Need quick tips for making a mask out of clay

Strick9

Hey guys. I'm undertaking a sweet tooth cosplay costume for Halloween this year/ future comicons. I have already made the pants, suspenders, mangled machette, and even a little rig to (sort-of) make it look like my head is on fire. With all of that out of the way, the only think left to make is the mask and the head straps. This isn't going to be a mold to make a latex mask, i want the mask to be made from clay because its supposed to look like a mask, not his face. And since i'm a noob to clay, i have no idea what type will make the best finished product. I want it to be rigid and not likely to crack in half. I know some clay air dries, others can be baked in the oven, and some require a kiln and a glaze. So if the clay has to be baked, fired, or glazed, please include the time/temp too. Any and all advice is appreciated

Air drying clay isn't the best option. It will be extremely fragile and very heavy.
Not something you'd want to wear for any extended period of time.

I'd look into Smooth-On's Freeform Sculpt. It is a two part epoxy putty that you can sculpt like you would sculpt clay, but it hardens to a strong, lightweight epoxy. It can also be sanded and detailed to an extent after its cured so if you mess it up and need to change something it's very forgiving.

That or Super Sculpey. It's an oven bake-able clay like regular Sculpey but not crap after baking. It's probably not as hard as Freeform Sculpt but it's strong enough to be sanded and drilled and whatever else you need to do to it. You can find this in any hobby store, too.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back