Mass Effect N7 Armor

Redmauler

First time poster, First time builder!

I was challenged to do a "Cool" Halloween costume this year. I finally decided on doing a Mass Effect armor, partially through image searches and partially thanks to this website which I just found.

I am just sort of making it up as I go along, I tried to use Julian Beek's templates, but some of them (Like the pauldrons) made absolutely no sense to me and I couldn't figure out how to put them together. I only have the front chest plate constructed, and the top half of it is pictured below. I decided to redo the abs section due to mobility issues and I didn't like the look of it being textured. I'll go with a smooth abs look.

This weekend I hope to finish the back armor, wish me luck.

Upperchest.jpg

Updates:
Chestplate done,
20140913_190503.jpg

Last edited:
That is a great start! Looks really good!

Regarding the pauldrons, I believe that those templates are based upon Mass Effect 2 (I didn't use those templates for my own armor), so you can take a look at the reference images for the armor and try and puzzle out how to assemble them.

Trackboy, thanks for the info, it actually makes a little more sense now.

Small update, I redid the abs on the chestplate. After 3 iterations I decided to go with a jointed approach. This allows me to bend over and sit down without being uncomfortable. Unfortunately it takes from the overall look of the costume, but I'm willing to sacrifice some to be comfortable.

Back plate has begun, though I'm not sure I'm happy with it, the left side of the backplate looks a little wonky. Also, I couldn't tell if the upper backplate was one piece or two, I went with one, but I'm not sure I like it. I might build it again using two to see if it looks better.

Take a look at what I've done and if anyone has any suggestions let me know!

unnamed.jpg20140913_190503.jpg

*Edit, I noticed in the picture on the backplate it looks really messy with the gluing. It's virtually impossible to see in person, I think the flash just through it out in the pictures.

Last edited:
You're definitely-making a ME2 build of the armor! Looks great so far :) Have you considered sitting in your armor? Just a thought as to building in segmentation or the like!

You're definitely-making a ME2 build of the armor! Looks great so far :) Have you considered sitting in your armor? Just a thought as to building in segmentation or the like!

Yeah, I have considered sitting, it's where most of my changes in the armor are coming from. The back section is also segmented where the lower section meets the top section. I need to add in pictures of the inside of the armor. Basically the segments are held together with elastic, which gives them the option to stretch out and in. Stretching out was easy, but figuring out how to have the armor compress was a little tricky. Basically I made it so the armor can slide up into the torso and stretch the elastic in the process then when I stand back up, the stretch elastic will push the armor back down into place.

I'll update the build when I finish the shoulders, as that will complete the chest assembly. Been pretty busy and haven't been making as good of time on this as I would have liked.

Ok been a while since I've posted. I'm completely done with the armor above the waist. I'm redoing the leg armor as it just didn't look right on me.

Here are a couple pictures of the progress... I'll post more this week of the final product.

The Red/White stripe is unfinished in these pictures, I framed the red/white transition with a very thin black line that hid the sloppy transition. Looks much better now.20141026_085339.jpg
Sorry about the blurry photo, my potato doesn't take pictures well.
20141025_203526.jpg20141025_203509.jpg

Attachments

• 20141025_203509.jpg
    20141025_203509.jpg
    1,014 KB · Views: 59
  • 20141025_203526.jpg
    20141025_203526.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 71
I couldn't fit them on my leg and when I cut them apart to fit Velcro I found that I couldn't walk up stairs in them. I'm removing the calf guard to allow for more mobility. I've got them all built now and I'm going to paint them tomorrow/Thursday and hopefully be ready for Friday. Will post pictures of the painting process.

Painted a nerf gun to go with my costume and finished assembling my costume. Just need to finish painting the legs.
20141029_214254.jpg
Here are the legs/Shin armor
20141029_214340.jpg
Thigh armor
20141029_214353.jpg
Painted Nerf Gun
10645192_10101870349461637_4439518514095353449_n.jpg

How did you end up getting the thigh portion to sit correctly on your hips and not slip? I ended up making an elastic belt that went around the inside of the hips to keep it from slipping down my legs. However it hampers my ability to sit down comfortably.

I used a nylon belt that has clips on the inside of the circular weapon holsters. Then I used elastic instead of clips on the lower part of the thighs, so it fits snug on my leg and doesn't slip up or down when I sit. I also articulated the spine piece because I found that was where most of my sitting issues originated.

Ah elastic, great idea!! I was so hung up on attaching it to any other part of the costume would cause a huge amount of mobility reduction, but yes elastic would fix that! I'll have to pick some more up on my way home.

I actually used Elastic on the Chest and Back so I'd retain full mobility while wearing the chest.

Thanks!

Ok here we are, full armor. After wearing the armor for a full night I know now what I need to change.

armor.jpgarmorback.jpg

What needs to change:
1) The jointed chest did not work as intended, It gave me a lot of mobility, but it also made me look pregnant because it wanted to bow out from my stomach for some annoying reason. I'll have to remake the lower chest section.
2) The shoulders, I designed the shoulders to keep the back armor flush against my back because its top heavy, however I thought simple velcro would be enough to accomplish this, which it was, so long as I remained a statue and didn't make any movements. I'll need to add a sturdy buckle to hold the back armor to the shoulders.
3) General mobility, I had a great range of mobility, however some movements were exceedingly difficult and i'll have to make some minor adjustments to allow for the movements.
4) The belt I made to hold the hips in place broke almost immediately and I didn't have time to fashion the elastic connections between the hips and chest armor. I'll have to do that.

Looks great! I would recommend some additional strapping around the stomach/abdominal area to help with the bellowing. My armor does the opposite effect, it bends in! For the shoulders, a buckle on elastic would help with mobility but also keep things secured. Just my two cents from what I have on my own armor :)

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back