough to be at all frightening , definitely once the mask came off, (did they have to be ALL human teeth, why not some variety) . Which was a pity because the cable monster actually worked quite well. And that really is the most unfortunately shaped sonic screwdriver in the entire history of Dr Who ever.

It was a kind of bland introduction, not very original but better written than many others before it ,and it served well enough as an introduction. Jodie made a pretty good Dr, showing its the mind and the mystery that drove the character and story, though at times it did feel like she was channelling David T's version.

It was fun to see Sheffield used so much ,though It is kind of weird that Jodie was born a couple of miles from where I live now.
All things considered a fair start, not brilliant, but not at all bad either. Plenty of time to find its own feet (and the Tardis as well).

Last edited:
Not my cup of tea, the BBC at its best again ( All change ) No intro music ( I missed that bit ) very poor story line, AVP comes to my mind when I was watching,
they said new monsters, ( it’s only the first episode I know ) it was reminiscent of SG 1 and the Super soldiers designed by Anubis, the script wrighters must be Sci-Fy fans with not much imagination,
the title music at the end !! you could tell what it was but I didn’t get the right vibes when hearing it, Peter Capaldi said the same when they changed the theme music when he started,
the more they change then DR Who will loose its identity and loose its valued viewing figures and it will get axed just like back in the 80s
i will watch a few more but it has to get better or more than me will switch off.
As for a female Dr !! She has started so she shall finish, she’s a good actress and don’t blame her for doing her job but I still blame the BBC for trying to do what they think is right, but not right for the show.
Just think if Harry Potter was the imagination of the BBC and they tried to reboot it 60 years later as Harriet Potter !!! Enough said

- - - Updated - - -

How/where can the new show be seen in the US?
Probably on the BBC iPlayer tomorrow

Yes the cable monster was great looking,....reminded me of the creature from "Dragon's Domain" episode in Space:1999.....I was disappointed when the bloke monster turned up

space1999-16.jpg

Screen Shot 2018-10-07 at 21.31.02.png

J

Only tuned in to here the new music. And there wasnt any...

Leftbitbon anyway and half way through i turned it over. Now before you accuse me of being a sexist pig it was my wife who said "oh god... I cant put up with her voice any longer " and I agreed and turned it off. Not for me at all. I'll wait for the next regeneration thanks.

I actually like the new Doctor. The episode wasn't the greatest though. All of the other previous (modern) Doctors had their own style and most of them wore suits. I am wondering why they didn't take advantage of Jodie Whittaker's beauty and put her in some thing a little dressier than that clown suit. She looked like Robin Willams when he played Mork from Ork. The only thing missing from that clown suit was the big floppy shoes, a red nose and a horn.

TazMan2000

Yes the cable monster was great looking,....reminded me of the creature from "Dragon's Domain" episode in Space:1999.....I was disappointed when the bloke monster turned up

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-GTQg7s4VWjw/VLpojeIV9zI/AAAAAAABA4A/j4ZPxbUmfk8/s1600/space1999-16.jpg
View attachment 847419

J

Great catch, once I saw your photo it all clicked!!!

I'd have loved them to have really gone with whole "Dragon Domain" sequence. Steaming ,partially liquified skeletons ejected in a slick stream of digestive juices! Social media would have gone into meltdown and the BBC would have been sued by thousands of parents whose children suffered PTSD nightmares! The giant maggoty days of the "Green Death" are long gone from Dr Who I'm afraid.

PS : It was a massive ratings hit- 8.8 million ,nearly 9 at one point 40% of audience share

Last edited:
I thought Jodie did great, but as others have commented, the story and villain were kinda weak. I was hoping for a more epic intro to the new Doctor, but this episode was more like a run of the mill show. Here's hoping they pick things up a bit.

Sean

I watched what they called the 'Special Edition'. That was a mistake. Shoulda watched the first airing i DVR'd.

Show, full commercial, shot of her panel at comiccon with a question and answer, full commercial break, back to show. I know it would have worked better with much shorter or no breaks.

The end of the 'watch party' (only saw the last few minutes) was bad and the comic con stuff could have been better though she did very well there I thought.....regardless, i don't want 10 minute breaks while watching the show.

I thought they all did well. I don't expect episode 1 to ever be superb. Especially with a whole new crew from top to bottom. Takes everyone a while to find their groove.

I actually liked Jodie in the first episode and I'm finding most of the remarks about the new show endless entertaining. Most of you got what you wanted, a new showrunner and and new doctor, but I'm seeing the same old complaints that have been around since the 2nd or 3rd year of RTD's time of running Doctor Who.

I watched what they called the 'Special Edition'. That was a mistake. Shoulda watched the first airing i DVR'd.

Show, full commercial, shot of her panel at comiccon with a question and answer, full commercial break, back to show. I know it would have worked better with much shorter or no breaks.

The end of the 'watch party' (only saw the last few minutes) was bad and the comic con stuff could have been better though she did very well there I thought.....regardless, i don't want 10 minute breaks while watching the show.

I thought they all did well. I don't expect episode 1 to ever be superb. Especially with a whole new crew from top to bottom. Takes everyone a while to find their groove.
I watched the first showing and then I turned on the special edition and thought, "oh, the extra scenes are just clips from a convention panel" and watched a video on YouTube instead.

The show was OK. Since the reboot they've made the Doctor more and more scatterbrained after regenerating. The only part I actively disliked was when she was able to build a sonic screwdriver with hardware and electronics she found in a dingy garage.

I watched the first showing and then I turned on the special edition and thought, "oh, the extra scenes are just clips from a convention panel" and watched a video on YouTube instead.

The show was OK. Since the reboot they've made the Doctor more and more scatterbrained after regenerating. The only part I actively disliked was when she was able to build a sonic screwdriver with hardware and electronics she found in a dingy garage.

I kinda felt the same way about the sonic, but on the rewatch, I noticed she used some of the alien tech as well. I thought it was a subtle way to REALLY set this Doctor apart. The 50th showed that all the sonics have been the same sonic, just with different 'skins'(very much an oversimplification), but now this sonic is completely without history or baggage.

I kinda felt the same way about the sonic, but on the rewatch, I noticed she used some of the alien tech as well. I thought it was a subtle way to REALLY set this Doctor apart. The 50th showed that all the sonics have been the same sonic, just with different 'skins'(very much an oversimplification), but now this sonic is completely without history or baggage.

I was very skeptical when I first saw Jodie's sonic, it did not help that is could pass off as a lady toy if it had a vibrate setting :rolleyes

I liked the idea of the doctor building her screwdriver herself and I liked the idea with the Sheffield steel ( I watched a video recently from the BBC and the sonic has a Sheffield steel stamp on it ).

maxresdefault.jpg720DW11284--Dr-Who-13th-Doctor-Sonic-Screwdriver.jpg

And don't you think it looks like a spoon - and remember the 12th Doctors sonic is only lost ( for now ). :)

Just finished watching it, and I like it a lot. While it wasn't top-tier, I'd say it was pretty strong for a regeneration episode. She felt like the Doctor to me right off the bat.
I also like the pacing and tone that we've seen so far from the new crew.

I actually like the new Doctor. The episode wasn't the greatest though. All of the other previous (modern) Doctors had their own style and most of them wore suits. I am wondering why they didn't take advantage of Jodie Whittaker's beauty and put her in some thing a little dressier than that clown suit. She looked like Robin Willams when he played Mork from Ork. The only thing missing from that clown suit was the big floppy shoes, a red nose and a horn.

TazMan2000

Remember, one of the traits of the Doctor is that they have terrible fashion sense. River pointed it out once.
1's anachronistic Victorian clothes, 2's fur coat & checkered pants, 3's capes, 4's giant scarf, 5's celery & cricket uniform, 6 - nuff said, 7's ? sweaters & umbrella, 8 started off with a Buffalo Bill costume, 10's sneakers with his smart suit, 11's mishmash of styles. OK, 9 was pretty well put together, and 12 started out snazzy, but also wore some terrible hoodies throughout his run.
Point being, I think her look is pretty spot on. As was her confidence when Yaz was all "That's what you're settling on, really?"

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back