Another Groot costume **UPDATE 10/23

Nicktendo

For my inaugural RPF thread, I figured my Groot build for Halloween would suffice. With HurleyFX and Calen Hoffman (of Propcustomz) serving as major inspiration.

Here are some mask sculpt progress pics.
Bw1WMabIMAAycA-.jpg Bw84wDGIQAAwxK4.jpg BxEodj0IEAA3-nY.jpg
My first time sculpting anything! I think I'm doing okay. It will eventually be cast in latex.

Like others, for the suit, I'm covering a morph suit in pipe insulation. Despite what people have suggested, I'm going the full morph suit route. It'll be tough to get into/out of, but I feel it'll give a better flow to the whole suit.

As for the stilts...
Bu0d-3eIEAAsjqU.jpg
Secured an old pair of snowboard bindings to these homemade stilts. Adds about 13 inches to my 6'2". (And the mask will add another 6" to my head?) I'm in the process of sculpting upholstery foam around the boots/stilts that'll taper up around my knee to give it a good trunk/roots effect.

I've got big plans for the hands, too! That's all still experimental, though.

Last edited:
Re: Another Groot costume

how are the stilts working out I am going to do something similar can you please give more details on those.

Holy crap dude, this looks awesome. I can't wait to see more WIP pics!

Are you planning to take him to any cons?

That's outstanding work for your first try! I wanna see more!!!
Thank you! It's really coming along, I think.
how are the stilts working out I am going to do something similar can you please give more details on those.
I like the stilts. They give me a lot of ankle support (obviously) which was my concern, as I don't have a lot of stilt-walking experience. The tube is a really heavy duty cardboard tube I found at work (a print shop). I cut circles out of a 1"x8" and attached them to the inside of the openings of the tubes. The rest of the structure was cut out of 1"x6" I had around. It took couple iterations, but I'm happy with it. They're a bit heavy, but I really like that the "footprint" of the stilt is pretty much identical to the snowboard boot, so standing still doesn't take any effort or balance,
Holy crap dude, this looks awesome. I can't wait to see more WIP pics!

Are you planning to take him to any cons?
I would love to, but I live in Alaska! Not too many cons up here. But I'd definitely like him to be "con worthy" and bring him somewhere someday!

And here's a little progress shot of the profile I'm really happy with.
BxTUDRuIQAAMso0.jpg

Jumping between the mask (which is way more exciting to work on) and the foam structure that's going to house/hide the stilts (which I need to get done so I can graduate to vine work).

I purchased a bunch of Hydrocal to do the mold, but I'll be traveling down south in the state this weekend where there is supposedly a distributor of Smooth-On products. I may have to splurge and decide on a silicone mold so I can take bust pulls of resin, too... Thoughts? I'd love a mold I can take both latex (or silicone!) mask pulls from and resin pulls.

Last edited:

Slow progress. I was avoiding the leg structures because I tried a few different things before settling on upholstery foam (also known as camping foam or mattress foam) glued together with spray adhesive and carved down with an electric carving knife. (So freaking worth the $12 investment...)

legs1.jpglegs2.jpglegs3.jpglegs4.jpglegs5.jpg
(Sorry for the wonky orientation. No idea why it did that.)

The plan is to skin these with some thin fabric and latex paint with some rare earth magnets at key points. These foam bodies won't actually be physically attached to the stilts or suit. The boots/stilts will go on, the foam bodies with snap to those, and then the final "skin" (which the roots will be attached to) will drape over them. Complicated, maybe, but I'm trying to make this thing as easy to get into, get out of, and to transport as possible.

I also did pick up a bunch of Rebound 25, and my RD407 Mask Latex came in. Quite excited to work with all this stuff for the first time.

Thank you all for the kind words!

Progress is moving slower than it should be. I made the choice to continue my social life, which I kind of regret. It's going to need to stop if I want to get this done! I'm also going to blame the fact that I'm in Alaska, and ordering things through Amazon (even with Prime) takes closer to 4-5 days than 2 days...

But my magnets should be here later today, and I should be able to move forward on the "boots." Black sclera contacts ordered as well.

Mask progress is crawling. I got Rebound 25, but I hope to order some thinner/thickener to make the molding process easier. Here's where I stand now.
20140922_070515.jpg 20140922_070542.jpg 20140922_070602.jpg

Here's what I was tinkering with all weekend... The "articulated finger extensions."
First off, here's what I'm aiming for...

Using info from dead forum threads I found here and here, I made up my own template and had 3mm acrylic cut by Ponoko.com and pieced one together with some nylon "binding screws."
1606429_871731810942_5846782953262305001_o.jpg 10536529_871731795972_7203859786179353965_o.jpg 20140922_070449.jpg 20140922_070441.jpg 20140922_070429.jpg 20140922_070416.jpg

My design isn't perfect. If/when I do it again, I'll make some changes to my template, But I couldn't be happier with how the binding posts fit into the holes in the acrylic. Next step is to figure out a good placement method with washers and whatnot and get them on some shaped PVC that'll be housing my fingers. I bit off quite a lot, here. Let's see if I can't pull it off. I would just love the effect this would have...

Last edited by a moderator:

Can you take a photo of you with the stilts on, and draw over the photo?
That would work as a good preview of your proportions.
It might turn out you need full arm extensions. You never know.

Can you take a photo of you with the stilts on, and draw over the photo?
That would work as a good preview of your proportions.
It might turn out you need full arm extensions. You never know.
I'll get some photos in the stilts (and hopefully a video of a walking test) when the foam "stilt covers" are on to test out the magnet cling. I don't think I'll need arm extensions. I'm already pretty tall, so my arms already have some length, and these things are going to add at least six or seven inches to my finger tips. Plus, unlike full arm extensions, (probably driven by cables and springs) these things are just driven by the bending of my fingers and are a PART of my hand. So actually gripping things with them will be somewhat of an option.

I got antsy and ordered some "corrected" acrylic parts, as well as more hardware to get them all together. I also picked up some light weight plastic drain pipe that it looks like I'll be able to heat up and shape to make finger cuffs to attach the acrylic to, as well as shape around the mechanical fingers themselves to give them a rounded shape with the (hopefully) added bonus of a little protection to them as well.

I fear that I'm putting a lot into these hands, but I'm so excited about them... I really think they'll provide an extra "Wow" factor. Plus, I'll have some sweet big monster hands for future occasions!

Thank you all for the kind words!

Progress is moving slower than it should be. I made the choice to continue my social life, which I kind of regret. It's going to need to stop if I want to get this done! I'm also going to blame the fact that I'm in Alaska, and ordering things through Amazon (even with Prime) takes closer to 4-5 days than 2 days...

But my magnets should be here later today, and I should be able to move forward on the "boots." Black sclera contacts ordered as well.

Mask progress is crawling. I got Rebound 25, but I hope to order some thinner/thickener to make the molding process easier. Here's where I stand now.
View attachment 379687 View attachment 379688 View attachment 379689

Here's what I was tinkering with all weekend... The "articulated finger extensions."
First off, here's what I'm aiming for...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcJZOFwKY5Q

Using info from dead forum threads I found here and here, I made up my own template and had 3mm acrylic cut by Ponoko.com and pieced one together with some nylon "binding screws."
View attachment 379693 View attachment 379694 View attachment 379695 View attachment 379696 View attachment 379697 View attachment 379698

My design isn't perfect. If/when I do it again, I'll make some changes to my template, But I couldn't be happier with how the binding posts fit into the holes in the acrylic. Next step is to figure out a good placement method with washers and whatnot and get them on some shaped PVC that'll be housing my fingers. I bit off quite a lot, here. Let's see if I can't pull it off. I would just love the effect this would have...

This looks pretty damn solid so far man, definitely gna be following this build :D

Sorry for the lack of updates. I basically took a week off. Shame on me...

love the amount of detail you are putting into this. great job!

It's an honor to hear that from you! Your Rocket build is an inspiration!

This looks pretty damn solid so far man, definitely gna be following this build :D

Thank you!

how are your hands coming along?

I tried about 4 different things to use as the finger "caps," but I think I finally found something that'll work.

The black piece was the replacement piece I ordered. This was hobbled together with some hot glue as a proof-of-concept, and I almost can't believe it worked... Now just to make all 10! After Halloween, I plan on investing in a 3D printer, and I can see a refined version of these hands being one of my first projects.

Finished carving up the legs and gluing in magnets. Here's a test fitting.
20140929_221203.jpg 20140929_221151.jpg 20140929_221127.jpg
(Does anyone know how to rotate attachments? Haha.)
They're now in the process of being "skinned" (Which I've since decided is an unnecessary step, but I've started it, so I'll finish it.) I'll probably add some velcro for good measure, but I'm happy with them.

This weekend will be productive. I promise. (<- Internal dialogue)

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Another Groot costume **UPDATE 10/3

Little mask update. Sculpting vines is hard!

1979232_874077619922_7793968577079262110_o.jpg 10669093_874077674812_3901793830243661093_o.jpg 10481920_874077654852_2123138003121179746_o.jpg 10679894_874077639882_6041950218069055454_o.jpg

I've decided to REALLY aim on Saturday to be mold day, so every night this week is set aside for mask work. Does anyone have any good shots of the top and the back of Groot's head from the movie? I have some photos of a toy, but it doesn't help all that much. I'll probably just have to wing it. Not like anyone will be able to see the top of my head anyway. But I will know! I figure if I'm going to all the effort to mold it, it should be awesome.

Side note: is there any interest out there for latex pulls?

I also got over the hump getting the legs put together, so bodysuit vine work can finally begin. It should actually start looking like a costume soon...

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back