Doctor Who opinions

I know you're driving the Moffat hate train, you've made it pretty clear. Many times. ;) And though I don't agree with your opinion, you make perfectly valid points.

Still, I don't have a problem with how he handles the show on the whole. A lot of the stuff that drives you crazy and make you hate him just doesn't bother me.

I never cared for Donna, never will. It boils down to her portrayal and the actress, not so much how she was written. I was very happy once she was gone. I have a sneaking suspicion I will feel the same about Bill. Guess we'll see.

Definitely intrigued about Bill. She seems fairly cool but could get annoying fast. Not much to go on in two short minutes. Either way, I like her so far with the little screen time she's had.

For anyone interested in her outfit, I did some searching and her jacket is the TopShop MOTO Acid Oversized Jacket. You can also find the "WOW" patch on eBay by searching for "pop art wow patch". There is only one and it's in France. Looks to be the exact patch based on high res promo shots, they just cut off some of the outer circle.

I don't understand what's the appeal of making her from the 80's? How does that make someone interesting beyond the physical embodiment of "Huh, remember this?!"? If they're gonna go with plopping someone from the past in with the Doctor, have the balls to go far out with it. Like take some lowly, ignorant, slave from Classical Rome and not kill them off in the second part of the story arc. Hell, have the Doctor tote someone around that's like Archie Bunker. That would actually lend something dynamic to the show, for once.

If they want to shake things up, they could always have the large arc of the season relate to some other planet rather than earth.

I'd love to see them go a season without coming back to modern day England.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

They could pull a Turlough, I suppose. An apparent earthling who turns out to actually be from another planet.

I hope they don't, though, because Turlough was kind of a sniveling creep through most of his run.

I haven't seen othor threads so far for season ten, which is set to start airing in April, so I guess I'll resurrect this one.

To start off, here's the trailer: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=o3x4YF3EisE&feature=youtu.be
(Sorry, I don't know how to imbed videos)

And now, my random comments and ramblings: First off, I love the outfits. I love the variation, it's much more realistic, and also hearkens back to the Tom Baker era when he didn't have a set costume. Just a maintained aesthetic/style. And now, about the actual series... I have high hopes, which is why I'm scared about how it will turn out. Also scared because of Sherlock. And The Return of Doctor Mysterio. But series nine was excellent, so hopefully this will be of the same caliber. I've got an open mind about Bill, and I was surprised to find that I didn't really mind Nardole in Doctor Mysterio.

I refuse to watch it until Moffat is gone.

I really liked some of the stuff in the last season. Everything with Me was pure gold. And that one where he was trapped in the castle.

But generally, I hate Moffat

- - - Updated - - -

I haven't seen othor threads so far for season ten, which is set to start airing in April, so I guess I'll resurrect this one.

To start off, here's the trailer: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=o3x4YF3EisE&feature=youtu.be
(Sorry, I don't know how to imbed videos)

And now, my random comments and ramblings: First off, I love the outfits. I love the variation, it's much more realistic, and also hearkens back to the Tom Baker era when he didn't have a set costume. Just a maintained aesthetic/style. And now, about the actual series... I have high hopes, which is why I'm scared about how it will turn out. Also scared because of Sherlock. And The Return of Doctor Mysterio. But series nine was excellent, so hopefully this will be of the same caliber. I've got an open mind about Bill, and I was surprised to find that I didn't really mind Nardole in Doctor Mysterio.

Iiked doctor mysterio. It was a pretty great christmas episode

I really liked some of the stuff in the last season. Everything with Me was pure gold. And that one where he was trapped in the castle.

But generally, I hate Moffat

I detest Moffat. I thought it was impossible to hate what anyone had done to Doctor Who more than what Russell T. Davies did, but Moffat has managed it.

- - - Updated - - -

Understandable. I think he's become a terrible show runner. But his individual episodes are usually absolute genius, with the exception of most of the Christmas specials.

No, not his individual episodes, but a few, very rare, episodes are worth watching. Overall, I dislike what he's done and the quality of his episodes are pretty awful.

After that last episode of "Sherlock" I almost damaged my vocal cords yelling death threats at Moffat and Gatiss. They destroyed the character, they wreaked the premise of the series , they made it a total bloody panto from start to finish with the most incredibly stupid and illogical jumps in the story narrative. I loathed it with a depth of dislike I had not felt since.....since the same thing happened to Dr Who.
Which, I suppose, is not really surprising since Dr Who was always a time travelling mystery solving detective-sorry- scientist who also found himself in some highly unlikely predicaments.
But never did I guess that this creeping deadly disease , this terrifying moffatization that slowly warps and morphs everything original about the characters and programs into something unrecognisably terrible would be so unstoppable.
The faces may change but the sadly the deeper problems haven't. I have little to no hope for the majority of this new series. So be prepared for some of the darkest bile ,scorn and vitriol ever to be posted here in this thread once this returns to the screen this spring.

Illogical jumps are what Moffats do best!

I haven't watched anything past Season 3 of Sherlock.

Here's the thing. Moffat is amazing at nailing atmosphere and, for want of a better work, "vibe." The "vibe" of his shows is, at least initially, compelling and it draws you in. But over time, you begin to learn that there really isn't much more to what he has to offer than "vibe." There's no deeper exploration of characters except as extension of that "vibe." Plots are primarily in service to the "vibe" of the show, which explains why ass-pull plot resolutions are the order of the day. His plot resolutions regularly just slap confusing crap together, but if you step back and squint, you can see how it all supports the overall "vibe" of the show. It's like a jigsaw puzzle of a pointilist painting, where he just kind of jams pieces together that still mostly look right, but don't actually fit. The overall feeling is there, but the closer you look, the more amateurish it seems.

I think a lot of the people who love the Moffat era are more into the overall feeling of the show, and don't particularly care (the same as Moffat himself) about the details. I, on the other hand, care about both. I want the feeling, sure, but I want the details to work, too.

I'll put this another way. BBC America is a channel that I have watched for basically 3 shows in recent years: Doctor Who, Orphan Black, and The Last Kingdom. That's it. We're down to two shows now, with Doctor Who having been demoted to "Eh, whenever I get to it" status. To put that in perspective, I classify The 100 in that same category. I watch it on Netflix during the summer when the pickings are otherwise slim. Doctor Who USED to be "appointment TV" for me, and I really did love it from 2005 up through the first year or two of Matt Smith's era. But it's been downhill from there.

Illogical jumps are what Moffats do best!

I haven't watched anything past Season 3 of Sherlock.

Here's the thing. Moffat is amazing at nailing atmosphere and, for want of a better work, "vibe." The "vibe" of his shows is, at least initially, compelling and it draws you in. But over time, you begin to learn that there really isn't much more to what he has to offer than "vibe." There's no deeper exploration of characters except as extension of that "vibe." Plots are primarily in service to the "vibe" of the show, which explains why ass-pull plot resolutions are the order of the day. His plot resolutions regularly just slap confusing crap together, but if you step back and squint, you can see how it all supports the overall "vibe" of the show. It's like a jigsaw puzzle of a pointilist painting, where he just kind of jams pieces together that still mostly look right, but don't actually fit. The overall feeling is there, but the closer you look, the more amateurish it seems.

I think a lot of the people who love the Moffat era are more into the overall feeling of the show, and don't particularly care (the same as Moffat himself) about the details. I, on the other hand, care about both. I want the feeling, sure, but I want the details to work, too.

I'll put this another way. BBC America is a channel that I have watched for basically 3 shows in recent years: Doctor Who, Orphan Black, and The Last Kingdom. That's it. We're down to two shows now, with Doctor Who having been demoted to "Eh, whenever I get to it" status. To put that in perspective, I classify The 100 in that same category. I watch it on Netflix during the summer when the pickings are otherwise slim. Doctor Who USED to be "appointment TV" for me, and I really did love it from 2005 up through the first year or two of Matt Smith's era. But it's been downhill from there.

Come on man. Don't reruns of Star Trek and CSI Miami scream British TV to you?

...Doctor Who USED to be "appointment TV" for me, and I really did love it from 2005 up through the first year or two of Matt Smith's era. But it's been downhill from there.
That's about the time they lost me as well. I never really cared for Matt Smith's version of the Doctor--I eventually got used to his hyperactive hijinks, but felt he was too young and didn't have the life experiences to believably pull off the gravitas that The Doctor often reveals. I was hopeful when Peter Capaldi took over the role but, as I've mentioned here before, it wasn't until Jenna Coleman left that Capaldi was finally allowed to show a little of what he could do despite Moffat's "idiot savant" treatment of the show. Capaldi brought me back to it somewhat, and I'm interested in seeing what the new cast will bring to the show, but...well, time will tell.

Actually that was a double-whammy.

US getting the shaft on the Doctor - again. The announcement said new eps airing on the BBC in April...and later in the US. :( :(

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back