Doctor Who opinions

How would he know Bill was going to be there?

Thanks to the miracle of time dilation, he would have had years (or months or weeks, whatever, can't remember if they actually gave a timescale) to prepare between seeing Bill step out of the Tardis and her capture. He might not have known the exact period she was from, but could make a reasonable guess from the clothes that it was within 20 or 30 years either way of his time as PM. It seems sensible to err on the side of caution, not knowing for sure if she would recognise him. Plus, he does love a good disguise, does the Master, by 'eck.

Even if he wasn't working in the hospital already, the Master (like the Doctor) would probably have little trouble getting accepted and carving himself out a niche. It's what he does. It's what they both do, in fact. That sexy Gallifreyan charisma, etc. Oh, and a bit of mind control, though the Master appears to have a fairly poor success rate when considered over the course of his various incarnations.

Thanks to the miracle of time dilation, he would have had years (or months or weeks, whatever, can't remember if they actually gave a timescale) to prepare between seeing Bill step out of the Tardis and her capture. He might not have known the exact period she was from, but could make a reasonable guess from the clothes that it was within 20 or 30 years either way of his time as PM. It seems sensible to err on the side of caution, not knowing for sure if she would recognise him. Plus, he does love a good disguise, does the Master, by 'eck.

Even if he wasn't working in the hospital already, the Master (like the Doctor) would probably have little trouble getting accepted and carving himself out a niche. It's what he does. It's what they both do, in fact. That sexy Gallifreyan charisma, etc. Oh, and a bit of mind control, though the Master appears to have a fairly poor success rate when considered over the course of his various incarnations.

Moreso, how would he know the dr would show up? He claimed he always shows up at distress calls, but he can't deal with ALL of them.

Only one more week to remember to not read the thread on saturday afternoons until 2018 sometime. :(

Well, i'm assuming most people will have something better to do stateside than troll the who thread all day on christmas....

I thought it had already been established that talking about the program after its first airing is not trolling, but using the thread as designed.

Well, i'm assuming most people will have something better to do stateside than troll the who thread all day on christmas....
You'd be surprised - I'm scheduled to work that day. Holidays generally mean a bit of downtime as we don't have scheduled walk throughs and house duties are minimal. While, I won't be "trolling" much of anything - I'll probably be online more than I'd like to be... I suspect that some folks here just like to ruin other folks' fun, so this will most likely be a thread I'll avoid.

Moreso, how would he know the dr would show up?

Quite possibly he didn't know, just a happy coincidence that the Doctor wandered into the middle of one of his schemes. It wouldn't be the first time... err... "first" according to the episode chronology rather than the Master's personal timeline, anyway... that the Master has tried to raise an army of cybermen for fun and frolics.

Well, as far as we know, The Doctor won't be regenerating until the Xmas Special, currently being filmed (the regeneration in the snow is apparently from that and was only inserted into last weeks pre-titles at the last moment). I've seen the rumours (tying up threads and linking back to the 50th) and blurry-long-range location photos, and I'm excited for Who will be appearing.

Last edited:
177 days until the Christmas Special. If we get a reveal special, it would be fair to guess it might be closer to Christmas.

Doctor Who's ratings are down. This is probably due to a few factors...

The stupidly long break between seasons. Whomever okayed that should have their heads examined.

The lack of "pretty boy" actor. Now, I'm not trying to dismiss Tennant or Smith - who both ended up bringing something special to the role and will treasured for their tenures as the Doctor - I think both have nuances that aren't touted heavily enough. Arguably, season 11 doesn't have a stereotypical pretty actor in any leading role (with apologies to all involved - especially Pearl Mackie).

Capaldi has been an excellent Doctor and along with Mackie and Lucas have done great jobs this season. But none have the "Hot Topic" appeal that the previous seasons enjoyed.

If chasing ratings is the BBC's intention - then going younger might be what they're planning on doing. While I'm all for a tall, redhead Doctor - Marshall is just two years younger than Tennant is now... so I'm not sure he's the answer to what they want.

Kinda wish I hadn't read that, but i'm sorta glad I did. Really wanted to see that, so to speak anyhow, after the all the 50th anniversary stuff. More stoke for tonight now!

Doctor Who's ratings are down. This is probably due to a few factors...

The stupidly long break between seasons. Whomever okayed that should have their heads examined.

The lack of "pretty boy" actor. Now, I'm not trying to dismiss Tennant or Smith - who both ended up bringing something special to the role and will treasured for their tenures as the Doctor - I think both have nuances that aren't touted heavily enough. Arguably, season 11 doesn't have a stereotypical pretty actor in any leading role (with apologies to all involved - especially Pearl Mackie).

Capaldi has been an excellent Doctor and along with Mackie and Lucas have done great jobs this season. But none have the "Hot Topic" appeal that the previous seasons enjoyed.

If chasing ratings is the BBC's intention - then going younger might be what they're planning on doing. While I'm all for a tall, redhead Doctor - Marshall is just two years younger than Tennant is now... so I'm not sure he's the answer to what they want.

Though I agree with what you've said, I for one was happy when 11 regenerated into something more....well, Doctor-like instead of another heart throb type.

As you say--David and Matt both did incredible things with the role...but the Doctor had never before been so completely hand picked for the audience and the companions to swoon over. Though it certainly did cause the fanbase to swell, it's just not so much how I ever thought of The Doctor as being. I liked that Capaldi brought back a little of the magic that i loved from Doctors such as Baker and Pertwee....even if he has sort of turned into an intergalactic clone of Sherlock on occasion.

I guess we'll see what we get next.

Though I agree with what you've said, I for one was happy when 11 regenerated into something more....well, Doctor-like instead of another heart throb type.

As you say--David and Matt both did incredible things with the role...but the Doctor had never before been so completely hand picked for the audience and the companions to swoon over. Though it certainly did cause the fanbase to swell, it's just not so much how I ever thought of The Doctor as being. I liked that Capaldi brought back a little of the magic that i loved from Doctors such as Baker and Pertwee....even if he has sort of turned into an intergalactic clone of Sherlock on occasion.

I guess we'll see what we get next.
I think most Whovians that watched the old series, love Capaldi. Not just how he performed in the role - but the zeal he brought to the series overall - he was an old school fan and showed a lot of love for character and the series.

I wasn't paying much attention when Tennant was cast - so I don't how "hand picked for the audience" he was. I was of the thought he helped build an audience. I do recall a lot of bickering over Smith's casting - thinking he would be an "emo Doctor." Even Smith's first photoshoot sure looked we were getting something much more "Hot Topic" than what we got.

Similarly - while there wasn't an internet to get more scuttlebutt - I do remember some similar bickering over Davison's casting. The difference is - we went from Tom Baker to Peter Davison, two wildly different people both in appearance and in style. On the other hand, one could argue that Tennant and Smith are much more alike.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back