Doctor Who opinions

Behold!
The 14th Doctor.
Doctor Who.jpg

TazMan2000

"I wear fezes now. Fezes are cool."

Just because she starts out in this outfit doesn't necessarily mean that she'll stick with it for the entire run. :rolleyes

I'm sorry, I just can't. This isn't a knock on Jodi this show has been going downhill for a bit. I turned it off a little over halfway and I was not upset that I would miss anything.

A lot of things bothered me about the last episode, the sunglasses the Doctor pulled out of her pocket claiming to have got them from a historical figure (sorry, can't remember the name, not had my morning cuppa yet ) even though she only just got them clothes from a charity shop and no Tardis.

I liked the look of the Tardis at first, then I saw them yellow pillars, linked that with her having a yellow sonic and boom, lazy righting came to mind.

Good grief, that was fairly disappointing. What a step backwards.

First in the firing line, the story was almost as pointless and depressingly dull as the Doctors three new companions. Its a pity she didn't picked them up one at a time instead of enmass, so they had more of an interesting backstory to go with them.As it stands , l just cannot find anything at all compelling in their characters.
I mean what is the point of Yaz?

Ryan, well, yeah he's obviously supposed to be channeling Finn from Star Wars and thus is once again cursed with being the painfully unfunny comic relief, and then there is Graham brought in there for the timely fatherly advise and such ,though he seems likely to be fated to die from an early heart attack running after Jodi and the others, but Yaz?

She looks like she got lost wandering in from any day time TV soap, which unfortunately , listening to all the regional accents in this episode ,actually made it felt more like a bizzarre holiday episode of "Coronation Street" (complete with the usual bad British dentistry) than a sci fi series . With, I have to say it ,Jodi playing an over stressed , hyperactive blabbering holiday rep, trying desperately to cheer up her lost and unhappy daytripping party with a verbal torrent of pointless promises and uselessly obvious commentary.
This had some of the worst lines I've ever heard in the series and thats up against some stiff competition as well as some "rubbish" monsters. And I do mean rubbish monsters. Dirty linnen has never felt so threatening.

And don't get me started on the "New" Tardis. WTF!!! It looked like she'd got in a Klingon interior designer and then decided it wasn't dark enough, so ended up nicking from every miserable OTT sci fi set design ever.

If you are going to deliberately make the Doctor a woman ,then at least make her a memorable one. "Killing Eve" is a shining example of how take predominately strong cast of female leads and make them brilliantly original and interesting. If they got even even a quarter of that talent transported into this series they would improve it by a huge margin.

As it stands now this was just a horribly mediocre story shot in an expensive location, with good actors that were underwhelmingly utilized by a terrible script that just wasn't worth the money they spent on it.

The only thing that works for me is the Theme music & I quite like the way you walk through a police box 'porch' when entering the TARDIS

The rest was blah

J

"Killing Eve" is a shining example of how take predominately strong cast of female leads and make them brilliantly original and interesting. If they got even even a quarter of that talent transported into this series they would improve it by a huge margin.

Imagine Villanelle as The Doctor. That would kill :lol

The whole point of making "The Doctor" a woman and certainly as it was portrayed across the media as that , was that it was TIME that a woman was cast in the role. It was time for a change!

I had absolutely zero argument with this.

The series had been spiralling downward for a while, with an overall story quality that was often way below what I would have reasonable expected of it, with more than its fairer share of truely awful episodes. I was hoping that when this Moffat era came to end, along with Peters Doctor ,that a new broom would sweep somewhat clean and regenerate the series.

Two episodes in and I am definitely not feeling that.

I really enjoyed the female version of the Master. Michelle Gomez brought at the very least, a delightful deranged eccentricity to Missy.I was sorry to see her go.
I had hoped Jodi might bring something similarly unexpected, but there is so far really nothing there.

Nice hair, good teeth and a fair complexion, much like David T, but so far it feels like she was directly chosen because she could imitate him, and thats as boring as hell, it brings nothing new to the role. Its in part the Clara effect, shes just too normal and none descript to pass muster as an interesting Doctor. Her main characteristic so far seems to be talking too fast ,too much and about nothing in particular, and some of the lines spouted in this episode made me want to weep.

For all that this far trumpeted change to the Doctor would bring , well, so far it just hasn't. They played it too safe, too bland and its pointedly failed to mark itself out as the promised event that would significantly move the perception of how a leading character roles can be played and improved by altering the gender stereotype.

Want to watch a series that has done that? Try "Killing Eve". Its as totally far fetched as a story as the very best of Dr Who, but you'll buy into it because of the absolutely brilliant way the lead female characters are written and played, just like their male counterparts, and how they constantly and cleverly subvert the usual role stereo types to really astonishing effect at times.

I personally now think they jumped too early and played way too safe with their choice of actress. Phoebe Waller Bridge was strongly tipped to be the next Doctor and lord ,did they miss a tremendous opportunity when they went with Jodi. I hope they can develop her as they go along, but its going to be an uphill struggle from what i can see (and the rest of the cast).

I disagree with you. Sure, make her memorable, the same as any other Doctor is memorable. But not "as a woman." She's the Doctor, she just happens to be female. Just like Four just happened to have curly hair, or Eleven just happened to have a thing for Fez.

That's how things ought to be. When casting the Doctor, they should have gotten the best actors they could find, regardless of gender, race, sexual orientation or anything else, put them in a room and decided which one was the superior actor for the role. That's how things ought to work, but that's not how things work anymore, especially at the BBC. Instead, no matter what kind of Doctor she turns out to be, there will always be a question in most people's minds if she got the job because of her genitals. Whether she's good or bad, she will always have that cloud hanging over her head. That's what gender politics has brought us.

The whole point of making "The Doctor" a woman and certainly as it was portrayed across the media as that , was that it was TIME that a woman was cast in the role. It was time for a change!

And that's entirely the wrong way for people to look at it. It isn't time for a change unless you're being sexist. The time for a female Doctor is when a woman happens to be the strongest candidate for the role, full stop. The same is true for the first black Doctor or first gay Doctor or whatever. I couldn't care less about the gender or the skin color or the sexual orientation of the Doctor, I care if they went for the best ACTOR, not the best female actor or the best black actor or the best gay actor, but the best actor they could get. But that's not what the BBC is doing these days. They are blatantly sexist, blatantly racist, deciding that more women and minorities have to be part of their staff, not because they're the best qualified, but because they have the right genitalia or skin color. Skill and talent? Who cares! This isn't about objective value, it's about political correctness. Doctor Who is just the latest victim of it.

One of the issues I see with the development of the companions is the sudden introduction of all 3. I mean, we're 2 episodes in, and I've seen a lot of "Yaz is useless! Ryan's all 'sorry about my dyspraxia'!" While I do like that the Doctor is traveling with a group again, and not just sexy lady #6; in the past, the crew has taken their time to come aboard.
Tegan/Adric/Nyssa/Turlough is the easy comparison for me, because that 4/5 were my Doctors as a kid. They all got their own episodes to shine and make the decision to come aboard.
But in new Who, Rose/Mickey/Jack came along organically, and even Amy/Rory/River/Arthur evolved as a group despite all being related.
I like when the companions come from different backgrounds, so that they can represent the change in social dynamics over time.

Putting all 3 into the show, along with a new Doctor, all at once puts the burden of character establishment for all of them at the beginning of the show. I'm sure that they'll all get some individually focused episodes, but it might have been smarter to delay them joining up until those episodes came along.

I was having some high hopes since Chibnall had a big part in Torchwood but there is none of that feel in this.
After watching the first episode with Eccleston/Piper I was excited to see the next episode.
I could tell from Dave Tennant's first episode that his character worked well with the other characters and wanted to see more.
When Russell T Davies left and Moffet took over he also started with all new actors and blew it out of the
water with 11th hour, I was really looking forward to seeing the second episode of the season.

I watched the first episode this season and actually forgot to watch or record the second one (I had to go back and download it).
Neither one was particularly good (ok but not good). I am really hoping this gets better and it just takes a few more episodes
for Chibnall and the actors to get up to speed.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back