Subscribe
    From
    Gallifrey (Southern Ohio)
    4 Weeks Ago  Jul 16, 2017, 8:42 PM - Re: Doctor Who opinions #826

Wait you mean that wasn't Romona in that trailer
    From
    Los Angeles
    4 Weeks Ago  Jul 16, 2017, 9:18 PM - Re: Doctor Who opinions #827

The Valeyard and The Watcher both super confuse me when I try to put them into the context of the current show.

Actually, The Watcher confused back then.. and now... I mean-- WHAT IS GOING ON.
  3. Mystery Chunk RPF Premium Member PoopaPapaPalps's Avatar
    From
    IA, USA
    4 Weeks Ago  Jul 17, 2017, 12:01 AM - Re: Doctor Who opinions #828

SethS said: View Post
    When did "politically correct" become a pejorative?

Politically correct means not being cruel or negative towards people who have been classically oppressed because of what they are. That's not a bad thing. Generally speaking people make this complaint when they are bummed they can't get a laugh from their sexist/racist joke anymore.
    You kinda answered your own question. It became soured when its well-meaning message was taken as to mean "demean others who don't agree with you" and placed importance on what someone looked like over what they can offer. Ribbing and rough-housing are perfectly normal human behaviors and a sign of a healthy society would be one where we recognize that we're all people of Earth and we can use one another occasionally as the butt of a jokes without intrinsically linking it to be some world-wide societal cancer. The real cancer is the one where we demean and shame people for what appears, superficially, to be a casual "-ist" joke.
    From
    Los Angeles
    4 Weeks Ago  Jul 17, 2017, 12:23 AM - Re: Doctor Who opinions #829

Sure, I get you. But as it's applied here, political correctness is somehow bad because a woman took on a role that was originated by a man, and that is automatically bad. That's what is being said. There's a long way from good natured ribbing to thinking something is bad because a woman is now involved. Has the left pushed it too far-- for sure, but that doesn't mean the core ideals should be considered bad. Feminism is another word that is used negatively when all it means is that women should be equal to men. And yet, people constantly speak of it as a bad thing.

at any rate, I'll stop derailing. The Doctor has been cast regardless of what anyone thinks!
    From
    Kent, UK
    4 Weeks Ago  Jul 17, 2017, 3:10 AM - Re: Doctor Who opinions #830

doctorDWwho said: View Post
    . I don't want to pre judge, but I'm kind of afraid this'll be basically a genderbent Matt Smith cosplay.
    From 13 Questions for the Thirteenth Doctor
    11) What are you going to wear?
    Donít know yet.

12) Is that your costume in the filmed sequence which introduced you as the new Doctor?
    No.
    4 Weeks Ago  Jul 17, 2017, 7:51 AM - Re: Doctor Who opinions #831

timelordjedi777 said: View Post
    My question is where is the Valeyard
    Out in the brickyard.

The Valeyard and The Watcher both super confuse me when I try to put them into the context of the current show.

Actually, The Watcher confused back then.. and now... I mean-- WHAT IS GOING ON.
    I only dimly remember the Watcher, but my recollection is that it was explained as sort of an in-between regeneration that had some kind of time echo. These days the show would probably dismiss it with "Oh, yeah, that. I was experimenting and things went a bit off track. Confused me at the time, but bear in mind I was also wearing a lot of maroon back then."

The Valeyard makes ZERO sense anymore, and kinda reminds me of the Cartmel Master Plan in terms of it being this big deal thing that just kinda never went anywhere.

I guess the thing is that when you're talking about a Doctor from the future visiting the current incarnation, there's always the possibility that later actions "overwrite" that future incarnation, so you aren't bound to use it in the future. "Alternate timeline" and all that.

Anyway, back on point. I think she is a fantastic choice. She was brilliant in Broadchurch and, for me, this really ticks the box of "No, we went with someone for their acting chops, not just their chromosomes." She's also worked with Chibnall before, obviously, and clearly already has a good working relationship with him.

I haven't followed much of the announcement stuff, but from skimming my Facebook feed, the Doctor Who site basically just said something to the effect of "Here's the 13th Doctor!" And that was it. Not "Here's the 13th Doctor, and get ready for a pink TARDIS!" or whathaveyou. No (from what I saw) leaning on the fact that the new Doctor is a woman.

Coupled with the actual actress cast (and given what I've seen her in), I think all of this really does suggest that they were looking for the right actor for the part. Chibnall may have had this in mind when he pitched for the job, even, since he would have already worked with her at the time. So, the story may well be that, from the outset, they knew what kind of Doctor they wanted, and Chibnall always structured the character around her rather than around "and he's a lady now."

To my way of thinking, that suggests a more more cohesive vision of the character as a character, and less as, like, an archetype or just a collection of demographic facts.
    4 Weeks Ago  Jul 17, 2017, 1:39 PM - Re: Doctor Who opinions #832

Solo4114 said: View Post
    Out in the brickyard.

I only dimly remember the Watcher, but my recollection is that it was explained as sort of an in-between regeneration that had some kind of time echo. These days the show would probably dismiss it with "Oh, yeah, that. I was experimenting and things went a bit off track. Confused me at the time, but bear in mind I was also wearing a lot of maroon back then."

The Valeyard makes ZERO sense anymore, and kinda reminds me of the Cartmel Master Plan in terms of it being this big deal thing that just kinda never went anywhere.

I guess the thing is that when you're talking about a Doctor from the future visiting the current incarnation, there's always the possibility that later actions "overwrite" that future incarnation, so you aren't bound to use it in the future. "Alternate timeline" and all that.

Anyway, back on point. I think she is a fantastic choice. She was brilliant in Broadchurch and, for me, this really ticks the box of "No, we went with someone for their acting chops, not just their chromosomes." She's also worked with Chibnall before, obviously, and clearly already has a good working relationship with him.

I haven't followed much of the announcement stuff, but from skimming my Facebook feed, the Doctor Who site basically just said something to the effect of "Here's the 13th Doctor!" And that was it. Not "Here's the 13th Doctor, and get ready for a pink TARDIS!" or whathaveyou. No (from what I saw) leaning on the fact that the new Doctor is a woman.

Coupled with the actual actress cast (and given what I've seen her in), I think all of this really does suggest that they were looking for the right actor for the part. Chibnall may have had this in mind when he pitched for the job, even, since he would have already worked with her at the time. So, the story may well be that, from the outset, they knew what kind of Doctor they wanted, and Chibnall always structured the character around her rather than around "and he's a lady now."

To my way of thinking, that suggests a more more cohesive vision of the character as a character, and less as, like, an archetype or just a collection of demographic facts.
    She also has now said, that he was the one who pushed her to try for the part. And it might have been before it was known he got the job as the showrunner - don't recall that bit off hand. So he got the doctor he wanted. From watching broadchurch - he gets the big benefit of the doubt until well into the first season.
    4 Weeks Ago  Jul 17, 2017, 1:41 PM - Re: Doctor Who opinions #833

I....hmm...I'm not sure I'd say I "enjoyed" the first season of Broadchurch, but I found it compelling and well-made. It was grueling to watch, though, and she was terrific in it. I gather the 2nd season was a bit of a mess, but the 3rd is back on track.

All tolled, I think Chibnall may turn out to be a good showrunner, but we'll have to see. Still, this is solid casting, in my opinion. The real devil will be in the writing and the overall management of the show across a season -- something with which Moffat was...an uneven hand.
    From
    Hull
    4 Weeks Ago  Jul 17, 2017, 2:12 PM - Re: Doctor Who opinions #834

I'd be interested to see if they finally end the gradual increase in size of the sonic screwdriver.
    From
    Los Angeles
    4 Weeks Ago  Jul 17, 2017, 2:52 PM - Re: Doctor Who opinions #835

Well, now The Doctor has smaller hands and nothing to compensate for.
    4 Weeks Ago  Jul 17, 2017, 4:12 PM - Re: Doctor Who opinions #836

I kind of bet they'll keep this sonic since we've only seen it for one season. Maybe introduce a few more colours as seen in the concepts.

Anyway, all the interviews I've read with Chibnall really solidify the feeling Peter was not necessarily forced, but pushed, to leave the show. Which makes me sad, he's a doctor that definitely could've gone on twice the time he had. But of course they needed an attention grab to get the ratings up.
    From
    Gallifrey (Southern Ohio)
    4 Weeks Ago  Jul 17, 2017, 4:17 PM - Re: Doctor Who opinions #837

I hope to Heaven that we never see the maker in the middle of the sonic again.
  13. Member Since
    Jan 2002
    4 Weeks Ago  Jul 18, 2017, 11:33 AM - Re: Doctor Who opinions #838

glunark said: View Post
    I'd be interested to see if they finally end the gradual increase in size of the sonic screwdriver.
    Well, now The Doctor has smaller hands and nothing to compensate for.
    LOL!

#13 - bringing a whole new meaning to Sonic "Screw" Driver.

Just make sure you have fresh batteries and it'll ring yer Cloister Bell!

A vibrator. 13's will be a vibrator is what I'm saying.
    4 Weeks Ago  Jul 18, 2017, 11:43 AM - Re: Doctor Who opinions #839

Benign Robot said: View Post
    LOL!

Disgusting.
    From
    Madison, WI
    4 Weeks Ago  Jul 18, 2017, 12:00 PM - Re: Doctor Who opinions #840

I would prefer to go back to a smaller, simpler sonic like Tennant's.
    From
    Southern California
    4 Weeks Ago  Jul 18, 2017, 4:31 PM - Re: Doctor Who opinions #841

Kylash said: View Post
    I would prefer to go back to a smaller, simpler sonic like Tennant's.
    I agree. Technological devices generally get smaller and less complicated as time passes and they're improved upon, but with the sonic screwdrivers they've gone the other way making them bigger and busier. Capaldi's was so big and complicated that he almost needed a holster to carry it in. Besides which, Jodie Whittaker is just a hair under 5'6" tall, so a smaller simpler sonic would be more practical for her.
    From
    Los Angeles
    4 Weeks Ago  Jul 18, 2017, 4:34 PM - Re: Doctor Who opinions #842

Sonic lipstick obviously

(the system won't let me type in all caps, which made the above funnier)
    From
    Seattle, WA
    4 Weeks Ago  Jul 18, 2017, 5:02 PM - Re: Doctor Who opinions #843

Benign Robot said: View Post
    LOL!

And this is exactly why I'm against a female Doctor. I don't trust them not to make it about the potential UST.
    From
    Southern California
    4 Weeks Ago  Jul 18, 2017, 5:09 PM - Re: Doctor Who opinions #844

Dessa said: View Post
    And this is exactly why I'm against a female Doctor. I don't trust them not to make it about the potential UST.
    What, like they didn't have that with the 10th Doctor and Rose, or the 11th Doctor and Amy?
    4 Weeks Ago  Jul 18, 2017, 6:09 PM - Re: Doctor Who opinions #845

The makers need to take a lead out of the Doctors book: be above gender and sexuality. But they won't, which is why I have such little optimism.
    From
    Seattle, WA
    4 Weeks Ago  Jul 18, 2017, 8:40 PM - Re: Doctor Who opinions #846

Zombie_61 said: View Post
    What, like they didn't have that with the 10th Doctor and Rose, or the 11th Doctor and Amy?
    Oh, look, you just named my two most hated characters in the entire franchise.
    From
    Los Angeles
    4 Weeks Ago  Jul 18, 2017, 9:57 PM - Re: Doctor Who opinions #847

What's it like having NO SOUL?
    From
    Golgafrincham
    4 Weeks Ago  Jul 18, 2017, 9:58 PM - Re: Doctor Who opinions #848

Do you mean Rose and Amy? If so, I think that the fact that they are particularly English women whose behavioural nuances may be lost on audiences not observing them in situ, as it were. In other words, when viewed in a purely English context, from an English point of view, these two characters are exceptionally popular because they imbue their character with a sense of an "everywoman" (in the English sense, at least.)

I say this because I note that a lot of my Antipodean friends see Amy and Rose as a bit "grating" - when I ask them why, it is mostly because the vernacular often doesn't make sense without context.
    From
    Los Angeles
    4 Weeks Ago  Jul 18, 2017, 10:04 PM - Re: Doctor Who opinions #849

I'm kidding--

But I am always surprised again at the vitriol that Who fans have. I can't think of any other show where people love it, but HATE one particular character. Hating a particular Doctor, companion, show-runner and yet still considering oneself a fan seems to be unique to Whovians.

I don't hate ANY of them cause I like the show. I think some are certainly better than others, but I'd never have the level of hate some of you do and still actually watch the show.

But Donna is my favorite companion (followed closely by Amy) so what do I know?
    From
    Southern California
    4 Weeks Ago  Jul 18, 2017, 10:52 PM - Re: Doctor Who opinions #850

What, you hated the 10th and 11th Doctors?