Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
Subscribe
  1. RPF Premium Member BobasBounty's Avatar
    From
    Charlottesville, VA
    Oct 22, 2014, 11:20 AM - Re: Working on some more props: 22 Oct - More lightsabers #26

Awesome stuff. Lovin' the Holiday Special lightsaber conversions people are doing lately. I may have to tackle this prop when I return to the states.
    From
    Vancouver, BC. Canada
    Oct 22, 2014, 12:48 PM - Re: Working on some more props: 22 Oct - More lightsabers #27

Cool, Your curving trick worked really well... I'll have to remember that...

Looking forward to seeing what you're planning with the severed hand saber... I myself have been itching to make the Duracell Vader or Barbican (apparently I have an affinity for ugly sabers)
    From
    UK
    Oct 23, 2014, 12:54 PM - Re: Working on some more props: 22 Oct - More lightsabers #28

I'd like a Barbican saber too. A few folk talked about offering parts but never did in the end as far as I know.

Finished my Luke ESB severed hand saber although I may remove the tabs inside the clamp as it looks like the red button should be lined up with the control box. I've had plans to make this saber since buying the prosthetic hand from someone here nearly ten years ago but only just got round to it!

It's a real Graflex with Gino grips. I went for slightly curved grip ends although some are almost angled. The circuit board is a real one I got from Marv which was missing one silver line so I added that with aluminium tape.

The originals:

From
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Oct 23, 2014, 2:47 PM - Re: Working on some more props: 23 Oct - Luke ESB severed hand saber #29

Nice work ... so that saber had 7 grips, no D-ring nor the bunny ears or inside guts ... hence it must have been from ANH originally ... so was it a stunt version without the electric driven blade?

. . . eventhough one of those non-graflex based was already used in lightsaber practise between Hamill and Prowse during ESB production?

Chaim
    Last edited by Sym-Cha; Oct 23, 2014 at 2:53 PM.
    From
    UK
    Oct 23, 2014, 3:06 PM - Re: Working on some more props: 23 Oct - Luke ESB severed hand saber #30

Definitely originally from ANH but where I don't know. This one is a real Graflex unlike the bladed stunt which is a machined tube.
    From
    Vancouver, BC. Canada
    Oct 23, 2014, 4:08 PM - Re: Working on some more props: 23 Oct - Luke ESB severed hand saber #31

I learned something today.

Well two things.

1. I didn't know there was a specific saber for the scene.

2. I will probably do one now.

I would have to wait until I find a crappy graflex though... I don't really want to lose that many parts on a good one.
    From
    Philadelphia, PA, USA
    Oct 24, 2014, 2:15 PM - Re: Working on some more props: 22 Oct - More lightsabers #32

Just lookin at this reference photo, and it sure looks like it doesn't have a Graflex clamp to me. It's got some kinda box on it, but it looks too flat and featureless to be a clamp, and also there doesn't appear to be any traces of a clamp on the tube either. The box looks way high up in relation to the grips too.

It's also missing the little switch on the side. You can see the dark rectangular cutout where it used to be. (Like the MoM Vader has.)

Seems like a waste of a good Graflex IMHO. One poor reference image, too much guessing has to happen. What's the box on the side? Where are the bulb ear tabs? Are they folded in, or broken off? Is there something in that charge port hole? Looks awfully bright to be simply looking into a dark, hollow tube.

Just food for thought.

From
    Vancouver, BC. Canada
    Oct 24, 2014, 2:32 PM - Re: Working on some more props: 23 Oct - Luke ESB severed hand saber #33

How did you go about getting that hand?
    From
    UK
    Oct 24, 2014, 5:10 PM - Re: Working on some more props: 22 Oct - More lightsabers #34

Could well be no clamp there. I couldn't make out the top end of it but put it down to a bad photo. I did notice the missing switch though and started to doubt it being a real Graflex, but you can see the tab and post are present. Anyhow, I'm happy with the way it is until such time as a decent photo emerges

El, I bought the hand in the Junkyard nearly ten years ago.

Jedi Reali said: View Post
    Just lookin at this reference photo, and it sure looks like it doesn't have a Graflex clamp to me. It's got some kinda box on it, but it looks too flat and featureless to be a clamp, and also there doesn't appear to be any traces of a clamp on the tube either. The box looks way high up in relation to the grips too.

It's also missing the little switch on the side. You can see the dark rectangular cutout where it used to be. (Like the MoM Vader has.)

Seems like a waste of a good Graflex IMHO. One poor reference image, too much guessing has to happen. What's the box on the side? Where are the bulb ear tabs? Are they folded in, or broken off? Is there something in that charge port hole? Looks awfully bright to be simply looking into a dark, hollow tube.

Just food for thought.
    - - - Updated - - -

Got some styrene strips so working on adding some detail to the Holiday Special control box. May try wider strips.

I always planned on keeping this real MPP unmolested but decided to do another Vader after all!
  10. RPF Premium Member NeoRutty's Avatar
    From
    Vancouver, BC. Canada
    Oct 24, 2014, 5:28 PM - Re: Working on some more props: 24 Oct - Another Vader lightsaber in the works #35

TWO MPP's...

Ya bastard...

As a saber guy, not a HUGE mpp fan, but as a completeist... It's going to drive me nuts having some sort of replica...

Quite like the wide control box...

Maybe I should make a wide control box version... hm.

Never ends.
    From
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Oct 24, 2014, 6:48 PM - Re: Working on some more props: 24 Oct - Another Vader lightsaber in the works #36

Last MPP I've seen lately went for over $1000 ... so that's a small fortune on said kitchen counter right there

Chaim
  12. RPF Premium Member kurtyboy's Avatar
    From
    UK
    Oct 24, 2014, 8:03 PM - Re: Working on some more props: 24 Oct - Another Vader lightsaber in the works #37

Got a third MPP tube in my Boba Fett ESB blaster!

NeoRutty said: View Post
    TWO MPP's...

Ya bastard...

As a saber guy, not a HUGE mpp fan, but as a completeist... It's going to drive me nuts having some sort of replica...

Quite like the wide control box...

Maybe I should make a wide control box version... hm.

Never ends.
    From
    Vilshofen - Germany
    Oct 24, 2014, 8:47 PM - Re: Working on some more props: 24 Oct - Another Vader lightsaber in the works #38

OMG...1000$ for the MPP............ I wish I would have been earlier on the boat
    From
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Oct 25, 2014, 7:49 AM - Re: Working on some more props: 24 Oct - Another Vader lightsaber in the works #39

It's like any market offer and demand ... I snatched mine in around 2006 and paid something like $200 ... so either be patient till the price drops or start saving monthly now ... by the way Andymac84 I've seen your OB1 and it's fully finished before mine ... and I started looking about 30 years ago

Chaim
  15. RPF Premium Member kurtyboy's Avatar
    From
    UK
    Oct 25, 2014, 11:55 AM - Re: Working on some more props: 24 Oct - Another Vader lightsaber in the works #40

Finished my ANH Vader (V1) lightsaber. Real MPP with Gino grips. Went for angled grip ends this time and removed the MPP nameplate. Also installed the nail into the clamp which was an absolute nightmare of trial and error until it worked and caused much unwanted damage in the process!

From
    Groningen, Netherlands
    Oct 25, 2014, 2:06 PM - Re: Working on some more props: 25 Oct - Vader ANH from real MPP complete #41

Excellent ... and I noticed you left the Exactra board underneath as well ... you think that's how it's always been from the start until ROTJ?

Chaim
    From
    Vilshofen - Germany
    Oct 25, 2014, 4:25 PM - Re: Working on some more props: 25 Oct - Vader ANH from real MPP complete #42

Yeah, nice. No, VERY NICE to keep the board under the bubbles! Looks awesome.
    Vader only or Luke, Obi, too?

Yes, exactly SymCha. It's probably also a thing of being in the right place at the right time.
    But, 30 years of passion didn't beat a lucky amount of parts
  18. RPF Premium Member kurtyboy's Avatar
    From
    UK
    Oct 25, 2014, 4:48 PM - Re: Working on some more props: 25 Oct - Vader ANH from real MPP complete #43

Cheers.

I might be struggling to get a circuit board into the Graflex sabers as the Exactra bubbles have been cut down to fit under the lips of the clamps. I'd have to file the bubble strips down quite a bit. I suppose I might get away with just glueing them on top of the board. I'll have a look.

Holiday Special control box ideas.

- - - Updated - - -

No way of really knowing for sure, but if the ESB to RotJ saber was left over from ANH then quite possibly.

Sym-Cha said: View Post
    Excellent ... and I noticed you left the Exactra board underneath as well ... you think that's how it's always been from the start until ROTJ?

Chaim
  19. RPF Premium Member BobasBounty's Avatar
    From
    Charlottesville, VA
    Oct 25, 2014, 10:36 PM - Re: Working on some more props: 25 Oct - Vader ANH from real MPP complete #44

Outstanding Vader lightsaber!

What are you using to make the SWHS lightsaber box? It's looking good. I need to come up with some box/clamp ideas for an OT style custom lightsaber I am working on using a Peak flashtube. Could go the easy route and get a replica Graflex clamp but I kinda want to scratch build something like what you are doing for the HS saber. Unfortunately good materials are hard to come by where I am located right now.

Andy
  20. RPF Premium Member kurtyboy's Avatar
    From
    UK
    Oct 26, 2014, 8:07 AM - Re: Working on some more props: 25 Oct - Vader ANH from real MPP complete #45

It's just 2mm sheet styrene and 4mm square styrene rod.
    From
    Philadelphia, PA, USA
    Oct 26, 2014, 12:56 PM - Re: Working on some more props: 25 Oct - Vader ANH from real MPP complete #46

Are those sidebars original to the MPP? I never realized the tops and bottoms were curved like that.
  22. Member Since
    Jan 2010
    Oct 26, 2014, 4:16 PM - Re: Working on some more props: 25 Oct - Vader ANH from real MPP complete #47

This is nice, really nice. As well as Jedi Reali's question on the sidebars is the silver part of the clamp (that the nail slides into) real? I own a few MPPs myself but they're all slightly different so it'd be good to learn about some more variations that are out there.
  23. RPF Premium Member kurtyboy's Avatar
    From
    UK
    Oct 26, 2014, 5:55 PM - Re: Working on some more props: 25 Oct - Vader ANH from real MPP complete #48

The sidebars are real to the best of my knowledge. I bought the MPP from a photographer who said to me "I hope you're not going to turn it into one of those awful Obi Wan Kenobi things!"

I'm pretty sure the clamp lever is real also as it came from my other real MPP that I converted into the ESB/RotJ. It's a bit mangled from when I prized it off the post.
  24. Member Since
    Jan 2010
    Oct 26, 2014, 6:11 PM - Re: Working on some more props: 25 Oct - Vader ANH from real MPP complete #49

Thanks for explaining and thanks for sharing; there are so many variations just on the three I own that I thought it well likely this could be another variation. How many different reflectors have you encountered? I do see those thin lines on the black of the pommel right?

It looks great by the way and really clean. Some of my clamps have those tell tale semi circular marks on them but I love these real part builds. Lovely piece of work.

I'll need to remove the MPP labels on mine at some point, firstly for Boba Fett; how did you remove yours?
    From
    Buffalo, New York, United States
    Oct 26, 2014, 10:45 PM - Re: Working on some more props: 25 Oct - Vader ANH from real MPP complete #50

beautiful sabers, seriously, you have a knack for this sort of thing. Where did you find your D ring for the MPP?

I also am not sure what to make of that Hand stunt. The gutted graflex is a nice idea. I think I see gaffer tape around the upper grip section.