Doctor Who opinions

I haven't watched the new special, but I think her decision to stay on next season proves that Moffat has lost the plot. Story wise, hers ended with the season finale. Her sticking around now is totally anticlimactic and basically just shows Moffat is a lousy storyteller or at least a lousy show runner. And I say this as someone who thought last season was ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While I respect your opinion, to me Moffat is one of the greatest writers in the world. But I agree that Clara shouldn't have stayed, although judging by the title for the first episode of series 9, theres still something for her character arc. Unless they introduce a new companion then it looks like she'll stay for a while. And I'm not looking forward to that.

What's everyone's favorite episode by season? Mine are:
Dalek
The Girl In The Fireplace
Human Nature/Family Of Blood
The Doctor's Daughter
The Waters Of Mars
The Lodger
Closing Time
The Bells Of Saint John
The Day Of The Doctor
Dark Waters/Death In Heaven

Please join in and tell me what you think!

Apparently CSI: Cyber is going to try to break Doctor Who's Guinness award for most simulcast show in the world with over 150 countries participating, I personally find this appalling.

Given the current popularity of the show, I'm guessing this comment wont get too many likes, but...

I loved the show as a kid in the 80's, but now...apparently we can update the doctor to a new actor, we can get new sidekicks, we can change the tardis to a police box that no one uses anymore because it's slightly less awkward than the telephone box that no one uses anymore, we can change the magic wand/screwdriver....

but Daleks still apparently must always look like something a 1960's era prop team built out of things found in their garage.

I agree with you, but personally, I'm sick and tired of the absurd overuse of the Daleks and Cybermen. Enough already. There doesn't have to be an episode about them in every single series. Put them on the shelf for a couple of years. Trotting them out every couple of episodes is really annoying.

I haven't watched the new special, but I think her decision to stay on next season proves that Moffat has lost the plot. Story wise, hers ended with the season finale. Her sticking around now is totally anticlimactic and basically just shows Moffat is a lousy storyteller or at least a lousy show runner. And I say this as someone who thought last season was ok

As far as I'm concerned, Moffat is awful. He's a great writer, he's a horrible showrunner. He's trying to put his mark on the show by playing fanboy. That's why when Capaldi came along, he said he wasn't going to let Moffat do to his character what he did to Matt Smith's. Unfortunately, Capaldi's Doctor didn't do so well in the first series, some of it was Clara, who I hate with a burning passion, but a lot of it was how he chose to portray the Doctor, much like Matt Smith did his, instead of being a genius in a box, he was a tortured near lunatic with a god complex. That's not why I watch Doctor Who. Now that Clara is staying (I cheered when I heard she was leaving), I very well may stop watching Doctor Who until she's gone and Moffat is off the show.

As far as I'm concerned, Moffat is awful. He's a great writer, he's a horrible showrunner. He's trying to put his mark on the show by playing fanboy. That's why when Capaldi came along, he said he wasn't going to let Moffat do to his character what he did to Matt Smith's. Unfortunately, Capaldi's Doctor didn't do so well in the first series, some of it was Clara, who I hate with a burning passion, but a lot of it was how he chose to portray the Doctor, much like Matt Smith did his, instead of being a genius in a box, he was a tortured near lunatic with a god complex. That's not why I watch Doctor Who. Now that Clara is staying (I cheered when I heard she was leaving), I very well may stop watching Doctor Who until she's gone and Moffat is off the show.

I'll likely watch it, but...I dunno. Moffat needs to go. I mean, we're not at JNT levels of crapdom, but the storytelling is just so far below what it ought to be at this point, and the show just feels like it panders and has no real direction.

I completely agree in terms of Daleks and Cybermen, it loses all suspense, assuming anyone still has any for them other than legacy, it'd be a really cool move if both weren't seen for at least 2 more series.

I agree with you, but personally, I'm sick and tired of the absurd overuse of the Daleks and Cybermen. Enough already. There doesn't have to be an episode about them in every single series. Put them on the shelf for a couple of years. Trotting them out every couple of episodes is really annoying.
It seems like with the pre-Eccleston (tempted to say Original) shows you would get Cybermen or Daleks in two or three episodes per Doctor, not two or three episodes per series/season.

The Third Doctor never even fought Cybermen, and faced off against the Daleks just two times, and I personally think that they should replicate this hiatus for the two most famous monsters.

The Third Doctor never even fought Cybermen, and faced off against the Daleks just two times, and I personally think that they should replicate this hiatus for the two most famous monsters.

Yeah, I actually enjoyed the reappearance of the Zygons in the 50th. That was cool.

I also liked the reappearance of the Ice Warriors in the last Matt Smith season. I'm just not on board with Clara anymore. The ending of the season felt good. I forgave a lot of what might otherwise be seen as grave weaknesses of last season, because I thought it was building towards her LEAVING and that actually impacting the Doctor. Instead....meh. Doesn't matter. She's back and they'll go hopping around the galaxy and who cares that Danny died, right?

It basically jsut seems like teh show is rudderless. And while I actually like how they developed Clara this season, I prefer that development to actually have an outcome.

Ultimately, that's the big critique I have of Moffat. He comes up with these bighugelarge plot arcs, and he NEVER executes them well. Tehy always feel rushed. I honestly cannot remember large swaths of the last few seasons that he's been running the show. Just, don't remember them hardly at all. Why is that? I'll tell you. BECAUSE THEY DON'T ****ING MATTER. Tehy get introduced, and in the moment you think "Oh, this'll be big! This'll be meaningful!" and then, poof, hand-waived away by the end of the season. It gets to where the show is actually much more like the old series, where episodes happened...but nothing really mattered. And that would be FINE if that was ALL they were doing -- just showing otherwise unconnected tales that don't try to build to anything. But Moffat can't do that. He has to throw in some season-arc or two, and then **** the bed at the end.

The only real thing I have against the Moffat era is the companions, the only new recurring character I've liked in Doctor Who since 2010 has been Craig from "The Lodger" and "Closing Time" but to be honest the only real series finale I've enjoyed for the most part has been "Dark Waters" and "Death In Heaven", but I hate that Clara stayed as well, but I still find the show to be the best currently airing.

It seems like with the pre-Eccleston (tempted to say Original) shows you would get Cybermen or Daleks in two or three episodes per Doctor, not two or three episodes per series/season.

It's just easier to take old enemies and reuse them than it is to keep coming up with new and interesting ones. Even things that Moffat came up with himself, like the Weeping Angels, have been reused and ultimately ruined because he's a lazy writer. The Angels were great in Blink. They were scary. The never needed to come back. It's just clear that any critter that gets any kind of traction with the fans will come back again and again and again. Why? We've already seen them. Give us something else.

Yeah, I actually enjoyed the reappearance of the Zygons in the 50th. That was cool.

But they weren't back every single series. Once in a while is great. There are tons of bad guys from the classic series, pick one or two per season to revisit. Don't just pick one or two and revisit them over and over and over again.

I also liked the reappearance of the Ice Warriors in the last Matt Smith season. I'm just not on board with Clara anymore. The ending of the season felt good. I forgave a lot of what might otherwise be seen as grave weaknesses of last season, because I thought it was building towards her LEAVING and that actually impacting the Doctor. Instead....meh. Doesn't matter. She's back and they'll go hopping around the galaxy and who cares that Danny died, right?

Clara and Danny never had the slightest chemistry at all. They lied to each other constantly, they never seemed to care when the other wasn't around. Now while I'm not a big fan of couples on Doctor Who, Amy and Rory were a great couple. They actually liked each other, they wanted to be around each other and they had a great relationship. Clara and Danny sucked.

It basically jsut seems like teh show is rudderless. And while I actually like how they developed Clara this season, I prefer that development to actually have an outcome.

I haven't liked Clara since she showed up as the impossible girl. That whole storyline fizzled IMO and she hasn't been worthwhile since. Maybe it's because she's been paired with such weak doctors.

Ultimately, that's the big critique I have of Moffat. He comes up with these bighugelarge plot arcs, and he NEVER executes them well. Tehy always feel rushed. I honestly cannot remember large swaths of the last few seasons that he's been running the show. Just, don't remember them hardly at all. Why is that? I'll tell you. BECAUSE THEY DON'T ****ING MATTER. Tehy get introduced, and in the moment you think "Oh, this'll be big! This'll be meaningful!" and then, poof, hand-waived away by the end of the season. It gets to where the show is actually much more like the old series, where episodes happened...but nothing really mattered. And that would be FINE if that was ALL they were doing -- just showing otherwise unconnected tales that don't try to build to anything. But Moffat can't do that. He has to throw in some season-arc or two, and then **** the bed at the end.

Moffat is a fanboy at heart. He isn't a showrunner, he's a fanatic for the show and he's an attention hound. He wants to write Doctor Who fanfic and have people love him for it. They don't. They hate him. I'd rather see things like the classic series where you had storylines that were done in one (or two or three, depending on the format). They don't matter, they're not coming back, it's just a couple of hours of entertaining television that don't make a difference in the long run. Moffat presents those, then pretends that they actually matter. RTD made telling season-long arcs the norm, maybe we shouldn't keep doing that. What really needs to stop is this absurd one-upsmanship that they've had where every season has to be bigger and better than the last. Just tell good stories! Moffat can keep the dick-waving to himself.

Clara and Danny never had the slightest chemistry at all. They lied to each other constantly, they never seemed to care when the other wasn't around. Now while I'm not a big fan of couples on Doctor Who, Amy and Rory were a great couple. They actually liked each other, they wanted to be around each other and they had a great relationship. Clara and Danny sucked.

I thought they had believable attraction to each other, and I appreciated that Clara was facing this dilemma between choosing a "normal" life with Danny, and choosing an adventurous life with the Doctor. I appreciated seeing the strain of that on both of her relationships. The problem was that, rather than end it properly with the final episode of the season, they just hit a "reset" button with the whole thing in the Christmas special. It was just tonally all wrong, and it proved to me that Moffat is more interested in indulging himself than he is with doing what's right for the story.

I haven't liked Clara since she showed up as the impossible girl. That whole storyline fizzled IMO and she hasn't been worthwhile since. Maybe it's because she's been paired with such weak doctors.

I don't think they were weak Doctors. I think they were weakly written. Like, Adric was a character who was written very poorly. The writers at that time had no idea what to do with him. The end result was a boring character, but I see a character that COULD have been great. With Clara, the whole "impossible girl" thing just made a BIGBIGBIG story, which then was waved away as not mattering after the finale. That's my biggest gripe with Moffat. He spends all this time building stuff up, and then never manages to effectively follow through in the end. I actually liked this last season UNTIL the Christmas special undid everything that mattered from what had happeend. All that meant was taht the last season ended up being a pointless exercise.

I'm hoping next season will improve, but if it doesn't...I think I'm only gonna watch occasionally.

Moffat is a fanboy at heart. He isn't a showrunner, he's a fanatic for the show and he's an attention hound. He wants to write Doctor Who fanfic and have people love him for it. They don't. They hate him. I'd rather see things like the classic series where you had storylines that were done in one (or two or three, depending on the format). They don't matter, they're not coming back, it's just a couple of hours of entertaining television that don't make a difference in the long run. Moffat presents those, then pretends that they actually matter. RTD made telling season-long arcs the norm, maybe we shouldn't keep doing that. What really needs to stop is this absurd one-upsmanship that they've had where every season has to be bigger and better than the last. Just tell good stories! Moffat can keep the dick-waving to himself.

That's the thing. RTD didn't exactly have season arcs. He had seasons of episodes that only came together AS arcs at the very end. that meant that his episodes stood on their own just fine, but also worked together to create a finale. I thought that was great. Moffat's approach, though, is to have an episode that's otherwise a standalone one, and then shoehorn in some big "Uh oh! Plot arc incoming!!!" bit at the very end. Then his finales end up feeling rushed and thrown together, whereas RTD's always felt like "ohhhh yeah! They DID do that, didn't they? Cool!"

I thought they had believable attraction to each other, and I appreciated that Clara was facing this dilemma between choosing a "normal" life with Danny, and choosing an adventurous life with the Doctor. I appreciated seeing the strain of that on both of her relationships. The problem was that, rather than end it properly with the final episode of the season, they just hit a "reset" button with the whole thing in the Christmas special. It was just tonally all wrong, and it proved to me that Moffat is more interested in indulging himself than he is with doing what's right for the story.

I just didn't buy it at all. I hated Danny with a passion, but it seems like Clara goes to a new school, sees Danny and all of a sudden, a romance springs up out of nowhere. It didn't have any time to grow, it was just there. It was not remotely convincing, especially the way they both spent a lot of time lying to each other. What a bunch of shallow crap.

I don't think they were weak Doctors. I think they were weakly written. Like, Adric was a character who was written very poorly. The writers at that time had no idea what to do with him. The end result was a boring character, but I see a character that COULD have been great. With Clara, the whole "impossible girl" thing just made a BIGBIGBIG story, which then was waved away as not mattering after the finale. That's my biggest gripe with Moffat. He spends all this time building stuff up, and then never manages to effectively follow through in the end. I actually liked this last season UNTIL the Christmas special undid everything that mattered from what had happeend. All that meant was taht the last season ended up being a pointless exercise.

I'm hoping next season will improve, but if it doesn't...I think I'm only gonna watch occasionally.

I was at that point with the end of Matt Smith, I almost didn't watch the Peter Capaldi series until he said he was going to fight against Moffat's fanboyism so I gave it a chance. Whatever he did to "fight", it wasn't nearly enough, I was wholly unimpressed with Capaldi as the Doctor.

As for weak doctors, the writing is what defines them. Yes, a good actor can improve the portrayal, but if the stories are bad and the rest of the acting is bad, even the greatest doctor can't save it.

That's the thing. RTD didn't exactly have season arcs. He had seasons of episodes that only came together AS arcs at the very end. that meant that his episodes stood on their own just fine, but also worked together to create a finale. I thought that was great. Moffat's approach, though, is to have an episode that's otherwise a standalone one, and then shoehorn in some big "Uh oh! Plot arc incoming!!!" bit at the very end. Then his finales end up feeling rushed and thrown together, whereas RTD's always felt like "ohhhh yeah! They DID do that, didn't they? Cool!"

RTD's plot arcs were a bit more subtle but they were still there. You could go back and find all the references he set up for BAD WOLF and all of that. It wasn't an afterthought, it was planned all along. Moffat's plot arcs are blatant and never come together in the end. You get a feeling for what you're supposed to be expecting but you're always disappointed.

I just didn't buy it at all. I hated Danny with a passion, but it seems like Clara goes to a new school, sees Danny and all of a sudden, a romance springs up out of nowhere. It didn't have any time to grow, it was just there. It was not remotely convincing, especially the way they both spent a lot of time lying to each other. What a bunch of shallow crap.

To be honest, I found it sort of believable, given who Clara was and who Danny was. Danny was a kind of broken vet who had shut himself off from the world in many ways. Clara kind of pursued him in that respect. Clara was a sort of flighty girl who wanted adventure, but wasn't entirely ready to risk her heart (hence the lying). To me, that rang very, very true and actually kind of realistic. I've seen that happen before with couples. I mean, I agree, they could've developed them coming together better, but under the circumstances, I still found the relationship to be believable in the context of the show, especially including its dysfunctions.

I was at that point with the end of Matt Smith, I almost didn't watch the Peter Capaldi series until he said he was going to fight against Moffat's fanboyism so I gave it a chance. Whatever he did to "fight", it wasn't nearly enough, I was wholly unimpressed with Capaldi as the Doctor.

I think there's only so much an actor can do. I mean, Capaldi doesn't yet have the clout of fan appreciation to play dictator the way, say, Tom Baker could in his waning years. And even Baker couldn't overcome JNT's worst impulses (ugh...that burgundy-colored outfit...). I thought Capaldi was great, but his material was weak. I could see him trying to put more weight into it, but the problem seemed to me that the writing was sort of inconsistent. Without a sense of direction for how they wanted this character to develop, he just ends up looking like a grumpy madman. Which is fine, but the problem is that he can end up turning into a one-note character, kind of the way that Colin Baker did with his Doctor. They set him up to be suffering from a regeneration gone awry, which made him kind of loony and cross at his companions, and ended up sticking with that as his "schtick" to the point where he was basically "the obnoxious Doctor," right down to how he dressed.

As for weak doctors, the writing is what defines them. Yes, a good actor can improve the portrayal, but if the stories are bad and the rest of the acting is bad, even the greatest doctor can't save it.

I actually think the acting itself has been quite good. The people on this show are clearly talented. But there's only so far they can take the material they're given, and I guess that Moffat is only inclined to take backtalk from Benedict Cumberbatch when it comes to designing his characters. Moffat is, as you say, a fanboy in that sense -- as evidenced by his instinct to have Holmes have no weaknesses and just be awesome. It was Cumberbatch who said "No, he needs to have flaws and weaknesses, or it just gets boring. Let's make him socially inept, and that's where he needs Watson to help."

RTD's plot arcs were a bit more subtle but they were still there. You could go back and find all the references he set up for BAD WOLF and all of that. It wasn't an afterthought, it was planned all along. Moffat's plot arcs are blatant and never come together in the end. You get a feeling for what you're supposed to be expecting but you're always disappointed.[/QUOTE]

To be honest, I found it sort of believable, given who Clara was and who Danny was. Danny was a kind of broken vet who had shut himself off from the world in many ways. Clara kind of pursued him in that respect. Clara was a sort of flighty girl who wanted adventure, but wasn't entirely ready to risk her heart (hence the lying). To me, that rang very, very true and actually kind of realistic. I've seen that happen before with couples. I mean, I agree, they could've developed them coming together better, but under the circumstances, I still found the relationship to be believable in the context of the show, especially including its dysfunctions.

There's an unfortunate tendency today for creators to make characters that aren't just flawed, but entirely broken, to the point that they have a hard time making it in the real world. This isn't just Doctor Who but everywhere it seems. Here, instead of taking a broken character like Danny and fixing him, Moffat just put him into a co-dependent relationship so he didn't have to deal with his brokenness. I'm glad he died before he and Clara could produce any broken kids.

I think there's only so much an actor can do. I mean, Capaldi doesn't yet have the clout of fan appreciation to play dictator the way, say, Tom Baker could in his waning years. And even Baker couldn't overcome JNT's worst impulses (ugh...that burgundy-colored outfit...). I thought Capaldi was great, but his material was weak. I could see him trying to put more weight into it, but the problem seemed to me that the writing was sort of inconsistent. Without a sense of direction for how they wanted this character to develop, he just ends up looking like a grumpy madman. Which is fine, but the problem is that he can end up turning into a one-note character, kind of the way that Colin Baker did with his Doctor. They set him up to be suffering from a regeneration gone awry, which made him kind of loony and cross at his companions, and ended up sticking with that as his "schtick" to the point where he was basically "the obnoxious Doctor," right down to how he dressed.

I think there's probably a considerable amount he could do, but to a certain degree, Capaldi is as much a fanboy as Moffat is. He's always dreamed of being the Doctor and I'm sure he doesn't want to do anything to jeopardize that. Unfortunately, as you point out, the writing just isn't good and, truth be told, hasn't really been that great since Doctor Who respawned. I hated RTD with a passion, I hate Moffat with a passion, but I will say that I was a bit more excited with some of the things RTD was doing than I have been with anything Moffat has done. I thought Moffat would save the show. I was wrong.

I actually think the acting itself has been quite good. The people on this show are clearly talented. But there's only so far they can take the material they're given, and I guess that Moffat is only inclined to take backtalk from Benedict Cumberbatch when it comes to designing his characters. Moffat is, as you say, a fanboy in that sense -- as evidenced by his instinct to have Holmes have no weaknesses and just be awesome. It was Cumberbatch who said "No, he needs to have flaws and weaknesses, or it just gets boring. Let's make him socially inept, and that's where he needs Watson to help."

I can't stand Sherlock so I won't say anything about that. I saw the first season, hated it, refuse to go back. I think Moffat is a fine writer on his own, he's produced some great episodes for Doctor Who, but when they handed him the reins, they screwed up the show to no end. He's making fundamentally defective Doctors and I can't stand that. The Doctor is supposed to be awesome. Not perfect by any means, but he's a 900-year old Timelord in a magical blue box. The companions are supposed to be characters the audience can identify with as they go along on the adventure. I can't identify with any of the companions anymore, maybe because I'm older than the target audience, but if that's the future of humanity, stop the planet, I want to get off now. Worse, I can't look up to any of these Doctors. I see no wisdom there. I see only ego and failure. I don't want to watch a show about ego and failure. If I wanted that, I'd go watch reality TV.

Those are fair critiques. I guess I've kind of gotten away of hoping for my ideal vision of any show to occur, and tend to have more of a view towards an ideal version of what the show is giving me. The problem is, the show itself isn't coming anywhere near close to that. I thought we might have been doing that some with Clara's exit, and that her exit would usher in an era where Capaldi's Doctor could come into his own, but it seems not.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back