Doctor Who opinions

Okay, but it didn't have to be written that way, is my point. Just saying it could've been a more dramatic moment.
Not that it's bad the way it is. It's just one step shy of what it could be.

I expect that in the service of harkening back to the early days of DW trying to be educational they opted for a more historically accurate reason for Rosa being instructed to move rather than have the Doctor slap a fake mustache on Graham and tell him to twirl it while staring pointedly at Rosa after telling her to move.

I had to fast forward throughout Rosa, not because I didn't like the episode, but because I felt uncomfortable and self-aware watching it.

You know an episode's good when it's not just entertaining, but thought-provoking as well.

This is exactly how I felt watching this episode. I loved it but at times it was hard to watch. I grew up in the 1960's and though this kind of stuff was supposed to have stopped it still went on and it was hard to see friends treated that way not understanding why someone would act that way.

Just finished watching it at lunch, and wow. Great episode, overall. Loved Ryan's moment in the meeting!
While the bad guy was a bit basic, I thought all of the character and timeline plot points were great, and not over the top at all. The ending music, maybe a little.
Loving the new Doctor, and really digging Graham. The younger companions got some good moments this time too.

He didn't have a seat to go back to, he gave up his seat and the unoccupied one beside him to a couple that got on at that stop. That stop brought the bus to eleven white passengers, with him as number eleven when he stood up. There's no need to have him ask for the seat, as Rosa's row was legally required to be vacated as soon as there was an eleventh white passenger.

I think the tight camera work made this a little harder to follow. It's great for conveying the emotion of the characters, but if they'd backed out a bit, you could have seen the other white passengers slide into Graham's seat and the now full bus.
I loved his conflict in being part of that moment in history; as a bus driver, a white man, and a recent partner in a very loving interracial marriage.

For the first time in a VERY LONG time, Doctor Who felt very, "classic." It reminded me VERY much in development and story telling in line with the very beginning of the show, where the Doctor, Ian, Barbara and Susan got caught up in a moment in history and had to help it play out.

From the opening credits running before the episode starts, to the Doctor and her three companions landing in the middle of a big event in time. This was a true "origins" Doctor Who story in every sense.

It was classic in the sense that Doctor Who was originally dreamed up to be a look at history, but it was way too preachy. Okay, we get it, racism is bad, stop whacking everyone over the head with it already!

I'm not really into Dr Who, catch xmas specials and the odd episode, but the trailer for this episode got my attention and peaked my curiosity to check out the new Dr.

Was not disappointed. The episode was excellent, I really started getting into it and thought the new Dr was great. She brought a good sense of fun to it. I'll probably go back and check the first couple of episodes and may get through a whole season. Not managed that since Eccleston.

It was classic in the sense that Doctor Who was originally dreamed up to be a look at history, but it was way too preachy. Okay, we get it, racism is bad, stop whacking everyone over the head with it already!

One 15 second bit was on the preachy side but it wasn't outside of what they'd actually say, you know?. Outside of that, that's what it was like at that time in that place. If you're traveling in time with people from today, it's a stark contrast and you're going to have to point these things out. What is read in history books doesn't do the reality justice quite frankly.

I know this doesn't have anything to do with the last episode, which I really liked, but has anyone else noticed or wondered why whenever a new showrunner takes over nothing from the previous showrunners makes it into the new shows. Other than a few iconic villains nothing makes it into the new shows. I for one would like to see some characters come back, such as the Doctors Daughter, but they have made such a big deal about him/her never looking back that I doubt something like that would ever happen. With a female doctor I would love to see the reactions and interactions with some the people from the Doctor's past.

Captain Jack has seen two Doctors, considering the character I would just love him to make an appearance with #13
That dynamic would be awesome. I am not a big fan of the episodes Chibnall wrote for dr who but his torchwood episodes were fantastic. I think he would do something really good with Jack Harkness.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

One 15 second bit was on the preachy side but it wasn't outside of what they'd actually say, you know?. Outside of that, that's what it was like at that time in that place. If you're traveling in time with people from today, it's a stark contrast and you're going to have to point these things out. What is read in history books doesn't do the reality justice quite frankly.

It was a lot more than 15 seconds. That's been the problem with a lot of TV shows in the last couple of years. Instead of just trying to make entertaining television, they want to make endless social commentary. I don't want your moralizing, I want to be entertained. But what you're saying simply does not hold true. The Doctor has been around for a very long time and has seen pretty much all of history, has lived through a large portion of it. The idea that the Doctor would arbitrarily pick a single era of time and pick their moral views as "true" and apply it to all of history. A true student of, and direct experiencer of history, would recognize that morals and ethics change over time and especially for someone who has been to the future and seen that the morals we hold today have been tossed out and new ones adopted, just as we've done with morals of the past, it just doesn't hold true.

This is just the BBC and the regressive left virtue signalling. It's not good writing, it's political grandstanding.

It was a lot more than 15 seconds. That's been the problem with a lot of TV shows in the last couple of years. Instead of just trying to make entertaining television, they want to make endless social commentary. I don't want your moralizing, I want to be entertained. But what you're saying simply does not hold true. The Doctor has been around for a very long time and has seen pretty much all of history, has lived through a large portion of it. The idea that the Doctor would arbitrarily pick a single era of time and pick their moral views as "true" and apply it to all of history. A true student of, and direct experiencer of history, would recognize that morals and ethics change over time and especially for someone who has been to the future and seen that the morals we hold today have been tossed out and new ones adopted, just as we've done with morals of the past, it just doesn't hold true.

This is just the BBC and the regressive left virtue signalling. It's not good writing, it's political grandstanding.

It's not a matter of picking a time's moral view and applying them as true. It's always been a tenant of the Doctor that s/he HELPS people who are being harmed. People who endure racism suffer as a result, ergo, racism is wrong in the Doctor's view.

It's not that hard.

I cought up the 1st 2 episodes. Thoroughly enjoyed them both, I'm liking the new Dr and Graham is just great.

I cant say I'm finding it preachy, I'm not getting that vibe at all. It just is what it is.

My only nitpick, the 2nd episode when she gets in the Tardis the first time. As she goes through the door the inside of the police box acts like a porch to the larger interior. I prefer the old school set up, walk through the door and you're smack in amongst it.

There's one bit that comes off a pit preaching in E3 where they're sitting next to a dumpster.

People today experience racism. No doubt. However, it pales to what it was in the '50's. Even with what the read in schools or saw in movies, it'd be pure culture shock to have to actually endure it.

As far as attitudes changing. Yeah, they do. Is there less racism today than the 50's? Absolutely. Is there less than say the 80's or 90's? I'm going to say no, there's more today that 20ish years ago, which is sad. Recognizing it isn't political, it's paying attention.

Regarding her line (paraphrased) "history is tricky": this has happened many times over the years, of course, but I still find it funny when the Doctor arbitrarily picks any particular adventure to worry about changing history. Apart from whatever "now" is to her, every trip she makes is altering history, either past or future. That's what she DOES. When he (at the time*) helped the Thals (seemingly) destroy the Daleks during his virst visit to Skaro, that wasn't "now", that was far in the past. Isn't that altering history?

It's like firesprite says, it really isn't about being true to history (even when she says it is), it's about doing the right thing.

Except when it isn't (see "The Aztecs").

TIMEY WIMEY

*Managing gender pronouns is going to get very annoying!

There's one bit that comes off a pit preaching in E3 where they're
sitting next to a dumpster.

People today experience racism. No doubt. However, it pales to what it was in the '50's. Even with what the read in schools or saw in movies, it'd be pure culture shock to have to actually endure it.

As far as attitudes changing. Yeah, they do. Is there less racism today than the 50's? Absolutely. Is there less than say the 80's or 90's? I'm going to say no, there's more today that 20ish years ago, which is sad. Recognizing it isn't political, it's paying attention.

There is not more racism today than 20 years ago there is less the same with crime and violence in most cases .

In 1990 2 live crew gets arrested at there own shows for there act .

Similar acts now got snoop dog a t.v. Game show with Martha Stewart which shows both changing morals and less racism .
I
Everyone's perception is marred ....

It's called 24 hour news cycle .

We only had local news or if something major national or international happened back in the day for 30 min shows 2 or 3 times a day !

Now they repeat the same story endlessly unroll the next one shows up .

If there is nothing good then they start telling you the dangers of your heating pad or some other scary fear inducing lunacy !

And DOCTOR WHO HAS BEEN PREACHY FROM THE BEGINNING !!!!!

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back