Lil Astrid Kids Costume HTTYD SKS Props

SKS Props

Sr Member
Hey everyone I started a new build a couple days ago. I figure it's about time to get my family involved in my props and costumes. So....my next build will be for my youngest daughter Katie bug. I will be making Astrid costume and axe from How to Train you Dragon 2 or HTTYD. Lets get started.

For those who haven't seen the movie here is a sample pic

a1_zps863a0ca7.jpg

My first step was to make her the axe. Paper templates were drawn out and traced onto EVA foam.

a2_zps77af9e7a.jpg

The axe heads were cut out using a band saw and shaped using a belt sander.

a3_zpse88c7a8e.jpg

Using a block of wood with a nut and threaded rod I attached the handle and used craft foam to added additional details to the face of the axe.

a4_zpsd3b0b7c1.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Astrid from How to Train Your Dragon 2 for my Little Girl updated 9/23/14

Details are added to Astrid's axe using additional EVA foam and Foamies craft foam. All of the "leather will be primed and painted so the fact that the foam is yellow won't matter at all. My little astrid is super excited!!

a5_zpsf9fd0fe5.jpg

a6_zps3405a3d4.jpg

Re: Astrid from How to Train Your Dragon 2 for my Little Girl updated 9/26/14

The How to Train Your Dragon Astrid Axe is complete. I will now be moving onto the armor and outfit.

a11_zps24f1df2c.jpg

Re: Astrid from How to Train Your Dragon 2 for my Little Girl updated 10/1/14

Wow! That's fantastic work! I can see why she's excited! Halloween is going to be awesome for her this year!

When the axe was in its "rough" state, before plasti-dipping and painting, I thought that was the finished product...and it STILL looked awesome. This is cool. :)

I forgot to upload this on the RPF to show the scale of the axe to my lil' Astrid. It is 34 1/2 inches long and 17 1/2 inches wide.and weighs just under 2 pounds.

a9_zps8c5d42f3.jpg

Wow, totes amazing job, firstly your little girl is almost the spitting image so this is the perfect costume.

Fantastic work on that axe! You should enter your daughter into the kids section of the Halloween costume contest! :)

Completed the shoulder pads for lil' Astrid and attached them with velco to her shirt. She was so happy running around with her new armor pieces

a13_zpsa2d485a2.jpg

Re: Astrid from How to Train Your Dragon 2 for my Little Girl updated 10/2/14

Completed the furry boots for my little girls Astrid costume. I repainted some of her old rain boots and built some awesome fur sleeves that velcro around the boot.
a14_zps25f71177.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back