Help making life cast silicone full head cast, can i cast silicone in silicone?

Sg2oo3

First time help please? I've researched so much and I'm tired:facepalm so it's my first time ever making a silicone mask and I want it to be AS realistic as possible, like fool people. And I was going to buy alignate since that's what everyone uses then I found out alginate is a one time use thing, so why do people use it? Since my face will be the base for my masks so they all fit well is there something else I can use that is more permanent but also picks up all the detail? Can I pour silicone in a silicone mold? Will a releasing agent take away the detail? What can I use? It seems like I have to buy dozens of different things that I don't even know what they do... Please help, thanks

Alginate is safe to use on on human skin vs something like urethane or silicon. So what you'll do is first make a mold with alginate and then use that to case one in something like plaster, then you can use that to make a silicon mold and start pumping out your casts. Search around on youtube, you'll find dozens if not hundreds of videos showing you how to do this.

Smooth-On have a product called Body Double Silicone which is mainly for lifecasting. This way you can get more pulls out of it then you would with a alginate mold. Smooth-On have a good video on youtube of them doing a full head cast with this stuff. Also search, "Life Casting Norm Tested". Also a clear video which shows the use of Body Double and how to use it :)

I second the post by JWMines. I use SmoothOn Body Double Silk, and it stands up for many casts, unlike alginate. Same kind of detail, but costs more--depends if you need more than one pull from it.

As for casting plat sil in plat sil mold, you need to use silicone mold spray release according to the directions. It's not like Pam cooking spray, you gotta do it correctly, or you might get cure inhibition or sticking together.

I bought my spray at a place called Fiberlay in Portland Oregon.

You'll have to search. Just watch which kind of silicone you use with which kind of mold casting, they are not all interchangeable. Even if you can't get Smooth On in the UK, you would do well to visit their site and watch some of their videos. You can never have too much information!

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back