Doctor Who opinions

I actually like Jodie's take on the Doctor so far, I'm just not sure about the episodes and hope things get better. Like Phez said above with the others you could tell almost from the start that they worked where as this one is still stumbling.

I know the Doctor has had atrocious costumes in the past, but.... this is an atrocious costume.

Anyway, the only real beef I have is she lacks an aura of confidence.

There were moments of it, I agree. And the confidence is there on the page. But as performed she often comes across anxious, confused, worried. Her demeanor is more pleading with her companions to listen to her instead of expecting them to.

The only analogy I can think of is "Chuck" vs. James Bond. Although not nearly as extreme a difference, it's just a comparison.

I've not written her off, mind you. Bring on ep 3!

Episode 3 was amazing, it was thought-provoking and very moving at times.

The only criticism I would have about it is the time manipulator (the guy in the leather jacket), needed more back story but I can see him reappearing in later episodes.

After taking a break from the show, my wife and I started watching the last capaldi season. For about the first six episodes or so it has been really good. The vibe seems less overblown, more grounded, and Bill is a great companion, as is Nardole. It felt considerably less "Moffaty."

And then the space monks came.

We just finished the episode where Bill "consents" to the space monks and we are headed into the next episode which is apparently the space monk nazi takeover of Earth.

My concern is that the season is about to get more "Moffaty" in the sense of big, overblown plots that seem momentous but (1) actually don't have a ton of long term repercussions, and (2) are rather haphazardly strung together, but which (3) seek to cover that all with a smokescreen of big emotional moments and an implication of high stakes that actually won't end up mattering a ton in the end.

I hope I'm wrong about that.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Too tired to watch this last night ( I feel asleep on the sofa) so I caught it this morning:

This episode was one of the most powerful and morally haunting I have ever seen in all my years of watching Dr Who. What a huge difference in the quality of writing between last week and this . It consistantly challenged me whilst watching it, though by the end I thought it was one of the very best ever, but with a couple of very direct caveats.

This isn't a Dr Who I can really easily recognise.

The sci fi elements were fairly weak, as was the villian, he simply didn't feel menacing or clever enough to be at all as calculating as he was supposed to be , far too much a "pretty" boy ,as opposed to a pretty strong and cunning opponent. But for most of the rest of the cast, well that script and the period and material it dealt with sent all the scores rocketing skyward , with some outstanding performances, Vinette Robinson and Bradley Walsh being particularly strong.

However, in choosing to deal with this point in time and its place in history it was also damned uncomfortable viewing at times, and as such a dangerously controversial choice for a popular family Sunday nights viewing.

Yet I applaud it for going in this direction for once. No way could you have watched this and not have been moved ,one way or another , nor could you simply dismiss this as just a worthless piece of junk entertainment,like the vast quantity of such . This had weight, consequence and an educational value, and thats a rare thing to say of a Dr Who episode ever. It will also probably be one of the most discussed.

However, certain elements were far too "on the nose" for me, that conversation between Yaz and Ryan behind the dump bins was far too preachy , PC and clumsy, certainly compared to the carefully considered moments shared with Rosa. And there was far too much lecturing at times which didn't work well, as opposed to the shockingly powerful scenes that did, but I guess for the younger generations perhaps that was a necessity.

Overall, done once, and in the way that they did it, this had real value and power as an episode that really lifted the quality of the programme . It engaged my curiosity and interest, it made me think and react to it and it managed to make a real difference to the entire new series .

Next week : Spiders and how to live in peacefull co existence ( or probably not) with them. Great choice for scream out loud villians , I'd bet a fair proportion of the female audience will end up hiding behind their sofas.

Last edited:
I agree with most everything that has been said about last nights episode. It was one of the most thought provoking episodes of Doctor Who ever and it was also very hard to watch at times because you knew this really happened, except for the Doctor Who elements, which made it that much more powerful. When I saw the coming attractions for this last week I was really worried how they were going to do this and didn't really expect much, boy was I surprised.

I had to fast forward throughout Rosa, not because I didn't like the episode, but because I felt uncomfortable and self-aware watching it.

You know an episode's good when it's not just entertaining, but thought-provoking as well.

Personally I think "Rosa" is an exceedingly strong ep. Don't get to hung up on the accents, though! :)
Sorry- I have lived in the deep south for decades and those cartoony southern accents were way over the top. I know it was a British interpretation of a foreign culture, but still...

The episode was very strong and serious in tone even with such a weak villain. I did like how Ryan took the initiative and sent the guy into the past, but I was surprised a bit that the Doctor let it go without saying a thing about it. IMO if you send a known criminal with talent for meddling with history into the past you are just asking for trouble

For the first time in a VERY LONG time, Doctor Who felt very, "classic." It reminded me VERY much in development and story telling in line with the very beginning of the show, where the Doctor, Ian, Barbara and Susan got caught up in a moment in history and had to help it play out.

From the opening credits running before the episode starts, to the Doctor and her three companions landing in the middle of a big event in time. This was a true "origins" Doctor Who story in every sense.

Sorry- I have lived in the deep south for decades and those cartoony southern accents were way over the top. I know it was a British interpretation of a foreign culture, but still...

The episode was very strong and serious in tone even with such a weak villain. I did like how Ryan took the initiative and sent the guy into the past, but I was surprised a bit that the Doctor let it go without saying a thing about it. IMO if you send a known criminal with talent for meddling with history into the past you are just asking for trouble

Compared the Hartnell era Wild West episode, they were downright oscar worthy :)

Since I was talking about confidence, I must acknowledge she had it in spades when confronting the bad guy.

I liked the "oh crap, we didn't actually want to be PRESENT when Rosa did her thing", but I also think they only went halfway, dramatically. If the story's going to go there, go all the way. Force the white companion (sorry, I haven't retained names yet) or even the Doctor to be the person demanding her seat. (or the person the bus driver is forcing her to move for)

If the story's going to go there, go all the way. Force the white companion (sorry, I haven't retained names yet) or even the Doctor to be the person demanding her seat. (or the person the bus driver is forcing her to move for)

That's exactly what they did. Graham got up to give his seat to two white passengers getting on, expecting Team TARDIS could leave the bus when the Doctor told him no, they have to stay. With that, Graham became the white passenger that Rosa's row had to be vacated for.

Good point. I guess they just didn't use the full dramatic potential of the situation, of Graham actually standing there in front of her asking for the seat (and then the bus driver taking it from there). Him just standing toward the front of the bus was weak, and since he'd just stood up anyway, he did have an empty seat to go back to.

He didn't have a seat to go back to, he gave up his seat and the unoccupied one beside him to a couple that got on at that stop. That stop brought the bus to eleven white passengers, with him as number eleven when he stood up. There's no need to have him ask for the seat, as Rosa's row was legally required to be vacated as soon as there was an eleventh white passenger.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back