Kurtyboy's project updates: 24 July - More blasters

Re: Working on some more props: 15 Oct - Lightsaber upgrades

Beautiful collection Markus. Im not a huge blaster fan but the range is amazing and the sabers are incredible. Really makes me think I want to make and build a vader someday if I can ever get an MPP.

Re: Working on some more props: 15 Oct - Lightsaber upgrades

Thanks guys. I have a few more blasters and even more not pictured that are currently in progress or being upgraded.

blasterwall1.jpg

blasterwall2.jpg

Also have a few more sabers plus another three I'm working on. I used to have all the prequel sabers but sold them along with most of my prequel props.
moresabers1.jpg

Re: Working on some more props: 22 Oct - More lightsabers

Seeing NeoRutty's fine work on his Holiday Special saber I decided to improve mine. So I cut out new shroud parts from sheet aluminium. To get them curved to the shape of a Graflex I wrapped masking tape around the tube to protect it, placed the aluminium piece on the tube and pressed it on, then put masking tape over it to hold it in place and tapped one side with a hammer while firmly holding down the other side.
holidaysaber5.jpg

holidaysaber6.jpg

holidaysaber7.jpg

holidaysaber8.jpg

holidaysaber9.jpg

Also started working on a new control box. I'm going for quite a wide plain box because that's just what I see. I will add rails later.
holidaysaber4.jpg

And another lightsaber in the works. The severed hand I showed earlier will give you a clue!
lukehand2.jpg

Impressive...most impressive: what a great collection!
Thanks for sharing:)

Awesome stuff. Lovin' the Holiday Special lightsaber conversions people are doing lately. I may have to tackle this prop when I return to the states.

Cool, Your curving trick worked really well... I'll have to remember that...

Looking forward to seeing what you're planning with the severed hand saber... I myself have been itching to make the Duracell Vader or Barbican (apparently I have an affinity for ugly sabers)

I'd like a Barbican saber too. A few folk talked about offering parts but never did in the end as far as I know.

Finished my Luke ESB severed hand saber although I may remove the tabs inside the clamp as it looks like the red button should be lined up with the control box. I've had plans to make this saber since buying the prosthetic hand from someone here nearly ten years ago but only just got round to it!

It's a real Graflex with Gino grips. I went for slightly curved grip ends although some are almost angled. The circuit board is a real one I got from Marv which was missing one silver line so I added that with aluminium tape.

lukehand3.jpg

lukehand4.jpg

lukehand5.jpg

lukehand6.jpg

lukehand7.jpg

lukehand8.jpg

The originals:
lukehand9.jpg

lukehand10.jpg

Re: Working on some more props: 23 Oct - Luke ESB severed hand saber

Nice work ... so that saber had 7 grips, no D-ring nor the bunny ears or inside guts ... hence it must have been from ANH originally ... so was it a stunt version without the electric driven blade?

. . . eventhough one of those non-graflex based was already used in lightsaber practise between Hamill and Prowse during ESB production?

Chaim

Last edited:

Definitely originally from ANH but where I don't know. This one is a real Graflex unlike the bladed stunt which is a machined tube.

I learned something today.

Well two things.

1. I didn't know there was a specific saber for the scene.

2. I will probably do one now.

I would have to wait until I find a crappy graflex though... I don't really want to lose that many parts on a good one.

Just lookin at this reference photo, and it sure looks like it doesn't have a Graflex clamp to me. It's got some kinda box on it, but it looks too flat and featureless to be a clamp, and also there doesn't appear to be any traces of a clamp on the tube either. The box looks way high up in relation to the grips too.

It's also missing the little switch on the side. You can see the dark rectangular cutout where it used to be. (Like the MoM Vader has.)

Seems like a waste of a good Graflex IMHO. One poor reference image, too much guessing has to happen. What's the box on the side? Where are the bulb ear tabs? Are they folded in, or broken off? Is there something in that charge port hole? Looks awfully bright to be simply looking into a dark, hollow tube.

Just food for thought. :)

How did you go about getting that hand?

Could well be no clamp there. I couldn't make out the top end of it but put it down to a bad photo. I did notice the missing switch though and started to doubt it being a real Graflex, but you can see the tab and post are present. Anyhow, I'm happy with the way it is until such time as a decent photo emerges ;)

El, I bought the hand in the Junkyard nearly ten years ago.

Just lookin at this reference photo, and it sure looks like it doesn't have a Graflex clamp to me. It's got some kinda box on it, but it looks too flat and featureless to be a clamp, and also there doesn't appear to be any traces of a clamp on the tube either. The box looks way high up in relation to the grips too.

It's also missing the little switch on the side. You can see the dark rectangular cutout where it used to be. (Like the MoM Vader has.)

Seems like a waste of a good Graflex IMHO. One poor reference image, too much guessing has to happen. What's the box on the side? Where are the bulb ear tabs? Are they folded in, or broken off? Is there something in that charge port hole? Looks awfully bright to be simply looking into a dark, hollow tube.

Just food for thought. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Got some styrene strips so working on adding some detail to the Holiday Special control box. May try wider strips.
holidaysaber11.jpg

I always planned on keeping this real MPP unmolested but decided to do another Vader after all!
vaderanh3.jpg

Re: Working on some more props: 24 Oct - Another Vader lightsaber in the works

TWO MPP's...

Ya *******...

As a saber guy, not a HUGE mpp fan, but as a completeist... It's going to drive me nuts having some sort of replica...

Quite like the wide control box...

Maybe I should make a wide control box version... hm.

Never ends.

Last MPP I've seen lately went for over $1000 ... so that's a small fortune on said kitchen counter right there :)

Chaim

Got a third MPP tube in my Boba Fett ESB blaster! ;)

TWO MPP's...

Ya *******...

As a saber guy, not a HUGE mpp fan, but as a completeist... It's going to drive me nuts having some sort of replica...

Quite like the wide control box...

Maybe I should make a wide control box version... hm.

Never ends.

OMG...1000$ for the MPP............ I wish I would have been earlier on the boat:facepalm:behave

It's like any market offer and demand ... I snatched mine in around 2006 and paid something like $200 ... so either be patient till the price drops or start saving monthly now ;) ... by the way Andymac84 I've seen your OB1 and it's fully finished before mine ... and I started looking about 30 years ago :wacko

Chaim

Finished my ANH Vader (V1) lightsaber. Real MPP with Gino grips. Went for angled grip ends this time and removed the MPP nameplate. Also installed the nail into the clamp which was an absolute nightmare of trial and error until it worked and caused much unwanted damage in the process!

vaderanh4.jpg

vaderanh5.jpg

vaderanh6.jpg

vaderanh7.jpg

vaderanh8.jpg

vaderanh9.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back